Wild Horses

oldtimer

Couldn't drag me away....

Now that the Stones  are out of the way, in other news:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/after-uproar-us-government-says-does-not-plan-to-kill-wild-horses/ar-BBwaryz?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Seems like a waste of resources to me.  How does this compare to the venison harvest, and plus add back the 50 million somewhere.

I eat venison regularly, but never horse meat.  It would seem that the wild horse herds need to be thinned or they may starve.  The whitetail deer would starve if the hunters didn't thin them out.  I'm sure horse is a great source of protein.  I say harvest away and export the meat to Spain.

• Like 1

Texas Agriculture Code § 149.002. Sale or Possession of Horsemeat

A person commits an offense if:
(1) the person sells, offers for sale, or exhibits for sale horsemeat as food for human consumption;  or
(2) the person possesses horsemeat with the intent to sell the horsemeat as food for human consumption.

• Moderators

Having lived in and hunted in Nevada I can tell you it is a major problem.  Wild horses (which is a misnomer)  have no predator, they stand on what little water there may be and let nothing else get close.

The problem started when someone came up with the romantic notion that a clue of herds should be protected and allowed to roam free.  They need to all be herded up and an announcement made that they be adopted,  those that are not will have to be destroyed. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Can we introduce lions into their habitat?  Then when the lions overpopulate the region just charge for safaris to have lion hunts.  Nobody likes lions.

I mean really, what could go wrong?

There are lions,  Mountain Lions, they won't go after a horse