WTB HIP Badges

Mighty Favog

• 4 weeks later...

I need a pair of these as well.  I am having mine refinished and the Klipsch is painted on.  I was going to cover them with blue tape and sand and paint around them but I would really like to refinish the whole speaker and badges would allow me to do that.  Checked eBay but nothing that matches and most are in Russia.  Shame Klipsch does not offer them to customers anymore.

Got em' refinished in the Duratext. PE had all the stuff I needed on the shelf for me to walk the 8-feet over to the checkout. Pretty easy stuff to work with. It was a fairly warm day here and the air was dry. I put them in a shed in the back yard, finished them and let sit. The instructions said something about letting them dry then cure for a week. Mine only too 24-HOURS and they were done! Then I got some Rustolium in satin black and painted the metal grills.

Put back together with some new feet about an hour later and thumpin' soon after!

IMG_20180512_162017.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Thanks to jimjimbo the new gaskets are in! Sounds better too (duck)!! 😄

Got em' back together and stapled in some aluminum screening on the backside of the port to keep any would be mice out from eating the wires.

IMG_20180530_180103.jpg

Now you’ve gone and strained the bass. 😊

33 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Not sure that was a good idea.....

You can improve them further by installing a "B" network, and lining the interior with eggcrate foam.  Will then be "Super Heresy" HIP's. 

@ClaudeJ1

Yes, much better sound and balance at that way instead of screaming midrange and treble.

3 hours ago, LalaWoots said:

Would installing a “B” network lower the SPL rating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPL ratings are based on an "average" range of frequencies. In a "Super Heresy" made from an H1, you are upgrading to a heavier magnet woofer with 3 db greater efficiency so it raises it from a nominal 96 to around 99 db/Watt. On a HIP, since you already have the Super Heresy drivers and a similar port, increasing the bass by lowering the midrange and tweeter essentially, from a AA network, you are directing more power to the woofer section and absorbing the excess resonating rear radiated midrange with the foam. So it's an efficiency/bandwidth trade-off. The maximum output should be the same in both cases but it will require a higher voltage drive to achieve it since the woofer power rating is the key element. Basically it won't "scream" quite as loud but it will have way more low bass, so it's that different average range of frequencies again, so having different networks makes it an apples and oranges comparison. Enjoy your fruits.