slow internet / STREAMING INTERNET TV

wvu80

It's just a basic short range OTA antenna as stipulated.....maybe a 30 mile range.  To get good OTA antenna signal, the antenna needs to be as high as possible, no obstructions, etc., etc.  That's the way it's always been.  As far as adding things on that you stream, it's all personal choice.  Nothing is going to be perfect and satisfy everyone all of the time.  Internet is not perfect and isn't going to satisfy everyone all of the time.  Just find a happy medium and be happy is all.

• Thanks 1

Watch your wpa2 secure devices.

Wifi hack

Home and corporate Wi-Fi networks — and all the data, photos and messages transmitted across them — could be vulnerable to hackers, according to a computer security researcher in Belgium.

The vulnerability is in WPA2, the main protocol that protects Wi-Fi networks. Hackers can use a technique known as key reinstallation attacks, or Krack for short, to intercept information sent over networks that users thought were encrypted, the researcher says.

“Nobody has ever found this vulnerability,” said Matthew Green, assistant professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins University. “It’s pretty serious.”

• Like 1

12 hours ago, avguytx said:

It's just a basic short range OTA antenna as stipulated.....maybe a 30 mile range.  To get good OTA antenna signal, the antenna needs to be as high as possible, no obstructions, etc., etc.  That's the way it's always been.  As far as adding things on that you stream, it's all personal choice. 

Nothing is going to be perfect and satisfy everyone all of the time.  Internet is not perfect and isn't going to satisfy everyone all of the time.  Just find a happy medium and be happy is all.

I am at a point with my equipment and newly upgraded internet speed I am ready to go onto the "next big thing" whatever that is.  That includes buying a fancy new TV if it will stream the apps I want.  If not, there is Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, and others.  I want to get the right thing at the right price.

It more than hacks me off that my TV/internet provider is offering new customers a $59 mo package for the same thing I am paying $130 for.  Grr.  It sure makes me feel like I am not valued as a customer.

I canceled my Sling one week trial.  I used it quite a bit and I liked it but I don't think it's for me.

+++

I am still having reliability problems with my internet, it sometimes goes out 2-3 times per hour.  I called Suddenlink tech support and they said my values were "out of range" without explaining further.  To that end they will be sending a tech right away to the house to solve my issues.  By "right away" that means in the next 7-10 days.  :angry2:

On 10/17/2017 at 8:04 AM, Schu said:

Watch your wpa2 secure devices.

Wifi hack

Home and corporate Wi-Fi networks — and all the data, photos and messages transmitted across them — could be vulnerable to hackers, according to a computer security researcher in Belgium.

The vulnerability is in WPA2, the main protocol that protects Wi-Fi networks. Hackers can use a technique known as key reinstallation attacks, or Krack for short, to intercept information sent over networks that users thought were encrypted, the researcher says.

“Nobody has ever found this vulnerability,” said Matthew Green, assistant professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins University. “It’s pretty serious.”

This is serious..My firmware fix for this should be available in 2 weeks as of the 16th of this month....

https://forum.peplink.com/t/security-advisory-krack-wpa2-vulnerability-vu-228519/12715

Yes to privacy

https://www.privacytools.io/#

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 9:27 PM, USNRET said:

I also have to power cycle modem every couple of weeks to maintain full speed.

Major Update:  As I said I am getting the full 200/20 but I was having to power cycle the modem 2-3 times per hour sometimes.

The Suddenlink tech Arron came out today and replaced the wiring from the modem to the pole.  He explained the wiring from the pole to the house was completely shot!  Water gets in the line and oxidizes the wiring.  He had me put my ear to some good wire and bend it, it was quiet.  I went outside to the box and did the same thing to the outside wire and you could clearly hear it crack immediately as I bent it.  It was not subtle, it was easy to hear.

That's why I quoted your post Mike because the tech said you should not have to power cycle the modem at all.  If you get a chance go outside to your wire and give it the 'ol bend test and your ears will tell you immediately if you have the bad wire like I did.

I now have fast and reliable, and they are crediting the entire month's internet bill back to my account.  I'm a happy camper.

suddenlink speedtest 10-30-17 after tech call.PNG

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

That is just not true, sorry.  

I accept your apology.  :P

Now that we have that straightened out, would you care to explain how power cycling a working modem which is within values improves performance or reliability?

8 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Now that we have that straightened out, would you care to explain how power cycling a working modem which is within values improves performance or reliability?

When Spectrum came to our house to install our modem they said to leave it on 24/7 and not shut it down with the computer like we used to.  I took it out of the power strip and put it directly into the wall receptacle.

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Dave, please.  I did not say that power cycling a modem that is working within specs would improve it's performance.  Your tech said that you should NEVER have to power cycle (essentially reset).   When it's performance has degraded over time (which it will), is when you should do this.

Rather than me typing everything, I suggest you do a Google search, and learn from some experts such as Consumer Reports, CNET, etc, etc, etc.

Here, I'll even give you the Google search terms......why you should reset your modem

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Your tech said that you should NEVER have to power cycle (essentially reset). 

I will take responsibility for not explaining fully.  A working modem within specs will not benefit from being reset.  There is a reset button (small hole) on the back for just that purpose.  If something is OUT of spec or not working properly, as mine was, then a reset can help the modem regain full strength.

Windows computers do benefit from being restarted from time-to-time.

Resetting my modem got me back on-line but my wiring was so degraded my modem stopped working ten times a day or more.  I got some ligament damage in my thumb from screwing and un-screwing my coax wire ten times a day.

Not restarting any computer for a long period of time (days, months, etc) is just asking for major problems.  How do I know this?  I'm the Network Administrator for the city where I live.  Computers don't get updates installed properly if they aren't rebooted, firmware updates aren't completed if modems aren't rebooted, etc., etc.  My core switches, fiber switches,  etc, in every building across town have to eventually be rebooted.  When I was the NA for a school district, I had a script that forced the computers to shut down every night because people refused to do it.  So, I fixed the problem.  Now, I have people that don't ever want to reboot them because it's a "pain to do" (like 911 dispatch, patrol officers, etc.,) so I have to hold each of their hands during that process.

I power cycle my modem and wireless router every month at home.  Please tell me you do a backup. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I think the tech's advice can be summarized as follows:  If the problem is your wire, resetting the modem will not work.

Could be.  I didn't know how bad my wiring was, but it was bad.

My interpretation summarizing as you did, would be "if your modem is working correctly, resetting it will not help anything."

13 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Not restarting any computer for a long period of time (days, months, etc) is just asking for major problems.  How do I know this?  I'm the Network Administrator for the city where I live.  Computers don't get updates installed properly if they aren't rebooted, firmware updates aren't completed if modems aren't rebooted, etc., etc.  My core switches, fiber switches,  etc, in every building across town have to eventually be rebooted.  When I was the NA for a school district, I had a script that forced the computers to shut down every night because people refused to do it.  So, I fixed the problem.  Now, I have people that don't ever want to reboot them because it's a "pain to do" (like 911 dispatch, patrol officers, etc.,) so I have to hold each of their hands during that process.

I power cycle my modem and wireless router every month at home.  Please tell me you do a backup. 

True.  The funny thing is that we don't want to power-off something because we fear it might not come back on (properly).  The old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  As you say, the opposite is more often true.  For computers, you get memory leaks, etc., and re-booting is supposed to let you start from a clean slate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

True.  The funny thing is that we don't want to power-off something because we fear it might not come back on (properly). 

The exact reason I'm afraid to fall asleep every night.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Thank you.  A voice of reason.