AL crossovers

CECAA850

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

A good LCR meter is very pricey. It is used to measure the ESR of a capacitor. You could check the capacitance to see if has changed because of age. The reason I say most are still good is because unlike being in a high voltage situation as most caps are subject to, being in a crossover network they are not stressed at all. Pretty much like being on the shelf rather than being used. 

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

18 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I figured it would be easier for me to swap everything with like values as opposed to building him something different from scratch.

Believe it or not, the consensus is to completely replace the AL crossover.  There is very little on the board worth keeping and after you are done you have some newly rebuilt crossovers that is considered the worst sounding XO ever.

There is a recent thread somewhere (last few months) that discusses the AL rebuild and the reasons for not doing that.

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Believe it or not, the consensus is to completely replace the AL crossover.  There is very little on the board worth keeping and after you are done you have some newly rebuilt crossovers that is considered the worst sounding XO ever.

There is a recent thread somewhere (last few months) that discusses the AL rebuild and the reasons for not doing that.

I'll be turning it into an AA.  We'll see how it sounds.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

That will be a solid, safe bet.  I don't think I've ever heard of anybody who does not like the sound of LS's with the Type AA's.

I honestly don't see the downside as it's been pointed out to me.  Less parts to buy and swap as well as sounding better.  AL to AA for me.

Nice job posting all of those photos Dean.  Now, I suppose the bottom line is (without the benefit of your expert explanation), that we can't trust the supposed value of any type of capacitor, and that ESR readings are all over the place, so it's a real crapshoot as to what we install in crossovers.....Yes/No/Maybe/Do you care?

Here are some new 2.0uF caps being tested.  First is Erse.  Second is Dayton 1 percent.  Third is Dayton 5 percent.  Fourth is Sonicap.  The most important reading here is ESR.  The main change we see over time is ESR increasing.  Good to start out very low.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

The post would have made more sense had those caps been labeled as "old", and I just gotta wonder what a variety of "new" caps would measure?  Cryptic posts do nothing but confuse members of this forum, and satisfy no one other than the poster.

Pfff