slow internet / STREAMING INTERNET TV

wvu80

15 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

This is via wifi. i get 500/400 when wired via gigabit ethernet. Unifi USG and Unifi AC Pro waps with an HP gigabit switch in the middle.

6696377232.png

I pay $0/mo (but do host a large tower and network gear in exchange).

I could only imagine how fast that is, even if the second reading I took is accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

I also have to power cycle modem every couple of weeks to maintain full speed.

Really?  That seems kind of odd.  How did you discover that?

I now have a post to put in the What I Got Today thread.  Some delicious, nutritious bread! (I'll be back in a few minutes to see if you guys look any faster)

Small 00001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

Really?  That seems kind of odd.  How did you discover that?

I now have a post to put in the What I Got Today thread.  Some delicious, nutritious bread!

Small 00001.jpg

Same bread my wife makes me eat; I'm a Wonderbread guy.

My son writes game code and sometimes would complain about pings and lags. At first power cycles would work and then not. We updated to the current surfboard and got more consistent speeds but with the amount of data in / out (my thoughts) I occasionally see a slow down. When I do I pick a time that most of the family is off line and then power down everything from the modem to the end switch and bring them back up. This drastic action maybe every couple of months>

I Have a few things going on and Linksys netmap doesn't show them all.

Network.JPG

You guys are pretty smart.  Me ... i turned on the amp, grabbed a guitar and couldn’t figure out why i wasn’t getting any sound. fiddled with every knob on the amp and the guitar before i realized that i hadn’t plugged in the guitar.  Yeah, i could hang in your guy’s world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

(I'll be back in a few minutes to see if you guys look any faster)

Yea, let's time the provider on the new provisioning of that modem.....................my guess, 20 minutes after human contact

• Thanks 1

What difference does a new modem make?  A lot.  

These speed tests were taken two hours apart.  The package is supposed to be 200 down, 20 up.  Nice to finally see something exceed specifications.

6696191966.png

6190 Modem.PNG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

congrats Dave.  Now you just have to learn to read that fast :D  No offense intended, just feeling like a punk tonight.

LOL!  I'm expecting you guys to type faster, Steve!  

+++

Philosophy Section:  Even though the old modem the speeds were triple what I was getting yesterday which was already way faster than I need (or can read, as Steve pointed out  :rolleyes:)  But I just couldn't leave that last 50 Mbs on the table if I was paying for it and not getting it.

It's the same with our Klipsch.  I feel like I just have  got to squeeze that last 2% improvement from them or I feel like I'm missing something.  :wacko:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

Gee, I'm happy with 6 megs.  -JJK

It some ways it's like two TVs, one has a 2 ms refresh rate and the other 4 ms.  Yes one is twice as fast as the other, but can you really tell a  2 millisecond difference?  If you are doing web surfing 6 Mb is probably fine.  It's only when you start to stream or have multiple people streaming that you need more capacity and speed.

If you are going to stream I think the minimum number for acceptable performance is 15 Mb (mega BITS, not mega BYTES, small b). 

I am considering dropping my cable TV and going to Sling TV, an all internet service (Orange package $20, Blue Package $25 or both for $40) which has all the usual cable TV channels, and extra $$$ for premium such as HBO.  That would still be much cheaper than my current cable TV service.  I am going to try the one-week free trial and see how it works.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I am considering dropping my cable TV and going to Sling TV

Did this a month ago. OTA, Sling ($40) and Netflix. After the week trial I paid the two months in advance to get a free Roku stick. Locals not available Slung here.

1 minute ago, USNRET said:

Did this a month ago. OTA, Sling ($40) and Netflix. After the week trial I paid the two months in advance to get a free Roku stick. Locals not available Slung here.

Please feel free to elaborate when you get some time. 

I am especially interested in your experience with the Roku stick.  I was wondering how to get the service on a not-smart HDTV.

I have several ROKU boxes from different generations hardwired. I installed the stick with trepidation worried about wireless buffering but I have had zero issues. The stick comes with a wall wart power supply but if your TV has a USB diagnostic port that will power it (I use this). I use the ROKU Ultra in my main system because my pre pro doesn't like you tube audio over HDMI for whatever reason so I use the optical output from the Ultra.

I also have an NVidia Shield TV which does a bang up job for streaming apps and Plex from my 8 TB NAS. The voice search / commands works great. I haven't tried the new Roku voice search feature.

54 minutes ago, USNRET said:

How is the PQ on sling tv?  As soon as the attic cools off, I'm dropping cable and going with OTA tv.  I'll get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX but that'll be about it.  Looking forward to 1080p picture again.