How to pack Heresy & How NOT to . . .

DizRotus

8 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Yeah ... don't think they pass for carry on. Thanks, tho

Doesn't sound like you're gonna have time to visit?  I'm an hour from downtown Tucson

there is this h/k 630 that might fit ... lol

So near, and yet so far.:(

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, Jirachi said:

Those peanuts won't do anything other than be annoying after you open it

The packing nuts work great for shock absorption, using only rigid material does not save internal parts from breaking loose due to the inertia from being dropped especially from height. Some speakers are more prone to this than others. If the speakers arrived without damage I'd say the seller did a fantastic job!

• Like 1

I guess I would have to call that packing "ok" but they don't have squat on me for packing speakers.  ;)  I sold and shipped 3 different pairs of Heresy's plus way larger speakers including JBL L100T, L100S (military version of T) AR11's, HPM-100's, etc.  I just recently sold a pair of Bose 601 Series III's and 301 Series III's of which one set is going to CA and the other pair VA.  Anytime I've ever sold speakers from E b a y, I've always stipulated that I would be charging for packing materials because I'm not shipping something that looks like I went "dumpster diving" for boxes.  I have typically used either the double wall moving boxes from Lowes or  the uHaul boxes.  Both are reasonably priced.  I think the medium double wall moving boxes from Lowes were $2.38 each that I bought Sunday.  Then, I use either 3/4" or 1" thick Polystyrene from Lowes (think garage door insulation, etc) and cut it to where I have good padding all the way around.  With Heresy's, HPM-100's and AR11's ,etc., that weigh in at 50lbs+ each, I get about 3" all the way around them plus the 3/4" bubble size bubble wrap for a layer or two around before they go into the box.  Never have had an e b a y claim nor many that have griped about the extra cost.

Most of the time it takes two boxes put together to make what I call a "Franken-box".  :)  It's not like the stores just sell the exact boxes we need.  ha.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:56 PM, Jirachi said:

. . . Those peanuts won't do anything other than be annoying after you open it

Truer words were never spoken.  After "winning" a pair of H2s on eBay, I contacted the seller to ask if dish packs would be used.  He replied, "Usually I use light bubble wrap around speakers then foam and packing peanuts. I haven't had a problem in the past using this method."  This mess was left on my porch by UPS.

Fortunately, the only damage was loosened screws to one squawker horn.  This is an example of how NOT to ship speakers.  It took more than an hour to corral the flying peanuts so they can be recycled and stay out of a landfill.

peanuts 3.jpg

peanuts 6.jpg

peanuts 7.jpg

Fortunately, regardless of how well, or how poorly, they were packed, the HIPs, KP-201s & H2s received over the last month survived their respective journeys.  Only the H2s need some work to address minor shipping damage.  The best part is that all drivers work.

FWIW, the H2s above will probably be available soon, as I expect my son to choose the HIPs over these.  The H2s are HBRs that have been rather poorly stained.  The enclosures are in good shape; they could be restained or veneered.  The grilles are OK, but only one has a badge.  If I keep them, they'll get the faux-pro treatment shown below. If you are interested, send a PM.  Eventually, I'll post the odd pair out in ALERTS.

faux-pro.jpeg.4f6cb206f1ce212e6c36594672045c14.jpeg

19 hours ago, DizRotus said:

It took more than an hour to corral the flying peanuts so they can be recycled and stay out of a landfill.

Time wasted, as my son informs me the recycling center accepts sheets of styrofoam,  but rejects packing peanuts.  There’s another reason to avoid them.

7 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Time wasted, as my son informs me the recycling center accepts sheets of styrofoam,  but rejects packing peanuts.  There’s another reason to avoid them.

A lot of them now are made out of soy bean and disolve in water.

• Moderators
On 2/24/2018 at 1:47 PM, DizRotus said:

Notice the Styrofoam corner protectors. 

It seems to "almost" always ship without problems if there is good corner foam and top and bottom foam that dosn't move, it seems this is the most important parts.

We shipped some glasses the other day and luckily none were broken but there was a 6" hole punched completely out of the side of the box, we were lucky. Once Tigerman got a box with 4 wine glasses, there was not a solid piece of glass intact bigger then 3/4" from 4 glasses but the box looked OK.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 7:33 AM, CECAA850 said:

A lot of them now are made out of soy bean and disolve in water.

That could work if they weren’t mixed with Styrofoam peanuts.  There seemed to be at least six different types in this dog’s breakfast.

• 5 weeks later...

The poorly stained H2s that came in that single box leaking peanuts needed attention.  One had an ominous internal rattle, the other had an obviously loose squawker horn.

The internal rattle was an inductor that had broken free of the terminal cup to which it was attached.   A little hot glue took care of that.

Apparently, the weight of the squawker driver put leverage on the horn and stripped some screw holes.  Close inspection made most of the holes suspect.  Three toothpicks dipped in Tite-Bond were allowed to cure before being cut flush.  

After exploring the insides of many Klipsch Heritage speakers, I would always open up any recently received used speaker to confirm structural integrity.  If nothing else, I would put eight screws in the woofer.

E7A65FC7-2D0E-4219-BBFF-4EB55D2310BD.jpeg

098116DD-3B08-4871-8795-E489AA87EB15.jpeg

While dissecting vintage Heresys, I opened the HIP I recently acquired.  Note how the grill cloths are attached. Also note the Type AA network.  As mentioned elsewhere, I plan to convert these to Claude’s “Super Heresys” @ClaudeJ1.  I’ll port these through the backs with a Parts Express plastic port.  Dense foam plugs will be fabricated to plug the front slot port, the round rear port or both to experiment.

B9E922E6-DAFC-4F8D-B44E-4B5B6941D79F.jpeg

F9439BA0-C5E5-4161-BEE1-73A9A10A64A5.jpeg