Schools Out For Summer!

Gilbert

Where's a great or unique vacation place where my girls can experience something different than the usual beach or Caribbean island thing. Seems we're always going to the beach somewhere, and I'd like to try something different.

I'm thinking something inland, and most importantly, fun and adventurous for a couple of out doorsey girls. It'll have to be pet friendly, or at least we'll need a pet friendly hotel/motel since they've got a couple of spoiled rotten wiener dogs that can't stand to be left out of the family fun stuff.

Edited by Gilbert

Try New Mexico.  Check out the Grand Canyon in nearby Az. and ride a hot air ballon in NM.  Lots of other historical stuff to do.  Colonial Williamsburg Va. is also nice.  You can do that for 3-4 days.  Sea World, Washington D.C. is near by and a ton of area attraction.

Perhaps you could rent something like this http://www.americandreamvacations.net/locations.php?event=loc&list=rent.

You could head to the Appalachian Mountains and go to places like Blue Ridge Parkway. The mountains over here are beautiful.

Camping, hiking, rafting, kayak, canoe, fishing, zip-lines, climbing, great food, friendly people, Biltmore Estates, Dollywood, Churchill Downs, bourbon distilleries.

The best adventure we ever had as a family was this: 

http://www.mainewindjammercruises.com/

We have done a lot and been a lot of places, but this trumps them all easily. We went on the Mercantile. Best food I have ever had.  Cooked on a woodburning stove in the belly of the ship. 

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Rafting would be good if you didn't need to bring the dogs.  I'd think just about any national park and many state parks would fit the bill.  Canoeing Maine's Allagash wilderness has been on my bucket list, and is quite different from Texas and the tropics...but it takes a little more effort to get there.

• Like 1

We took our 3 daughters to a dude ranch in Colorado a few years ago. They ranged from 9-13 yrs old at the time and they had a blast. Lots to do, rafting, fishing, riding, archery, shooting, and of course riding. My wife and I took a fly fishing tutorial.

The one thing to keep in mind is other than a couple trips to Durango for rafting and to take in a play you are on the ranch the entire week. It's beautiful country but got to see just a small slice of it. Not something to do if you want to see the sights. But the girls absolutely loved it.

Adirondacks.  Stunning beauty.  A zillion lakes and streams and great people.  Very family oriented. Kids are sure to meet somebody to hang/play with.  The air is perfumed with Balsam pines and the lakes are home to the laugh of Loons.

• Like 1

The best adventure we ever had as a family was this: 

http://www.mainewindjammercruises.com/

We have done a lot and been a lot of places, but this trumps them all easily. We went on the Mercantile. Best food I have ever had.  Cooked on a woodburning stove in the belly of the ship. 

This I could do this, and would love to sail the Caribbean this way, and my girls would likely make a go of it, so long as we make a decent port every couple days.... but the wife gets sea sick just a few hundred yards from shore.... seriously.  She'd never last.

You're a week late, could've gone to the Indy 500 :D

Waiting in a long lines, walking miles of parking lot and watching cars drive in circles only to see the best drafter win isn't a vacation. Not my cup of tea, and pretty darn sure the girls would club me like a baby seal if I took'em to the Indy 500.

colorado! Wyoming! both very beautiful with lots of outdoor activities. 

Where?  I love parts of NM, most of AZ, CO, WY, UT. Lots of beautiful scenery for sure. Don't exactly know what's the hot spots.... any ideas.

I've also investigated the RV rental thing, but price-wise, I don't see an advantage over taking my own vehicle and staying in a motel. RV's are comfy enough for me, used one this past year while chasing mule deer. Bed's are alright, but with my snoring the kids will club me like a baby seal.

Rafting would be good if you didn't need to bring the dogs.  I'd think just about any national park and many state parks would fit the bill.  Canoeing Maine's Allagash wilderness has been on my bucket list, and is quite different from Texas and the tropics...but it takes a little more effort to get there.

Now your talking..... the wieners have their very own life vests too. We take them to the lake all the time, they love boat rides too. Just not sure how well they'd hold up in that environment.

West Virginia features white water rafting on the New River Gorge. This isn't lying on the beach, this is close up and personal interacting with the river. You have to be seeking adventure and excitement to do this, but it is a lifetime memory type of vacation. https://www.adventuresonthegorge.com/

BingO, I think we have a winner. Need to go to Atlanta so my future driver can do the Skip Barber school, and this would work. Choices for the driving school are Lime Rock or Road America..... was leaning toward CA, but Atlanta would work out for the adventure resort.

Thanks very much for the info.

We took our 3 daughters to a dude ranch in Colorado a few years ago. They ranged from 9-13 yrs old at the time and they had a blast. Lots to do, rafting, fishing, riding, archery, shooting, and of course riding. My wife and I took a fly fishing tutorial. The one thing to keep in mind is other than a couple trips to Durango for rafting and to take in a play you are on the ranch the entire week. It's beautiful country but got to see just a small slice of it. Not something to do if you want to see the sights. But the girls absolutely loved it.

This might work also, especially the horse back riding, rafting and archery parts. Durango's a gorgeous area year round too. Thanks.

Edited by Gilbert

BingO, I think we have a winner. Need to go to Atlanta so my future driver can do the Skip Barber school, and this would work. Choices for the driving school are Lime Rock or Road America..... was leaning toward CA, but Atlanta would work out for the adventure resort. Thanks very much for the info.

Check with Mustang Guy if you are planning to go to the New River Gorge.  He does some fishing in that part of the state and may have some suggestions.

And if you roll through Parkersburg WV let me know, both Craig and I are local.  New River Gorge is probably 3 hours from us.

Where's a great or unique vacation place where my girls can experience something different than the usual beach or Caribbean island thing. Seems we're always going to the beach somewhere, and I'd like to try something different.

I'm thinking something inland, and most importantly, fun and adventurous for a couple of out doorsey girls. It'll have to be pet friendly, or at least we'll need a pet friendly hotel/motel since they've got a couple of spoiled rotten wiener dogs that can't stand to be left out of the family fun stuff.

Tough to beat Banff National Park in Alberta Canada:dq00167.jpg

• Like 1