Speaker break in

Gandalf007

8 hours ago, Youthman said:

Again, not trying to play devil's advocate here, just curious of your experience.  How does a sub sound different?  What do your ears hear?  Are you able to remember what the sub sounds like a few weeks ago compared to what it sounds like a few weeks later? 

Louder and fuller sounding, you will need to keep adjusting the volume to compensate.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, jason str said:

Louder and fuller sounding, you will need to keep adjusting the volume to compensate.

Very cool.  I don't have a problem whether it's a fact or not.  If speakers sound better 2 weeks of use, that's great.  If that happens and you are able to hear it, it's a bonus. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Youthman said:

Not trying to be cynical but just curious if you have actually heard a difference after break-in yourself?  As stated, I've personally never heard any noticeable difference myself. 

You can definitely hear it on a super stiff sub with dual spiders and thick surrounds.  After 80 hours on an ultimax, some faint harmonics will open up and be more clear.  Woofers on a Klipsch tower though, you'll never be able to tell the difference, although I'm sure there is a measurable change, all woofers change, they just do.  

• Like 1

I've heard a difference with break-in.

On speakers, I guess it's a question of whether the speaker broke in or I was getting used to it - either way, there was a perceptible change.

As far as subwoofers, definitely. When new, I would have the gain on my subs much higher than after they had broken in. Daily I would slowly bring down the volume and still have the same impact.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Youthman said:

Fair enough.  It does sound funny reading your comment though.  :D

Well i had to be honest.

Iv bought far more used/well used than new.

Describing the sound difference? sleeping on it, i will say this, crisp or Crispy/Snappy = New

Older, dated speaker(s) not so much.

It's almost like you need an A/B switch, old on one side new on the other, Flip that switch back and fourth during song play and,

i'll bet you anyone would hear "Change".

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Very cool.  I don't have a problem whether it's a fact or not.  If speakers sound better 2 weeks of use, that's great.  If that happens and you are able to hear it, it's a bonus. 

I would venture to say that most of the speakers you have acquired were broken in long before you purchased them. (Youthman deals of course) :)

• Like 1

There is probably more validity to this than the often used shame of breaking in cables I.e. interconnects, speaker wire etc.

When one pays $150/ft. foot for 10 ft. of speaker cable and isn't put into instant nirvana well then, just give 'em 100 hours of run in time at which point you will be thrilled. Not so much, you finally became acclimated to how they sound and like magic they are now worth the $1500 that was sucked from your wallet. 

Seeing as they are electromechanical devices I imagine they are susceptible to the effects of wear, temperature, humidity... how much of that is measurable or audible I don't know.   I'd say that I haven't had as much experience with new speakers lately as with used.  Presumably, most of mine were already broken in. 

I'd say that I have certainly heard the effects of "warm up" and not just with tube amps or after that first half hour or so of turning the system on.  This will set off some BS detectors but I perceive a change for the better after running the glide tone from this CD:

https://www.ayre.com/acc_cd.htm.  It runs the entire system through a very wide frequency range.  I may or may not be in the room to hear it so I don't think it is "resetting" my ears.  Their possible explanation for why it works sounds flaky but I can tell you that after playing it things sound as "right" as I ever hear from my system.  There is a 5 minute and a shorter glide tone... even the short one seems to have an effect but I'm always in the room for that one.  I don't know why it works.     

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, muel said:

Seeing as they are electromechanical devices I imagine they are susceptible to the effects of wear, temperature, humidity... how much of that is measurable or audible I don't know.   I'd say that I haven't had as much experience with new speakers lately as with used.  Presumably, most of mine were already broken in. 

I'd say that I have certainly heard the effects of "warm up" and not just with tube amps or after that first half hour or so of turning the system on.  This will set off some BS detectors but I perceive a change for the better after running the glide tone from this CD:

https://www.ayre.com/acc_cd.htm.  It runs the entire system through a very wide frequency range.  I may or may not be in the room to hear it so I don't think it is "resetting" my ears.  Their possible explanation for why it works sounds flaky but I can tell you that after playing it things sound as "right" as I ever hear from my system.  There is a 5 minute and a shorter glide tone... even the short one seems to have an effect but I'm always in the room for that one.  I don't know why it works.     

Well, there's $20 bucks I'll never see again. Hope this actually does something or back it goes to Amazon. :P

Mark

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, muel said:

I just spent a few Min of my life there on that web site, that i wont get back.

I do really like reading these Well toned verses ment to grab that part of your brain that say's "Gotta have this".

Snake oil is still rampent these days, but i'll tell, id get that CD just for the tones it states, quality tones are not an easy find.

Here is the "Grabber" The sales pitch, god i love reading these silver lipped devils......

" The main tool is a five minute glide tone, that when played through your system at a moderately low listening volume, will improve its sound. While we don't have conclusive proof of the mechanism involved, we suspect that it functions by demagnetizing residual fields that build up in your components over time. We recommend playing this track on a periodic basis, from perhaps once a week to once a month. We put this track at the end of the disc so that it can be easily played even if the system is unattended. The other tracks have more specialized functions."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, minermark said:

I just spent a few Min of my life there on that web site, that i wont get back.

I do really like reading these Well toned verses ment to grab that part of your brain that say's "Gotta have this".

Snake oil is still rampent these days, but i'll tell, id get that CD just for the tones it states, quality tones are not an easy find.

Here is the "Grabber" The sales pitch, god i love reading these silver lipped devils......

" The main tool is a five minute glide tone, that when played through your system at a moderately low listening volume, will improve its sound. While we don't have conclusive proof of the mechanism involved, we suspect that it functions by demagnetizing residual fields that build up in your components over time. We recommend playing this track on a periodic basis, from perhaps once a week to once a month. We put this track at the end of the disc so that it can be easily played even if the system is unattended. The other tracks have more specialized functions."

Silver lipped devils for sure. It's worth at least showing to my friends and telling them they have to get one too.  :emotion-14:

Mark

• Like 2

Just now, cincymat said:

Silver lipped devils for sure. It's worth at least showing to my friends and telling them they have to get one too.  :emotion-14:

Mark

Thank you

Im NOT alone.

Im NOT bad mouthing these items, because you and i know there are many here who buy every dam thing on the market.

• Like 1