20 years with Khorns, just bought a pair of Heresy 1s, they're awesome

jwgorman

I found a pair of 1978 Heresy speaks locally on Craigslist for a reasonable price so they followed me home. They sound killer! I don't know what to say. The soundstage is smaller than the Khorns, but I experimented with placement and they really image well! They are quite bass shy, relative to Khorns and need a sub, two actually, but I am super impressed with them none-the-less. They have the square magnet woofs and alnico K55 and alnico tweets. I don't think I'm going to monkey with anything for a while as I'm already hearing some subtle stuff that the Khorns seem to gloss over a bit. Also, I don't need to listen as loud to be in a happy audio zone for some odd reason. 

I did notice the type E networks (per the schematic) have 6db/oct slopes and the mid and tweets have reversed polarity!? Seems a bit weird but sounds great. No wonder Klipsch sold a kabillion of these things.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jwgorman said:

They are quite bass shy, relative to Khorns and need a sub, two actually, but I am super impressed with them none-the-less.

I have only been in the 5.1 world for a few years now.  I was a 2-channel snob for years and showed contempt for subs.  Now for critical listening, I think every speaker setup could use a sub!  I may learn late, but at least I can still learn.

Nice pickup on the H1's.  :emotion-21:

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I was a 2-channel snob for years and showed contempt for subs.  Now for critical listening, I think every speaker setup could use a sub! 

2-channel snob, hunh?  EVERY setup could use a sub, really Dave?  For critical listening?  I think as has been probably said a million times, it seems very dependent on the music choice, amps, speakers, source, room config, etc, etc, etc. IMHO, in many instances, a sub can blur and muddy what is intended to be a clear, tight bass line, actually hurting the critical listening experience. But then, that's just me.  And I like to talk in circles....

• Like 1

Congrats on the new Heresy 1's! When adding a sub I personally like to keep the crossover turned down as much as possible and have gain control within reach (remote if possible) as different recordings / sources usually need slight adjustment.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

IMHO, in many instances, a sub can blur and muddy what is intended to be a clear, tight bass line, actually hurting the critical listening experience. But then, that's just me.  And I like to talk in circles....

Problem with you is no one really knows who's opinion you're actually spouting off, I've never seen the chief talk about subs..  :lol:

13 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Problem with you is no one really knows who's opinion you're actually spouting off, I've never seen the chief talk about subs..  :lol:

Sure, whatever you say Troll.  I am aligned with no one, i only respect some, and i think you missed the bus.

38 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Sure, whatever you say Troll.  I am aligned with no one, i only respect some, and i think you missed the bus.

I'm a troll because I called you out on your BS? Sounds like a bus I'd happily watch drive by any day of the week.

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

in many instances, a sub can blur and muddy what is intended to be a clear, tight bass line, actually hurting the critical listening experience. But then, that's just me.  

And I like to talk in circles....

LOL!  It's OK, I'm a sub-snob now.  :emotion-21:

Everybody has to be something, right?  :D

+++

Edit:  Gack!  I just read the last couple of posts!  For the record, Jim was just giving his opinion which is PERFECTLY OK, and he was having a little fun on my account.  ALSO OK.

I'm going back to posting with a smile on my face.  I have too much fun here to do anything else.  B)

Anyhew....as far as the sub is concerned, I agree it would be much more difficult to add a sub to a la scala or a khorn, at least, I think it would be, than to add it to a speaker that already uses a non horn-loaded woofer. I want some deep but not boomy bass if that makes sense. If I'm listening to Duke and Louis and the string bass sounds flubby it would mess up my day. I suspect I might have to engage some digital signal processing to make it sound good. The khorns do string bass very nicely on most of my recordings. If I can tweek a pair of subs to get in that ball park I'll be pretty dang happy. 

BTW, even my wife sat through a bunch of Frank Sinatra/Count Basie with me this evening. She was amazed by the imaging too.

Sorry to just gush over something as common as Heresey 1s, but man, I got them about 20" up off the floor, aimed them so the horns are lined up about 10 feet behind me and SHAZAAM! I'm seriously hearing stuff I never noticed on my khorns (not the bass of course). The tweets seem a bit soft, which, I understand is a trait of the alnico K77s but, they still sound good!

Why didn't any one tell me about this!? :)

I say they are awesome also but you need to put them back on the floor near a corner. Angle them up if need to . This summer I took mine outside on the deck at about 6 am and wow they sounded so GOOOD. Not sure if the neighbors enjoyed them or not don't really care. There is a reason why this speaker saved the company it does what it supposed to do for a good price.

Wow, they look very nice and you say you got them at a good price too. I haven't tried any of the newest sub offerings from Klipsch but the RSW line works incredibly well for music. I've ran a pair of stereo RSW-10's with my old Sunfire CRM-2 speakers and they blended together seamlessly, really sounded like a pair of large tower speakers.

DSCN0462.JPG

15 hours ago, jwgorman said:

I did notice the type E networks (per the schematic) have 6db/oct slopes and the mid and tweets have reversed polarity!? Seems a bit weird but sounds great. No wonder Klipsch sold a kabillion of these things.

A changeover to the Heresy crossover occurred sometime around 1975...with the advent of the "type E" network.

Dope from Hope, Volume 15, no. 1, dtd 1 May 1975:

"We are in the process of making a change in the Heresy loudspeaker system. After considerable listening tests and a large number of response curves, we have concluded that there is a marginal but realizable and audible improvement that we can make by reversing the polarity of the midrange and tweeter relative to the woofer driver. Obviously, the only physical change in the Heresy will be to the crossover network.

We recommend that you make this change as per the diagram on the merchandise you have in stock. All Heresy loudspeakers coming out of the factory after serial number 14N617 will have this change affected in them and will be designated as the Type "E" Network."

• Like 3