Forte II / Awesome wife

bkevind

So I've been on the hunt for a pair of vintage/heritage speakers.  Idea is to put them in the office (small space - 9.5x15.5) where we listen to vinyl and Tidal streams.  We both work from home and spend a lot of time in here.  We already have excellent bookshelf speakers and a small sub to go with - sounds really damn good (SVS Ultra bookshelf and SVS SB1000).  But, I just love the look, feel, smell and sound of vintage stuff in general.  

Because of the size of the space, I figured Heresy's at the largest.  My impatient struggle to find any locally was starting to climax towards giving up and/or spending a lot more on a set of Heresy III.  

Recently a set of Forte II show up for a pretty high price, but I decided to go for it.  I checked the dimensions specs and it seemed reasonable (always does on paper, until you see them in person!).

I bought them, brought them home and snuck them into the office, setup in place of the bookshelf speakers.  Yeah these things are visually big.  Fully expecting my wife to be annoyed.  Nope.  "Hey I love these!  They look great in here.  Matches our desks, looks cool with the record player.  Sounds awesome!"

Yeah I'm a lucky guy.

Conversely.  The guy I bought them from is living the typical speaker enthusiast nightmare with his wife cracking down.  This guy saved for these speakers all through high school, and bought them brand new when he graduated HS in 1990.  Fast forward 27 years, and they have to go(wtf?!).  Makes me kind of sad for him, he was pretty dejected to be selling them.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

??????  Makes you wonder about people at times.

Congrats on the "new" speakers.  Forte's are a great all around speaker with few shortcomings.

Yeah, doesn't it?  My wife and I had a pretty deep philosophical / relationship discussion about that.  It may have been also that he was ready to let go of them.  He had some nice RP-150 or 160m setup, so at least he's got something.  That emotional tie into one of if not the first major purchase he ever saved for and made happen...kind of sad to let go of that after all these years.  But then again I am not one to hold on to objects forever.  Likely will hold on to what I have for many years though.

Thanks for the congrats, I'm very happy with the purchase.

Yeah, when I "snuck" my Jubes into the basement my wife said "wow, those are huge And ugly and sound Really good". 

And when I snuck the LaScalas in next to the Jubes she said "wow, those are smaller And ugly and sound Really good".

Winner, winner chicken dinner ----

• Like 2

Your a lucky man!

I recently had a the almost identical situation. I drove to Denver for a pair of Fortes and fully expected my wife to be annoyed with their size once she saw them in the living room (replacing  a pair of black KG 3.5s).

I was pleasantly surprised when she said wow, those look really good in here, they match all wood in here. 👍

Go Figure right? Lol

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ccdowenye said:

Your a lucky man!

I recently had a the almost identical situation. I drove to Denver for a pair of Fortes and fully expected my wife to be annoyed with their size once she saw them in the living room (replacing  a pair of black KG 3.5s).

I was pleasantly surprised when she said wow, those look really good in here, they match all wood in here. 👍

Go Figure right? Lol

That is fantastic. Similar to my wife's reaction.  A toast to awesome women and wives!

• Like 2

My wife worried that I was driving 5 hours to certain death from a Klipsch speaker peddling serial killer. He wasn't, and several iterations later I've settled on La Scalas. And the not-serial killer even helped me slide a fridge sized sub into the mix a few months before our first child was due.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2017 at 12:20 AM, Thaddeus Smith said:

My wife worried that I was driving 5 hours to certain death from a Klipsch speaker peddling serial killer. He wasn't, and several iterations later I've settled on La Scalas. And the not-serial killer even helped me slide a fridge sized sub into the mix a few months before our first child was due.

He probably got you all jacked up on espresso too.

• Haha 1