Memories -- Friend or Foe?

BigStewMan

30 minutes ago, Montego said:

I've felt this way for the last several years.  I can't let go of the past.  I built a chopper like the one I had in the 70's.  I've have a house full of old stereo components.  Sometimes all of this makes me happy and sometimes sad.

I know how you feel.  Sorry I don't have any helpful wisdom.  Thanks for posting ⏳

You have to do things that you have to continuously create which fill in the dead time like painting, sculpture, yard work, gardening, remodeling, bullcrapping at the local bullcrapping place, photography, video editing, and last but not least---spend money online.

JJK

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

thanks guys --  Happy Good Friday.

For myself, I knew you weren't down like that. Just the sharing you've done here is the same as some of my perceptions..... And I might be a ..........

But we're all kinda similar when/if we care about others.

Having ham Easter Sunday, want lamb but I'll be alright with that (there will be great potato salad). 

Because I love the person that wants the ham instead!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Thank you and I hope what I said wasn't to painful.

It wasn't painful at all....  I always let her suck the chocolate off before she got to the nut inside and I placed those in the candy dish...  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Thanks.....my Dad is still here, but was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 3 years ago. He's 88, still in great shape physically, just gets confused. He still lives in their house, but we have a live in nurse 24/7. The sad part about all of this is I have a 66 year old brother that was recently diagnosed with it.

For myself, I would go on welfare to take care of my mom if she had it, before even thinking about putting her in a home, but to address those of us that might not have a choice, and also the stew mans last post. They are really helping seniors depression in a big way at some nursing homes as they are bringing in preschoolers to interact with them. Little kids have a lot more in common with the elderly than one might think and offer that vision of wonderment at first happenings and acceptance without judgement. Something to look for in a home for a loved one, and as previously stated, music therapy can also be wonderful for them. Songs back from their early days that they can still remember fondly.

Rog

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

He's really a butt;)

I think the worst thing for my mother as Alzheimer's was progressing was in the moments of lucidity.  She'd realize what was actually happening and know that there was nothing she could do to stop it as she saw it ravage her mother as well and knew what was coming.  She never would admit it but we could tell the times she was "with us" what was going through her mind.

Hey now Carl, I resemble that remark of yours!  :D

30 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

some nursing homes as they are bringing in preschoolers to interact with them

My son sent last summer as volunteer at a local hospital, two periods a day during the first half of this school year (H.S. junior) at the same hospital and the next half year will be two periods a day at a nursing home. He is enrolled in a medical course at H.S. which makes him a nurse's aid at completion. His goal is to become a pediatric surgeon. He is applying for jobs as pharmacy clerk for after school and weekends at local stores.

He wants UT @ Austin so any Longhorn alum that has pull...............

• Like 1

6 hours ago, USNRET said:

My son sent last summer as volunteer at a local hospital, two periods a day during the first half of this school year (H.S. junior) at the same hospital and the next half year will be two periods a day at a nursing home. He is enrolled in a medical course at H.S. which makes him a nurse's aid at completion. His goal is to become a pediatric surgeon. He is applying for jobs as pharmacy clerk for after school and weekends at local stores.

He wants UT @ Austin so any Longhorn alum that has pull...............

My daughter graduates HS this year and she also wants to be a pediatric surgeon. She is already enrolled in a forensics program next year.

Rog