Your favorite SOUNDING cd

powdermnky007

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by deang:

Since just about everything recorded by Sony sounds mostly horrible, how does that Edgar Winter CD SOUND?

There is a bit more bass on it than I would have expected bu the HF is still a little bright. Frankenstein is still, IMO, well.....dull.

On second thought, I withdraw my nomination for that one.

However, I do remember getting some good results from Stevie Ray Vaughn's- "Couldn't Stand the Weather".

----------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 09-17-2002 at 11:55 AM

HHMMMM...Lets see..good sounding vinyl??

Jeff Beck- Blow by Blow

Massive Attack- Mezzanine

Pink Floyd- 1st UK release ONLY

Big Star- #1 Record

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours - 1st pressing

Early Bowie ( Young Americans, Space Oddity )

Miles Davis -Kind of Blue

Stanley Clarke- 1st solo LP

REM- Murmur

Neil Young- Comes a Time (AWESOME sounding LP)

Hmm....Doesnt ALL vinyl sound good ?? Well NO, But it's better MOST of the time if its recorded pre Mid 80s ( pre DAT / Digital tape )

I'll give you a well-rounded bunch:

Midnight Oil: Diesel and Dust-Opening "Beds are Burning" will alarm the neighborhood

Medieval Babes: The Rose-Weird and wonderful

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: Will the Circle be Unbroken?-Some great music between the chit-chat.

Frederick Fennell: Pomp and Pipes-'nuff said on the list

Michael Murray: Cathedral of St. John the Devine-Quietest gut bass I've ever heard on the Franck Chorale and great survey of 400 years of organ music to help determine if you like the organ or not.

Harry James: The King James Version-First CD I ever heard on K'horns, and earliest I've found that is any good.

Boston Baroque, Martin Perlmann: Monteverdi Vespers of 1610-Massive, rich, huge choral, instrument and hall sound.

If at least ONE of those doesn't turn you on, you are dead. :->

Dave

This thread definetly rocks... i'm going to start getting stuff soon (hopefully) and when i do i'll let you guys know what i think. Come to find out my dad has a decent turntable!! so I'm going to throw a good needle in it and grab up some vinyl... WooHoo!! Although my friends (mostly know nothing about audio) are going to laugh when they find out i'm listening to records on 1500 dollar speakers) haha... so little do they know!

-justin

Everything I suggested was CD. LP's are another story. I listen to 2 LPs for every CD at least, and that has only been true since I got my music server and Card Deluxe going. Before that I only listened to CD's in the car while traveling.

Most of us in 2 channel appear to agree you get a lot more music for your money on LP's, both in software and in hardware. However, remember that turntables, cartridges, and phono preamps require a LOT of knowledge and skill. Pick the brains of the experts here, it will pay.

That said, even a modest TT with a modest cartridges and a run of the mill phono preamp will yield better sound than any stand-alone CD player in my price range.

Dave

There is no one Cd to bring out all the qualities in the K. You have to hear it and make it yourself.

Classical to acid rock, so be it, if it gets you into it, it is your cd.

I've got the "New Radicals" going on the La Scala's.

They are very to say the least "powerful".

How about some Peter Gabriel?

I just think is one of those kind of things you kind of explore yourself and decide?

Don't depend on ears but do listen to reviews of "quality" recordings. I do.

My ears are under attack every day due to my profession but..................Nothing like a good tune!!Smile.gif

Bryan

Send the wife and the kids packing for the night, grab a cold drink, kick the shoes off, and extend the lazyboy and enjoy your horns.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Supertramp...CRIME OF THE CENTURY

Pink Floyd...WISH YOU WERE HERE

Dave Matthews...LIVE IN CHICAGO (great recording)

Eagles...HOTEL CALIFORNIA

Tantric...(different but sounds great)

KRIS

I have a new favorite every month or so.

However. I like to recommend Symphonic Star Trek on Telarc.

One reason is that some newcomers are not going to turn on, immediately, to music they're not familiar with. Yet we've grown up with Star Trek music.

Also, the CD has some neat sound effects. Be careful with the volume on those.

Gil

DocJ, funny you mentioned Peter leaving Genesis...Behind the Music had their story on tonight. As I watched, it made me want to play some Genesis and made me think of this thread. I have most of their older material, but don't remember how well it's recorded. Seems Trick of the Tail sounded good, I'll have to play it tomorrow. I actually liked the Gabriel era as well as the Collins era Genesis, though I do prefer the earlier Collins era...yeah...I'll have to give them a listen again...

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Indeed, Turbo. Help me understand that metal. heh...

Then explain:

Lubricated Goat

The Hellcows

Jesus Lizard

Naked Raygun

Squirrel Bait

Volcano Suns

Big Black

Lazy Cowgirls

The Electric Eels

Phantom Tollbooth

Mission of Burma