Please help me with my RF7's :(

Gnfanatic

hello everyone, new guy here. I am hoping you can help me with my RF-7's that I finally hooked up after 8 years! They sat in a temperature controlled room and there is no dry rot or anything but my God do they sound harsh and to high. The center channel speaker (RC-52II) that is made in China sounds better then them :( I am very new to this and did some research, I have noticed I am not the only one complaining about how harsh they are. I have read up on the crossover mod by a man named Dean Wescott but I cannot find his website or contact info??? The speakers are hooked up to a Denon POA-8300 amp and I use a Marantz SR5011 as a preamp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried messing with the receiver settings but cannot get rid of harshness. Please ignore the wiring mess :( Was trying all sorts of things thinking it was me.

Audio1.jpg

If they were new and sitting for a long time, you might want to run them a while.  They will need to be broken in or re-broken in and played semi hard for a while.

Connections/phase, positioning is key also.  Your right speaker will likely be quite bass deficient.

With that, there are some crossover mods that Deang came up with to tame some harshness.

I wouldn't spend any money on them until I did some troubleshooting first.  Make sure the marantz doesn't have them set to "small" or some kind of room correction enabled.  Try running them in pure-direct mode, or better yet, bypass the marantz temporarily as a test.  they're efficient enough to connect a source directly to the amp.

As previously stated make sure the Phase is correct and the receiver is in Direct mode. Just to be clear on phase, make sure one of the speaker isn't wired backwards, not taking about the phase control on the receiver.

Furthermore one of my RF-7 had one of the woofers disconnected, this had me scratching my head for a while.

HB

Thanka for the replies.  Tonight I will check what you guys mentioned.  Please keep in mind the marantz is not poweribg them, the denon is.  Did I understand one of the replies that the wiring might be wrong from the fac inside the speaker?? 

I do not have a glass table. 

This is listening from Pandora.  I do not have any other music source at the moment. 

Will check marantz settings.  I do know that the speakers are labeled large and center channel is small. 

27 minutes ago, Gnfanatic said:

Thanka for the replies.  Tonight I will check what you guys mentioned.  Please keep in mind the marantz is not poweribg them, the denon is.  Did I understand one of the replies that the wiring might be wrong from the fac inside the speaker?? 

I do not have a glass table. 

This is listening from Pandora.  I do not have any other music source at the moment. 

Will check marantz settings.  I do know that the speakers are labeled large and center channel is small. 

This may be your problem. Pandora has notoriously bad sound, especially if you do not have a paid subscription. What device are you running it off? If it has a poor DAC then it will further make the music sound harsh. When I first got my KG 5.5s I actually could only listen to records until I got a good standalone DAC and the difference was night and day.

5 hours ago, twk123 said:

This may be your problem. Pandora has notoriously bad sound, especially if you do not have a paid subscription.

I didn't know that.  In terms of troubleshooting I would do the easiest thing first, get a good source.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

You said you had DeanG crossovers ...

No he didn't - he said he was looking for contact information because he had heard that I can help with the issue. 

It's a common complaint, and it's been around long before streaming became popular - but sure - crappy source material will exacerbate the issue. 

The center speaker being made in China has no relationship to the problem.  I would let the speakers run for a few days to see if the sound gets better.  Checking the wiring is always a good point.  Cut the high frequencies similar to an X curve.  I use Pandora all the time and it is not necessarily bad.  Play around with speaker setup.

Hello everyone. I did some invesitgation and took pics, so here it goes...

1-) What is a good audio source? I cannot afford high end unless used. I suppose I am looking for a cd player?? Or vinyl?

2-) Direct is on AUTO

Audio/Dialog level adj ON/Level 0DB

Audio/M-DAX , Mode LOW

I do not what in Gods name I am doing with this EQ!!

I did not know about Pandora, I know it was compressed and "like" cd quality.

please look at the pics and I know the wiring needs work.

Thank you again everyone!

audio3.jpg

audio4.jpg

Audio5.jpg

I see a couple of things.

Reset that EQ back to FLAT or 0 db.  The low bass is currently boosted.  That will not help the HF but I would start with Flat.

What is the story with that Denon POA-8300?  It is a triple mono amp and I couldn't find much information on it.

The RF-7 looks like it is bi-wired or bi-amped.  I'd like more detail on how the wiring goes from the Denon POA-8300 to the speaker.

Wvu80. I got the amps from my brother for free and I know they are of good quality. Problem is I dont know much about them either :(  took a more detailed pic for you.

I will reset EQ to 0db

I bi-wired the rf-7's, please look at the amp wiring. Literally I did post to post. BUT reading in back of the amp it looks like I am running at 4 ohms now, not 8 .

SO L goes to left RF7, R goes to Right RF7 and C goes to Center channel

BTW, I have 2 of these amps and first time I have ever owned home audio amps, lol.

audio6.jpg