La Scala packing question

vasubandu

9 minutes ago, Schu said:

There is nothing special about those la scalas

OK, let's check shall we.  This is available 30 miles from my home.

00o0o_7fze9b11r9k_600x450.jpg

Isn't it beautiful?  At first I thought it was fireplace and that the black was soot.  Isn't it wonderful that its blackness makes it impossible to see the workings and structure of the speaker?

And then there is this.

I can see the structure and even into the horns.  The wood is gorgeous, and it looks to be in excellent shape.  After all those years relaxing in Hawaii, I bet it makes beautiful sound. 

An all those others?

$2,000

klipsch la scala speakers EXCELLENT CONDITION!!! WILL SHIP!!!!

$650 (one)

One Klipsch La Scala K-447 Speaker K-77 K-55-V K-33-P K-400 Balancing Network A

$1,200

Klipsch LaScala

$1,700

Klipsch La Scala Speakers

$800

Pair-of-Klipsch-LaScala-Vintage-Stereo-Speakers-2-Unfinished-wood

$2,765

Klipsch La Scala Vintage Loudspeakers System

$1,500

649385515_large_76977352490b6059d66f6b62c2d4da3a.jpg

$1,800

649381051_thumb_6bd96b28c4111cca7f7a769097438de5.jpg

$1,095

11600-large.jpg

$1,200

649374639_thumb_ba3ea3c0c3596e64a20bbf0afa569ad4.jpg

$1,800

649310068_thumb_b05ad0b298749947bbe08c946cf16ac8.jpg

When those came up, I spent a few hours looking a for sale and sold La Scalas, and I did not see anything that looked as nice for less than $2,500. Ordinarily I don't care that much about cosmetics, but in this case I would.  And if it came with a tale to tell, that would be a plus.

9 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Isn't it beautiful?  At first I thought it was fireplace and that the black was soot.  Isn't it wonderful that its blackness makes it impossible to see the workings and structure of the speaker?

First of all, do you have any idea how many on this forum actually own, or have owned, a pair of black La Scala's?  I'm sure you don't.  And, of course you haven't realized that you've basically insulted them, and told them that their choice is ugly.  Truth be told, the pair you have pictured from their relaxation spot in the islands have a really bad stain job.

Secondly, have you even heard a pair of La Scalas?  Likely not.  Or Chorus II, or CF-4, etc, etc, etc......

Put them in a container?  Send them via airline in a crate?  And you are concerned about price?  Sorry, but this is all sounding like a big joke.

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

First of all, do you have any idea how many on this forum actually own, or have owned, a pair of black La Scala's?  I'm sure you don't.  And, of course you haven't realized that you've basically insulted them, and told them that their choice is ugly.  Truth be told, the pair you have pictured from their relaxation spot in the islands have a really bad stain job.

Secondly, have you even heard a pair of La Scalas?  Likely not.  Or Chorus II, or CF-4, etc, etc, etc......

Put them in a container?  Send them via airline in a crate?  And you are concerned about price?  Sorry, but this is all sounding like a big joke

First, I suspect that may people here have black La Scalas and love them.  I be most of them that have black prefer it over the alternatives. If people take my expression of an opinion on a purely subjective matter as an insult, then I give up.  So if someone says they do not like Heresy, is that an insult to those who own them?  And in the same vein is your statement based on a single picture that the Hawaii La Scalas have a really bad stain job not an insult to me?  The answer to that last one is no.  I may overstate things and I may joke around, but I never purposefully insult anyone.  It is not a kind thing to do, and I try to be a kind person. And in that respect, I don't mind that you said I insulted the cult of La Scalas that have no color, but I do mind that you took what I said as an insult.  

No I have never heard La Scalas. I have heard a Chorus I but not a Chorus II, and I have heard a CF-3, but not a CF-4.  Also on my list of never heards is every Forte, every Cornwall and  anything approaching a Klipschorn.  I have so much to learn and experience, and I am trying to shift the balance more towards experience and less towards learn. So when these showed up and a good number of people made positive comments about them,  I did some scheming and came up with a plan.  If I can get them for $1,000 then they would very cheap for La Scalas. They don't have to be perfect or excellent to justify the price, and that is part of the atraction. It would be hard for them to go horribly wrong, and I would get to hear them every day.

