Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Youthman

R-115S in Frys Stores for $489

Recommended Posts

Whaaaaat...?!

 

I don't need one of these.  But it would sure match up nicely to my newly acquired LCR!

 

My SVS Ultra SB13 seems to work well enough. Certainly does a better job than the RF-7II when I set the x-over at 80hz.  

 

But but, the 115sw is ported (good match for the RF7ii), and and and...gah.  I can't justify it :D

 

Maybe I could put the 115sw in front, move the SB13 to the back.  nah, matching ported with sealed would be more of a task than I'm willing to undertake.  Don't have the equipment or patience.  

 

Tell me not to run to Fry's tomorrow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bkevind said:

Tell me not to run to Fry's tomorrow...

Run to Fry's tomorrow.

 

We believe in you!  B)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bkevind said:

Tell me not to run to Fry's tomorrow...

You can do it! Go go go go go run run run run run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bkevind said:

Whaaaaat...?!

 

I don't need one of these.  But it would sure match up nicely to my newly acquired LCR!

 

My SVS Ultra SB13 seems to work well enough. Certainly does a better job than the RF-7II when I set the x-over at 80hz.  

 

But but, the 115sw is ported (good match for the RF7ii), and and and...gah.  I can't justify it :D

 

Maybe I could put the 115sw in front, move the SB13 to the back.  nah, matching ported with sealed would be more of a task than I'm willing to undertake.  Don't have the equipment or patience.  

 

Tell me not to run to Fry's tomorrow...

 

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Run to Fry's tomorrow.

 

We believe in you!  B)

 

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

You can do it! Go go go go go run run run run run

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking to pass on this sub.  All signs point to it  being a very capable sub, especially for <500.  But I don't think it will play well with my arguably better all around SB13-Ultra.  The 115sw may do some things better but overall will not likely compete.  If I had a place to put an extra sub I'd go for it.  My garage needs are already sated with a capable Outlaw LFM1 I picked up for $80.  The office is small and is quite nicely filled with good musical bass by a SB1000.

 

It makes more sense for me to go towards the light - staying in the sealed category (my preference).  In interest of matching things up, I'm thinking of adding a SB16, or SB13 to my existing SB13.

 

Now I can imagine 4 of the 115sw, especially @ $500 each (can't do that with the Fry's deal) would be a decent way to spend $2k for bass.  Add a bit more for good bass management system to even out the response in the room.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bkevind said:

I'm thinking to pass on this sub.  All signs point to it  being a very capable sub, especially for <500.  But I don't think it will play well with my arguably better all around SB13-Ultra.  The 115sw may do some things better but overall will not likely compete.  If I had a place to put an extra sub I'd go for it.  My garage needs are already sated with a capable Outlaw LFM1 I picked up for $80.  The office is small and is quite nicely filled with good musical bass by a SB1000.

 

It makes more sense for me to go towards the light - staying in the sealed category (my preference).  In interest of matching things up, I'm thinking of adding a SB16, or SB13 to my existing SB13.

 

Now I can imagine 4 of the 115sw, especially @ $500 each (can't do that with the Fry's deal) would be a decent way to spend $2k for bass.  Add a bit more for good bass management system to even out the response in the room.  

a dollar saved is a dollar earned..

for a deal on what you need...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:

a dollar saved is a dollar earned..

for a deal on what you need...

 

True words.  Key for me is lack of need for this particular savings.  So in fact it just becomes a superfluous spend.  Yet I'm willing to spend >1k for a matching sub to what I have (or the improved version) :D  I can explain why but then I'll just further derail this thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bkevind said:

 

True words.  Key for me is lack of need for this particular savings.  So in fact it just becomes a superfluous spend.  Yet I'm willing to spend >1k for a matching sub to what I have (or the improved version) :D  I can explain why but then I'll just further derail this thread.

What I can't wrap my head around is that I've seen Klipsch representatives say this sub performs better than my RSW-15, but so far they are the only ones I've seen make that claim and would like to have an independent opinion from someone who has both---Anyone? 

 

Btw, if I found a NIB RSW-15 for $500 I would grab that deal in a heartbeat! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

What I can't wrap my head around is that I've seen Klipsch representatives say this sub performs better than my RSW-15, but so far they are the only ones I've seen make that claim and would like to have an independent opinion from someone who has both---Anyone? 

I haven't heard that myself.  From my understanding, Klipsch hasn't produced a Reference speaker that actually replaced the RSW-15.  The Palladium sub might best it but I'm not sure as I have not heard one myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Btw, if I found a NIB RSW-15 for $500 I would grab that deal in a heartbeat! 

Totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Youthman said:

 

22 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

What I can't wrap my head around is that I've seen Klipsch representatives say this sub performs better than my RSW-15, but so far they are the only ones I've seen make that claim and would like to have an independent opinion from someone who has both---Anyone? 

I haven't heard that myself.  From my understanding, Klipsch hasn't produced a Reference speaker that actually replaced the RSW-15. 

 

I realize that but what I am reporting was written on this forum by JayL : 

 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2014 at 7:54 PM, Jay L said:

If you really like the RSW-15, I urge you to try the new R-115SW. It will go toe to toe with the elder beast. I would even say it sounds better in a musical sense.

I am biased though as I was completely entrenched in all the new subwoofers released this fall. This coming from a person that owns two "modified" RSW-15s.

To answer the original thread title, I will respond by saying "we are listening to your cries". :)

Fwiw, if you follow the link above it also has some more of his comments as well as your kind offer to take some photos.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rsw-15 gets a few dB louder than the 115, that is it really. The 115 plays deeper by a significant margin below 23Hz. That's not to say it is extremely loud under 20Hz, but it is there.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s great to know that they are comparative.  Didn’t realize that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Youthman said:

That’s great to know that they are comparative.  Didn’t realize that.

Ironically I just realized that the linked thread ends pretty much with you addressing the same comment you did here : :) 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2014 at 1:27 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Having both the RSW-12 and RSW-15 in working order I'm really not in the market for a sub but definitely would be curious if someone owned the RSW-15 and needed a second sub to hear their opinion.

 

I admit I am almost tempted to go to Frys and purchase the R-115s to compare but I don't need another sub....That said, if the R-115s is comparable to the RSW-15 as Jay was stating then for $500 is there a sub in the internet market that can compete? Seriously. I have heard an SVS that was similar but it was over $1,000 and that was several years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

That said, if the R-115s is comparable to the RSW-15 as Jay was stating then for $500 is there a sub in the internet market that can compete? Seriously. I have heard an SVS that was similar but it was over $1,000 and that was several years ago. 

Agreed.  If it is even close to comparing to the RSW-15, at $500 for a NIB with warranty sub, it's a no brainer for someone looking for a 15" sub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Agreed.  If it is even close to comparing to the RSW-15, at $500 for a NIB with warranty sub, it's a no brainer for someone looking for a 15" sub.

As long as you like black or whatever color that thing is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...