Help pricing Jubilee cabinets?

PrestonTom

Guys I need some help on how to price some "Jubilee-Style" cabinets. 

1) The tweeter horns are authentic K-402 horns with the stands

2) the drivers have been upgraded from K-69s to JBL 2446 drivers (retail at about $700-800 each)

3) Bass bins use authentic K-31 woofers

4) Bass bins are DIY, but considerable care was given to replicate the geometry of the factory versions and they are well-braced. The frequency response and impedance measures match the factory measures.

5) Bass bins are built as "half-height" versions and meant to be stacked to replicate the factory version (see photo).

They can be stacked as tweeter on top of two woofer cabinets (TWW) or as woofer cabinet on top tweeter cabinet on top of woofer cabinet (WTW). This later configuration evens out the bass response if you have ceilings 8 ft or less. The tweeter cabinet is not shown in the photo.

6) Cabinets have cosmetics (grille cloth, base and finished side panels (see photo). The grille cloth would be easy to change out. The cosmetics may not be to everyone's liking.

As you can see these are changes can be viewed either as "upgrades" or as "changes". Consequently, I really have no idea on how to fairly price these. On top of that, Jubilees are just plain big and not easy to transport (these are in Connecticut)

It is a turn key system and sounds wonderful.They are currently set up, but I will be moving in a few months and the new living room will be smaller and needs to be multi-use. I need speakers about the size of Klipsch Palladiums.

At first, I thought start with current MSRP and price then price at 50% off. The factor  in the DIY aspect (could add or subtract depending on your perspective). Then factor in the upgraded JBL drivers (should add something). Then factor in the cosmetics ( adds a moderate amount or a small amount). 

At this point I am guessing $5,000, however if the deal was quick and easy, then I would consider $4,500. Is this the right ball park or are my brain cells failing me?

You see my confusion ....what is your collective wisdom?

Thanks,

-Tom

post-15497-0-60100000-1449176695.jpg

RawStack.JPG

post-15497-0-85940000-1449171483_thumb.jpg

Edited by PrestonTom
  • Like 1

Tom,

Just my 2 cents, only cause you asked. 

I have came across DIY Jubilee like bass bins built very similar to yours only full stacks. These had nice wood grain veneers, with the option of Crites drivers.  I seen these sold for around $1700.00.  I recently purchased my K402s with stands/K1133 drivers, K510/B&C combo for $1250.00 shipped to my door for a set off of the used market.  I honestly couldn't say that the JBL drivers would be considered and upgrade, that would be up to the end user to decide.  My experience, the B&Cs are hard to beat for that price ( I do note that yours did had the K69 and not the K691).  Now depending on age of the K402s, K31s, you might be able to get a bit more of them.  These are not tracked prices, just what I have seen in the last year or two on the second hand market.

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

At this point I am guessing $5,000, however if the deal was quick and easy, then I would consider $4,500. Is this the right ball park or are my brain cells failing me?  You see my confusion ....what is your collective wisdom?

The K-402/JBL 2446 combinations (secondhand) are still probably worth $2200 with the JBL drivers.  However, the market for these at full price seems saturated presently.  I'd bet that you could price them at $1500 for the pair and move them fairly rapidly, especially if you advertise that the K-402s are the second generation 25# weight ABS versions, which should be priced a little higher since they aren't being made nowadays. 

The K-31s also are not available, IIRC.  But a recent auction on ebay at $80 produced no buyers.  I'd price the 4 K-31s at $200 collectively. 

The bass bins, while you and I know that the split bins are actually superior to the full-height bass bins for home use (lower K-402 axis height and the effective MTM configuration is better in terms of polars), the problem is that the marketplace is looking for Jubilee-like bass bins.  I'd place the price of the split bins at $1500 without veneer, etc. Add the screens and the price might make it to $1800.