As for shipping, watch the YouTube video of Youthman unboxing a Forte III.  These are $1,800 speakers with a 12" woofer and a 15" passive cone radiator.  It admittedly has only a third of volumente of a La Scala, but it has half the weight.  If shipping these is so difficult,  how does Klipsch ship all their speakers without incident all the time.  And it is UPS or FedEx, not some white glove treatment.  Plus their boxes  fit like a glove and have very little protection.  I am just saying that it makes no sense to be afraid of shipping.  So no, this is not a joke at all

I have no idea if I will pull it off, but at a minimum I  will have fun trying.

Sadly the raw brich ones were culled from closed sales.  Sold last September in California.  Would it be a big deal to replace the entire outer structure with different wood?  Seems like it would be just cutting replacements for all the parts.  So, for example, could the outside be replaced with koa?

And look you guys, I really appreciate all of these comments.  In the scheme of things there is no difference between $700 and $1200, or even $1500. It is not going to change my life, but an amazing speaker might. I think my wife finally understands what I mean when I say that I like to do crazy things, but not stupid ones.  The line between the two is not always clear, and when it gets hazy I can be the worst judge.  So most of the time I pretty much do what she tells me to.

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

That is the Spock in you talking.  There is more to life than logic.  Have some passion.

No, it’s just being pragmatic. You can find better looking La Scalas much closer to home.  I don’t know about others but I got mine here but had to drive 8 hours one way.  It was well worth the effort. My Khorns were a 19 hour round trip, renting a minivan and an overnight hotel stay. That’s passion and commitment. Both trips resulted in friends here and they’re worth more than the speakers. 

Btw, the company I work for ships lots products air freight, on pallets. Needs to be via a freight/cargo hauler. Not a passenger flight. 

You will find what you want near you. Be patient. 

• Like 1

That's the concept. But those are rough. If a pair happened to be in decent but mild rough shape, they could have new veneer put on them. But replacing the wood on a pair isnt something easily doable. Find a wood worker there and have him build you a pair and done in the wood you like. Maybe one that has an interest in speakers. ;)

@cincymat You make several good points.  There is a work of difference between driving 8 hours to pick up a pair of La Scalas and having them shipped across the Pacific Ocean.  Maybe I can get my adventure elsewhere.

I learned about the shipping when I called them.  I asked why their website fails to mention it or qualify you when you get an estimate, and she was like "everyone knows that."

12 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@cincymat You make several good points.  There is a work of difference between driving 8 hours to pick up a pair of La Scalas and having them shipped across the Pacific Ocean.  Maybe I can get my adventure elsewhere.

Maybe you can enjoy the system you have while you look for deals that are both priced right and attainable within reason?

I bought my first pair of La Scalas and spent a few weeks working on them so I could listen to them in my garage. There,s a thread about it on here somewhere. It was worth every minute of sanding, patching, and painting them black. 

The chase is part of the fun too. 

• Like 1

@cincymat You know I think I am just going to try to take everyone's advice.  I have a guy coming on Saturday who seems likely to buy the Axiom 7.1 speaker set I got in a deal for $2,000, and then I can get this set of KLF-30, KLF-20 and KLF-C7.  I have a feeling that those will blow away everything that came before. And while they are a 6 hour drive away, they are still in Washington State and I have talked tot he seller for about an hour. He knows what hew is doing, and he was the original purchaser.  Given where I am in the process, that should be more than enough for a while. I will need to find the matching pairs, but I read that my RS-7 will work.  And then if I can pull together a thousand dollars I probably would go for that silly SVS B4 Plus in  San Diego.  The owner has connections and can get it sent up on a pallet cheaply.  Everyone says it is crap, but when it came out around 2002, it was the most powerful consumer subwoofer ever made.  And it is beautiful. That just seems to make more sense.