Cubs and Indians

JJkizak

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

This is like the summer and winter solstices at Stonehenge at the same time.  Combine that with the Spring and harvest sacrifices and you get the idea.

How about baseball AND basketball going to game 7 in the same year?

3 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Now we're having some fun again.  Keep it light hearted and just enjoy the game tonight and may your team win!

If I watch game 7 tonight and if you add up all the playoff AND world series games played this year, I will have watched 1 game!

40 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I don't think for the average American, it really makes a difference.  Most people just don't care and will choose who they like or don't like.  Throwing out the opening ball is not going to take anything away from the game.  I think Pete Rose and Arod would agree.

If I might come out of the gutter for a moment to offer a cogent comment...

Tonight is a historic game and there is nothing else going on from a professional sports perspective.  A LOT of casual fans will tune in who probably haven't watched a game all year.  MLB is going to score a lot of PR from tonight's game.

The NFL has had falling TV numbers this season and a lot of people think it's due to the player protests, kneeling, sitting for the national anthem that has contributed to this.  The NFL is fanatically committed to protecting the brand and they want a squeaky clean image.  They have had a bit of an image problem this year and everybody knows it.

Major League Baseball is the poor cousin to the NFL and I think they view this game as a way to capture some market share in terms of national exposure.  I am sure they want tonight to be about the flag, mom's apple pie, truth justice and the American way.  And baseball.  They will NOT be wanting protests or controversies.

It's now a non-issue since Sheen seems to have been un-invited to throw out the first pitch, but look how much we on this board are fretting about it?  I think we represent a pretty good slice of America.

I for one would rather be talking about the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I am sure they want tonight to be about the flag, mom's apple pie, truth justice and the American way.  And baseball.  They will NOT be wanting protests or controversies.

ESPN's "Outside the Lines" this week had a feature on Cleveland's racist mascot.  They're going to have controversy especially if Chief Wahoo's team wins.  No one wants controversy, it's more desirable to just sweep it under the rug. 

18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I for one would rather be talking about the game.

I can't name one single major league player since the days of Ozzie Smith and Bo Diddley other than Tebow, and only him because he showed up on Drudge Report recently.  But recreating a legendary movie scene, I'd tune in for that.  

Just now, CECAA850 said:

ESPN's "Outside the Lines" this week had a feature on Cleveland's racist mascot.  They're going to have controversy especially if Chief Wahoo's team wins.  No one wants controversy, it's more desirable to just sweep it under the rug. 

Two comments:  (actually, a question and comment)

I didn't know that.  The WS is being broadcast on Fox Sports, do you think the mascot "issue" will be brought up?  I really don't know.  It was brought up with regards to the Washington Redskins as well and that issue has been resolved by the courts in favor of the team.

Second:  I hate the way ESPN constantly stirs the racist pot.  They are the most racist and political of all the media out there, more than CNN, Fox and all the other major networks put together!

Just now, wvu80 said:

Second:  I hate the way ESPN constantly stirs the racist pot.  They are the most racist and political of all the media out there, more than CNN, Fox and all the other major networks put together!

Hence the problem with the Charlie situation.  It probably wouldn't be a problem otherwise but the media would make it one.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The NFL has had falling TV numbers this season and a lot of people think it's due to the player protests, kneeling, sitting for the national anthem that has contributed to this

A lot of people won't say the real truth is that their product has gotten much worse over the last twenty years.  Rule changes and interpretations, combined with inconsistent and selective enforcement has destroyed the game from what we knew as children.  Most people don't watch the anthem or see who is sitting or whatever, they start at the opening kickoff.  Try watching a game by flipping channels when the commercials start.  When you flip to another game, chances are it's also a commercial.  Flip back and it's a commercial.  There's what? 40 minutes or so of action in 3 and a half hours?  Hey it's a touchdown or field goal, then a commercial---back to the kickoff---then a commercial.  Intentional grounding is now legal if it is to stop the clock.  More and more teams are playing in domes, when football used to be the sport that played in just about any weather and was proud of it.  Player protests, kneeling, or sitting before the start is nothing compared to the antics they display during the game.  The image problem is more due to overarching greed than anything else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Most people don't watch the anthem or see who is sitting or whatever, they start at the opening kickoff.  Try watching a game by flipping channels when the commercials start.  When you flip to another game, chances...(respectful snip!)

I 100% agree, but now people don't have a choice but to become involved in it because the sports media zoom in on it and then comment on it for 20 minutes.  It touches on our patriotism and a bunch of other social issues the MEDIA wants to talk about.

I agree with you on all your other comments, I just snipped for brevity.  :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Umm, I heard they lost their trademark protection logo status.

They did a couple of years ago, stripped by a court.  Subsequent court battles restored to them their trademark protection. (Edit)  Well, I was certain ^^^but I looked it up and it looks like they ultimately LOST that battle.  So I don't know.  :(

It is hard to keep up with.  :wacko: