La Scala packing question

vasubandu

7 hours ago, Schu said:

They'll get damaged...

Unless palletized or crated...

--- ask how Mr. Shu knows this. 

Although bought used I was lucky in that the much larger and 2-piece Jubilees shipped in OE shipping boxes. On skids, FedEx freight.

Proper boxes and/or palletized crates are the only reasonably safe way to ship. But nothing as fool proof as a road trip where you have control of the situation and have right of refusal if not to your expectations.

And Cincys' road trip offered the dubious honor of making my acquaintance ?!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- ask how Mr. Shu knows this. 

Although bought used I was lucky in that the much larger and 2-piece Jubilees shipped in OE shipping boxes. On skids, FedEx freight.

Proper boxes and/or palletized crates are the only reasonably safe way to ship. But nothing as fool proof as a road trip where you have control of the situation and have right of refusal if not to your expectations.

And Cincys' road trip offered the dubious honor of making my acquaintance ?!

And along the way I got to meet MookieSTL. Great road trip. 

13 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I am just saying that it makes no sense to be afraid of shipping.  

Take a few hits and you'll get gun shy really quick. Nothing like finally finding what you want and waiting for it to land on your doorstep only to have it fall to pieces when you open the box. Imagine being a kid on Christmas getting a pair of socks only worse. 

13 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I have heard a Chorus I but not a Chorus II, and I have heard a CF-3, but not a CF-4.  

What were your impressions  of the Chorus 1's? Where did you hear them, were they for sale? 

Also, I know you are new to this auditioning thing and probably don't have your 2 channel station set up yet but I learned a long time ago it is almost impossible to get a good reading of any piece of equipment while in someone else's house / listening room as it could very likely sound much different (good or bad) in your own space. When I pick up equipment listening at the sellers house is limited to making sure everything works and that is pretty much it, actual critiquing of the piece doesn't happen until I'm at home and its plugged into what I know and am familiar with. 

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

What were your impressions  of the Chorus 1's? Where did you hear them, were they for sale? 

I heard them from a guy I met on Facebook Klipsch group.he is in Puyallup 30 miles south. We're not for sale - he loves them. 2 way setup. Massive amp but don't remember name. Older I think.my impression was that the sound was really big. It seemed loud without being too loud. The sound seemed very complete like it was strong high and low. There was something about it that made me wonder if I would like it for hours. Like something grating that  I could not pinpoint. Great speakers but not my first choice. Too rarified for my tastes.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, vasubandu said:

Thanks guys. In your experience, what should I expect for the cost to  crate them.  Not sure that a pallet works on a plane. Will ask.

Don't get in a hurry as you are in a prime area.  No one can package a speaker like the factory. You need heavy, heavy cardboard caps for each corner + high density foam that fills the box extremely tight, top to bottom and left to right.  

Besides, that's does not look like factory finish on the Hawaiians or even well done by someone.

I do like the Raw finish on the other set though.   A little oil and those would be very pretty.

26 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Don't get in a hurry as you are in a prime area.  No one can package a speaker like the factory.

I really agree with this.  There must have been a Klipsch dealer in the area for a long time as there seems to be a steady flow of used Klipsch speakers in the Washington area for a long time.  That means Klipsch is likely to pop up on the used market more often than other areas, unlike my state of West Virginia where there is nothing.

Have a little patience and when the right thing pops up at the right price, be prepared to pounce.

+++

I'd also like to point out you are a good candidate for simply purchasing a new set up speakers from a dealer.  I assume being an attorney you have an adequate income, although I fully understand when you have kids that's where most of your money goes. When you have kids, there's no such thing as "extra" money.  B)

Still, everybody looks for speakers for their own reasons.  I happened to get into Klipsch because I found the CF-4's in rough shape and I enjoyed restoring them.  Others like to flip speakers, some like the sound, some like finding a "deal."  We are all different. and it's all OK.

I only suggest buying new because it seems you would like to get going with some Klipsch speakers and it's been difficult to find just the right ones on the used market.  That's the downside to buying used, you might have to wait to find just the right set.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I only suggest buying new because it seems you would like to get going with some Klipsch speakers and it's been difficult to find just the right ones on the used market.  That's the downside to buying

Thanks. The issue with buying new is I like older speakers. But the klf 30 20 c7  set I am  getting soon should end all this looking for a while.

16 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Thanks. The issue with buying new is I like older speakers. But the klf 30 20 c7  set I am  getting soon should end all this looking for a while.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  A lot of guys like vintage speakers and wouldn't touch the new stuff.

You got me thinking, a lot of guys also like modifying their speakers, a lot like the Harley-Davidson riders do.  There are no two Harley's that look the same.  This is America and one of our characteristics is we like to put our personal touch on things and make it our way.  You can do it with the vintage stuff (some say you have to) in a way you can't do it with the new speakers.

I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this to you but the KLF 30's have a known issue with rattling, a consequence of the factory using a defective glue.  Like it or not I have a feeling you are going to be doing some "hands-on" with those speakers.  They are easy to fix and there are a lot of threads here on how to do that but at some point, your cabs will rattle and that problem will need to be dealt with.

While they are apart, you might want to add a Ti diaphragm to the tweets...and brace the cabs...and add some new high performance woofers...and so forth and so on, down the rabbit hole you go.  B)

18 hours ago, vasubandu said:

my impression was that the sound was really big. It seemed loud without being too loud. The sound seemed very complete like it was strong high and low. There was something about it that made me wonder if I would like it for hours. Like something grating that  I could not pinpoint. Great speakers but not my first choice. Too rarified for my tastes.

I had similar experiences with chorus 1 speakers. At the time, I was a+b comparing them with chorus II speakers. They were similar, but the biggest difference was in the mid-range. I preferred the chorus II tractrix mid-range over the original chorus 1. The chorus 1 mid-range seemed shouty with pinpoint focus at your head, where as the chorus II tractrix mid-range was very open and clear.