Question for electricians - switched light outlets

tigerwoodKhorns

My house was built with switched outlets in each room per code (lower plug in one receptacle).  I do not use them.  This is a developer being cheap. 

Each room has a 3 gang box with switches for the ceiling fan and light and one switch for the outlet.  I like to wire each switch box in the house the same in this order from the door  -->  light -- fan -- fan light.  That is the order of use and keep them all the same. 

I am adding recessed lights to each room and do not want to tear out the 3 gang box and add 4 gang boxes if I do not need to do so.  I know that I can add a 1 gang old work box but I want this to look professional.  I also do not like 4 gang boxes because it gets confusing with too many switches. 

I googled the code and it seems to say that I need either (1) a switched electrical outlet (as I now have) or (2) a switched built in light fixture in the room.  If I can follow #2 I can use the existing wire and install the cans, and replace the plug so that both are hot (I replace every plug anyway because builders use the 89 cent plugs that get loose.  The $3.00 mid grade ones seem to last a very long time and remain tight). 

Is this correct?  Get rid of the switched outlet and add the cans on the existing switch?

I did not find the code, but some sections in a few different forums. The info below seems to say that a "Lighting Outlet" is a built in light and a "receptacle" is a plug (what I call an outlet). 

Habitable rooms — At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet must be installed in every habitable room and bathroom of a dwelling unit. See the definition of "Lighting Outlet" in Art. 100. There are two exceptions to this rule.

Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, a receptacle controlled by a wall switch can be used instead of a lighting outlet.

Exception No. 2: Lighting outlets can be controlled by occupancy sensors equipped with a manual override that permits the sensor to function as a wall switch.

More info:

Lighting outlet Art.100: An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder or luminaire.

Luminaire Art.100: A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply. It may also include parts to protect the light source or the ballast or to distribute the light. A lampholder itself is not a luminaire.

Luminaires, Lamp Holders and Lamps: 410

What about leaving the switched receptacle connected to the wall switch as is, and adding a wire from that wall switch up to your new can lights, if that is easiest?

Or you can disconnect the wire between the switch and the switched wall receptacle, wire nut the ends, convert that wall receptacle to double always hot (replace with receptacle that has not been snipped) and then wire the new ceiling can lights to the existing switch?

3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

My house was built with switched outlets in each room per code (lower plug in one receptacle).  I do not use them.  This is a developer being cheap. 

Each room has a 3 gang box with switches for the ceiling fan and light and one switch for the outlet.  I like to wire each switch box in the house the same in this order from the door  -->  light -- fan -- fan light.  That is the order of use and keep them all the same. 

I am adding recessed lights to each room and do not want to tear out the 3 gang box and add 4 gang boxes if I do not need to do so.  I know that I can add a 1 gang old work box but I want this to look professional.  I also do not like 4 gang boxes because it gets confusing with too many switches. 

I googled the code and it seems to say that I need either (1) a switched electrical outlet (as I now have) or (2) a switched built in light fixture in the room.  If I can follow #2 I can use the existing wire and install the cans, and replace the plug so that both are hot (I replace every plug anyway because builders use the 89 cent plugs that get loose.  The $3.00 mid grade ones seem to last a very long time and remain tight). 

Is this correct?  Get rid of the switched outlet and add the cans on the existing switch?

I did not find the code, but some sections in a few different forums. The info below seems to say that a "Lighting Outlet" is a built in light and a "receptacle" is a plug (what I call an outlet). 

Habitable rooms — At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet must be installed in every habitable room and bathroom of a dwelling unit. See the definition of "Lighting Outlet" in Art. 100. There are two exceptions to this rule.

Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, a receptacle controlled by a wall switch can be used instead of a lighting outlet.

Exception No. 2: Lighting outlets can be controlled by occupancy sensors equipped with a manual override that permits the sensor to function as a wall switch.

More info:

Lighting outlet Art.100: An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder or luminaire.

Luminaire Art.100: A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply. It may also include parts to protect the light source or the ballast or to distribute the light. A lampholder itself is not a luminaire.

Luminaires, Lamp Holders and Lamps: 410

The code that you Googled---is it the National Electric Code or your local city code?

JJK

Take anything I say with a grain of salt (or two)... I'm not an electrician.  My local code allows the homeowner to do their own electrical work so I rewired my entire house (built in 1920's) and it hasn't burned down or killed anyone 25 years since.  Might just be luck though. :)

I think if the code doesn't require lights in every room it will require at least a switched outlet.  There was a time when many homes were built with little or no lights and only a switched outlet so you could plug in a lamp.  There was code for how many connections you can have in a box so you don't want to go over that.

Personally, I'd replace the switched receptacles like Kornukopia mentioned and remove the switched wire.  I'd rather run new wire direct from the switch to the new can lights.  At my parent's I have the fan light and can lights on a single switch and the fan on a 2nd switch.  Speed is controlled by the chain on the fan.   I don't really see the point of separating the lights but that is just personal preference.  Might even consider pulling the fan lights if the can lights would suffice.  Just a few thoughts anyway.

I checked and the code is the NEC.  Section 210.70(a)(1). 

I do not have access to the Code, but here is an article:

https://www.ecmag.com/section/systems/article-210-branch-circuits-required-lighting-outlets-part-ii

Here is a blurb below.  It seems to say a switched outlet (a plug) or a hard wired light fixture is required in each room.  If that is the case, I can abandon the switched plug and add the can lights. 

Lighting outlets in dwelling units must be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (2) and (3). At least one wall-switch-controlled lighting outlet must be installed in every habitable room (and bathroom) of a dwelling [210.70(A)(1)]. This provision requires at least one lighting outlet in every habitable room and at least one wall switch to control it. The dictionary defines habitable as “fit to be lived in.” Habitable rooms include, but are not limited to: kitchens, breakfast areas, dining rooms, family rooms, great rooms, bonus rooms, sitting rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, sunrooms, bedrooms, recreational rooms, etc. Unless meeting one of the two exceptions, at least one lighting outlet controlled by a wall switch is required in every habitable room. (See Figure 1.)

Two exceptions are under the requirement pertaining to habitable rooms. Except for kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch may be installed in lieu of a lighting outlet [210.70(A)(1) Exception No. 1]. If the wall switch controls one or more receptacles, no lighting outlet is required. For example, a wall switch installed in the living room will control the bottom half of each duplex receptacle in that room. Because of the switched receptacles, no lighting outlet is required. (See Figure 4.)

I'm not an electrician either but from talking to electricians and my home designer and builing code officials when I built my home the spirit of the code is safety. Therefore when you enter a room in the dark there needs to be a switch that either a): turns on an overhead ceiling light or b): a switched outlet that presumably you will plug a lamp into. IOW @tigerwoodKhorns your ideas are fine. In my home I make that switch that turns on the light a Lighted switch which to me means "You want light? Push Here"