Death of the CD

Travis In Austin

I think this article may be another example of how data can be misinterpreted.

more than likely, best buy has evaluated that the floor space can be better utilized making it additive to it's bottom line rather than the mythos that removable media is dead.

I have both albums and CDs...and that is all I play, unless I crank up my old Teac A-2340-R.  Yes, I still have loads of music on reels.  I have absolutely nothing with MP3, etc. on it.  If I play something formatted that way it is from youtube thru my computer.  Analog is still the best format for true hi-fidelity...IMHO!

Well, if I have a retail space I'm going to stock what I can sell the most at the highest margin.  

As far as buying CD's it is fun to go to stores once in a while but for me that is mostly online now.  I am glad to give the local used record sales folks some business even if it costs a few bucks... I want them to stick around!  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, muel said:

Well, if I have a retail space I'm going to stock what I can sell the most at the highest margin.  

As far as buying CD's it is fun to go to stores once in a while but for me that is mostly online now.  I am glad to give the local used record sales folks some business even if it costs a few bucks... I want them to stick around!  

Me too....I visit my local record store Karma Records, they have been in the same location for 50+ years. I have many fond memories of that place, and some I don't remember  :D

• Like 1

I think Amazon is probably contributing to the demise of brick and mortar stores low sales also. I personally never shop at Best Buy. I buy pretty much everything online.
And for those of you who didn't know already: vinyl records died several years ago.

I only resorted to Amazon when selection at Best Buy started dwindling. Their selection of concert DVDs is almost nonexistent. Brick and mortar stores have to offer customers a product or they will go on line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Tony Whitlow said:

I only resorted to Amazon when selection at Best Buy started dwindling. Their selection of concert DVDs is almost nonexistent.

Very true, BB here 1.5 years ago had about 400+ concert DVD's, last time I went in there were maby 15 if that many.

Recently I went to the Antique fair of all places and found the original CDs (by date) for $1 each. Hauled off some favorites. 

Same with DVD's. Wen tot an estate sale. $1 each! Grabbed about 12 of them never opened. Ironically just twenty minutes prior I had purchased Men in Black three CD set at Walmart and promptly returned them when I found these for $3 at the estate sale still sealed. Lol. 

compact disc is a  storage and delivery devise for digital media ....

Having the same digital media information in any other form is = to  a compact disc, as long as it hasn't been compressed or information removed .

You can have exactly the same information on a hard drive as a compact disc .....

There is nothing magical about " ones " & " zeros " in the digital world ... just as there is nothing magical about a 3 cent plastic disc that reflects cool colours when you hang it from your rear view mirror .  Compact disc are nothing less then a super money maker for the retailer

The music industry has went from phonographs drums, to records , to reel to reel ,  to 8 tracks ,  to cassettes  , to cd's ,  to storage devises as small as a fleck of pepper .

As delivery systems evolves ... the industry reaps the rewards of its consumers by making the prior deliver system redundant .