So the roll-up is more like $4K optimistically.  If you want to move them soon, then $3500 would probably be a "move 'em out" price - about half again more than a good pair of used Khorns in good-to-excellent shape.  If you throw in a Dx38 (if you have one), you could add $300-$400 for a "turn-key" setup...just add two stereo amplifiers and a good preamp.

YMMV.

Chris

Chris, you make good points.

To really make this a turn key system, I can toss in a Behringer DCX2496  DSP crossover. While it is not a great crossover, it is good enough to get someone started. It can be easily  upgraded at a later time. 

Thanks

-Tom

Say it ain't so Joe

I don't know you personally only from here on the forum but I hope you are not being forced to sell your dream system for the wrong reasons. Hopefully only to obtain a dreamier(if that's possible) new system. Best wishes.

As to worth I could only speculate.

No, it is nothing dramatic. We are moving for various reasons, primarily school district for the kids. Although it is nice having a large dedicated room for a stereo, it is not in the cards for the next house. I think a pair of Palladiums, would be a great back up plan.

-Tom

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Tom,

Just my 2 cents, only cause you asked. 

I have came across DIY Jubilee like bass bins built very similar to yours only full stacks. These had nice wood grain veneers, with the option of Crites drivers.  I seen these sold for around $1700.00.  I recently purchased my K402s with stands/K1133 drivers, K510/B&C combo for $1250.00 shipped to my door.  I honestly couldn't say that the JBL drivers would be considered and upgrade, that would be up to the end user to decide.  My experience, the B&Cs are hard to beat for that price ( I do note that yours did had the K69 and not the K691).  Now depending on age of the K402s, K31s, you might be able to get a bit more of them.  These are not tracked prices, just what I have seen in the last year or two on the second hand market.

Wow.........now there's a deal.  I guess prices have really gone down!!!!

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

It sounds like you got a killer deal on the K-402's. When I got mine they were $2,200 a pair

Yes, but you may be talking new, I am talking used.  Sorry if I did not say that.  I will update my first post to reflect that, as I do not want to give anyone the wrong impression.

Does anyone have accurate info on what a new two-way Jubilee currently costs? Not what it cost several years ago.

A couple of years ago it was about $7,200 delivered to your door. However, last year I read the prices were going to jump higher, much higher.

Just curious

-Tom

25 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Does anyone have accurate info on what a new two-way Jubilee currently costs? Not what it cost several years ago.

A couple of years ago it was about $7,200 delivered to your door. However, last year I read the prices were going to jump higher, much higher.

Just curious

-Tom

PM sent. Well I will send.

On 3/1/2018 at 6:18 PM, boricua2480 said:

If you decide to part them out, I’d be interested in the 402’s without drivers, or with drivers depending on price. 

Actually, I am in no hurry. I was really only trying to figure out a fair price.

If I don't sell them for a realistic price, I have a project in mind. Two hints: 1) Chris and 2) MEH.

• Like 1

Well, I have a bit more info now regarding the current pricing of two-way Jubilees (no crossover, no veneer and using the big K-402 tweeter horn ..... the typical configuration).

These are apparently the prices from a couple of the vendors most folks are using ( I am not going to get into specifics).

The "average price" is just shy of $7k. One sells for a few hundred less and the other sell for a few hundred more.

I did some homework and there have not been many used ones for sale. Of course this varies depending on region and time (12 months ago or 6 months ago). The issues of location and urgency to sell are big variables.

My information that there was a "huge" price increase in the works appears to be just a rumor.

• Like 1

"If a pair of speakers this good looking and sounding were exhibited at an audio expo such as CES, they would probably have a $10,000 price tag on them."

That is my feeling also. They really do sound terrific. That is why I would want them to go to a good home.

Time for a shameless bump!

Chris's analysis / suggestion is starting to make a good deal of sense. For $ 3,500 - 4,000 someone would be getting a heck of a deal. 

I will miss them, that is for sure. l need to think about this and give it some more time to sink in.

Edited by PrestonTom
thoughts