Your Advice on Replacing AT&T Cell Phone - Help!!!

WMcD

I've been with AT&T cell service for years and have run beyond any contract period.  I'd like to stay with them.

I have an HTC M7 which I like, in part because I found the FM radio software.  Very useful at the heath club where the TV program is transmitted by low power FM.  And I listen to FM on the bus while commuting.

Now, the M7 is dead because of a sim card issue.  Yup I tried the tape trick and it doesn't work.

Now I need a replacement phone.  I've talked to AT&T and it seems that all replacements, even Internet refurbished deals, will require a commitment to long term contract with monthly additions to pay off the new unit, or, maybe an up front cost upwards of $350.

On e-Bay I see second hand AT&T M7's or M8's at about $150 or less.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing or unlocked phones generally?

Thanks,

WMcD

No one does long term contracts anymore, they're a thing of the past.

I suggest you find the phone you want, then go with Straight Talk (Walmart) at $45 per month unlimited everything.  Depending on where you live there may be even more lower priced options than that.

I use ST and they use the Verizon towers where I live.  No smart phone, $30 per month.  I quit Verizon to go with ST.  It is 100% reliable, just has a lower price.

Cricket is an at&t company and provides cheaper services over the same equipment. You should also check. I still have a sony 810 that works well. I bought it, unlocked, to use when I traveled to the Philippines. I bought a sim card for a philippines based company before I traveled, had a local and chap minutes while there. Later, at home I got an AT&T GoPhone sim card. Eventually switched from Verizon to AT&T.

Thanks for all the tips.  From years ago I thought using non-ATT equipment was difficult.  It is not.

I checked the Microcenter website this morning and found an open box special on an ASUS.  So I took the CTA over there.  At first the sales guy said that one had been sold or was AWOL per the computer.  Then he found it in the bottom of a cabinet.  Paid my money and took the bus back home.

I transferred the SIM card and it worked perfectly, far as I can tell.  FM is good.

The camera is fantastic particularly at low light. 

Now there are accounts to work on. 

I'm a happy camper.

WMcD

• Like 2

The rest of the story. 

The Zenfone 2 has some odd things.  The headphone jack is right next to the power button and this gets awkward.  The volume rocker is on the back, just under the camera.  Interesting but unorthodox.

I went to the ASUS website for sync software and found they sell the Zenfone 3 Laser for $200.  It has better placed buttons.  So bought that and a 10,000 mA battery backup and a cover on discount.  The cover has some interesting features, e.g. turns the phone on when opened.

Sim card swap went well.

Then back on the CTA this morning to MicroCenter.  They refunded on the Zenfone 2, with minimal fuss.  I purchased a 32 GB microSD for cheap.  Microcenter has great service in this respect.  

There are probably advantages buying a phone from the carrier though it is expensive.

WMcD

The next adventure.  The little thing doesn't have a media player for mp3s I transferred over.  Just something to get to the Google empire. (As far as I can tell, anyway.)

I downloaded VLC for Android and it's wonderful.  

I use VLC on the laptop for movies.  It's a very nice alternative to Windows Media Player.

WMcD