La Scala packing question

vasubandu

I am in pursuit of a pair of La Scala in Hawaii.  Before you laugh, it is a direct flight for me, and flying them to me would cost $266.  I have been looking for a company that could box them so that the owners do no have to try.  Not at all sure they would do a good job.  The ones I have found so far want to crate them for over $1,000.  I am pretty sure that is not necessary, but what is for a La Scala? Is it any different than other speakers, and what is the norm? I cannot find any guidance online, and when I watched a YouTube video of @Youthman unboxing some Forte III, I was surprised at how little protection they had from the factory, and I was surprised to see @Youthman casually sliding them into his car, swinging them around and then pouring them out of the box.  I might exaggerate but not that much.  He knows what he is doing, which tells me that speakers are less fragile than I thought. 

These would be turned over to the airline, put on the plane, flown to Seattle, processed and then picked up. The box will have all the Fragile and "This side up" signs.  A little help would go a long way.

Don't scrimp on the packaging. Here's a thread about what can happen in Factory boxes:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/168962-speakers-damaged-by-ups/& 

La Scalas are heavy and fragile. 

I'd also remove the K55v mid-range drivers just so they don't break or come loose during shipping. 

Best of Luck..

Well I am dead in the water at the moment.  Hawaiian Airlines won't take my business because I am not a known shipper, which requires a long history of shipping and is a Homeland Security thing.  FedEx wants $1,338, which is not going to happen.  I am talking to shipping people now.  Do we have anyone in Hawaii?  If we do, and they wanted it, I would gladly step aside for the good of the team.

Is there seriously nothing available anywhere on the west coast?  It seems like all these speaker adventures are like jumping through huge hoops of fire just to get something there.  Isn't there anything where you can just fly to a city, rent a car/truck/van, buy something, drive back, unload, turn car in, and be done?  I bought a Mustang Cobra in Seattle years ago and flew in one night then drove back 2,000 miles over 3 days back to Tulsa.  It was rather enjoyable.

Shipping 100 to 150lb each speakers isn't something that's easy and safe in doing for most average people.  When Klipsch dealers typically get  their speakers, they come on a pallet on a big truck thus the reason the boxes don't look too major.  They're meant to get from the dealer to someone's house.  UPS and Fedex aren't big fans of shipping large speakers or boxes of any kind either.  Write Fragile on them and see what happens...

I was a Manufacturers Rep for 9 years for companies like Onkyo/Integra, NAD, PSB, Elan, Sunfire, Mitek/MTX, Rockford Fosgate, etc., etc.  There were order minimums dealers had to hit for getting free shipping to them.  If they didn't hit that minimum, the dealer got charged the freight and then it went to the customer.  Especially on special orders.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Is there seriously nothing available anywhere on the west coast?  It seems like all these speaker adventures are like jumping through huge hoops of fire just to get something there.  Isn't there anything where you can just fly to a city, rent a car/truck/van, buy something, drive back, unload, turn car in, and be done?  I bought a Mustang Cobra in Seattle years ago and flew in one night then drive back 2,000 miles over 3 days back to Tulsa.  It was rather enjoyable.

Many I know have done the same thing and ...........driving it / them home is usually the best part !

54 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I bought a Mustang Cobra in Seattle years ago and flew in one night then drove back 2,000 miles over 3 days back to Tulsa.  It was rather enjoyable.

At the time, that was not easy either. But let me ask you this.  Did that car hold a special place in your heart because of the trouble and improbable journey that you took get it? If I had gotten those South Dakota CF-4s, I never would have been able to look at it without remembering the Indian chief who helped me get it. And if I don't get them, it really doesn't bother me.  Somehow driving down the street and buying a speaker to put in my living room just lacks pizzaz

• Like 1

Not a real special place, no.  It was just a car I wanted and I happened to find it in Seattle.  I had looked all over the US and compared for a couple weeks.  I kept it for a few years and someone offered me about double what I paid for it.  So, it went on its way.  I've had lots of vintage gear through the years that I could remember where I picked them up and the story; some I've kept, most I haven't.  I enjoyed the stuff for a bit that I lusted over when I was a kid/teenager then sold them.  Now, I was forced to sell a lot of stuff after the company I was with went under in the summer of 2009.  I hated selling most all of it but I had bigger priorities.