March Madness NCAA basketball 2017-2018

DizRotus

YES!!!  West Virginia #19 knocks off #16 Oklahoma at home 75-73.  That's the Sooner's first home loss this season and puts WVU in 3rd in the Big 12 by .5  behind Kansas and Texas Tech tied for first.

WVU was ranked 2nd two weeks ago then lost 4 of 5 to drop to #19, deservedly so.  They did not play well on offense or defense during that stretch.

I still love watching Trae Young of Oklahoma.  He has the shooting skills of Steph Curry and the natural passing ability of Magic Johnson.  He can shoot NBA 3's all day long.  The freshman is projected to go #7 in the upcoming NBA draft.  He's the national player of the year in my book.

Glad I missed the start of the Butler game and Xavier 25-2 run.. I joined in with 3 minutes to go in the first when Butler was getting back to being behind by just single digits.

Exciting finish of regular time. Both bigs fouled out and then they let it slip away at a bad time of OT.

Hinkle Fieldhouse is a awesome place to watch a game. I highly recommend it if you want some old school feel.

2 hours ago, Davis said:

Glad I missed the start of the Butler game and Xavier 25-2 run.. I joined in with 3 minutes to go in the first when Butler was getting back to being behind by just single digits.

Exciting finish of regular time. Both bigs fouled out and then they let it slip away at a bad time of OT.

Hinkle Fieldhouse is a awesome place to watch a game. I highly recommend it if you want some old school feel.

Yea I get goosebumps every time I walk in there. There are some pretty amazing high school gyms in Indiana also. I believe the top 8 out of 10 largest high school gyms are in Indiana.

There will be a new #1 as St. Johns knocked off 'Nova tonight 79-75.  FYI St. Johns also beat #4 Duke last Sat.

Virginia made their case for the top spot by winning 59-55 at Florida State.

Trivia Question by Homer:  So who gave the new #1 Cavaliers their only loss of the season Dec 5th, 68-61?  :D

1000px-West_Virginia_Mountaineers_logo.s

16 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Wow!

Inside the top 10 typically if you lose you drop 6 places.  A win over a top 10 and you gain three.

The big question is, will Sparty jump Villanova?

I'm guessing Nova drops to 3rd, freezing MSU in fourth.

+++

Edit:  I just saw where Ohio State beat #3 Purdue 64-63.

I've got

1.  Virginia

2. Villanova

3. Michigan State

4. Xavier

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Inside the top 10 typically if you lose you drop 6 places.  A win over a top 10 and you gain three.

The big question is, will Sparty jump Villanova?

I'm guessing Nova drops to 3rd, freezing MSU in fourth.

+++

Edit:  I just saw where Ohio State beat #3 Purdue 64-63.

I've got

1.  Virginia

2. Villanova

3. Michigan State

4. Xavier

The rankings change next Tuesday.  If MSU beats Purdue Saturday, they move to #2.  If Purdue wins, MSU drops from #4.

If MSU beats Purdue, they go to #2, unless Virgina is upset by Hokies, in which case Sparty goes back to #1.  If Virginia beats VaTech, as expected, they stay at #1.  After Saturday, MSU will be either #1,  #2, or #5, or lower.  I see no scenario where Spartans are #3 next Tuesday.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

If MSU beats Purdue, they go to #2, unless Virgina is upset by Hokies, in which case Sparty goes back to #1.  If Virginia beats VaTech, as expected, they stay at #1.  After Saturday, MSU will be either #1,  #2, or #5, or lower.  I see no scenario where Spartans are #3 next Tuesday.

It depends on how far you think Villanova will fall after their loss to unranked St. Johns.  I think their body of work will keep them from the usual 6 spot loss.  If they only fall one spot as I suspect Sparty will have a tough time jumping them.

I think MSU will be hurt by Ohio State beating Purdue as Purdue will certainly fall 6 places.  When MSU beats Purdue they will knock off a team ranked lower which will not allow them to jump anybody.

Just a guess.  Heck, I'm always wrong about these things!  :lol:

41 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I think MSU will be hurt by Ohio State beating Purdue as Purdue will certainly fall 6 places.

I don't follow the rankings weekly or all season actually

But the #3 team with a 19 game winning streak loses by 1 point drops 6 spots seems excessive.

Maybe early in the season, but this time of year. Is that the norm?

I think that loss is the best thing to happen to Purdue.