Has anyone used sound baffles...

Schu

On 8/28/2018 at 4:52 AM, Schu said:

I think they are also referred to as sound clouds also.

@Schu,

I get the impression that true sound clouds are to reduce reverberation time, because the ceiling is too high, and the bounce back is is both too delayed and too loud, interfering with clarity.  By putting in absorbent clouds of various heights you lower the SPL of the reverb (increasing clarity), while increasing complexity and richness, subtle though it is.   I tend to doubt that your 15 foot ceiling is far enough away to cause any of these problems, though.  If the sound is merely too bright or "hard," conventional absorption and diffussion might do as well (or better?).  They look cool, though.

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/clouds-and-baffles/

image.thumb.png.742aeb8dd69a204cfb0ecbee2f5a6b7e.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would seem that it can be a matter of scale... a smaller room would use smaller clouds.

I was doing some  critical listening last night at some decent spl around 90bd, and it sound like there is quite a bit of reflections going on in the higher frequencies.

I order some disbursement plane's, but I think I need some absorption even though absorption is mainly about lower frequency.

Some years ago, I was at a restaurant that had a high unfinished ceiling, polished concrete floors, mostly bare walls and of course the hard surfaces of tables. There was so much sound bouncing around within it, that you could barely hear the person across from you. If the food was not as good as it was, I would have left and never returned.   I called over the manager and mentioned that fact and that there are things one can do to diminish all of that sound energy bouncing in the space.   He of course knew of the problem.   As I only remembered one site, I mentioned RealTraps.com, for something to read up on.  The next time I visited, he installed the hanging panels similar to the ones in the first pic. They tamed the room to great effect and it became a comfortable place instead.   I was very impressed with the difference.

I am just wondering how to quantify the usage. They only space I have is high on the back wall, but as I listen I think I hear reflection coming from that area... but the spl needs to be close to 90db to really hear that nuance.

It may be that I don't listen loud enough for these to work.

This will be a weeekend project...

I am going to use to four panels to make two rows of three (roughly 50x96) across the back wall to disburse HF reflections.

I am still collating my thoughts on making absorption clouds... but I want to perfect hanging panels for my space. Artistic but effective.

• Like 1

Yes... like egg carton paper. Slightly more integrity but not really thicker. There are many patterns to choose from. There is another one I want to try, but I liked these more organic pattern and wanted to give it first shot.

51AR3AKwEsL._SX679_.jpg

61Ff2gOJn7L._SX679_.jpg

I say each panel is lite enough to hang with four small pin nails, but the permanent solution is supposed to be adhesive.

41+FtImqrKL.jpg

51TsDT12IIL.jpg

15 hours ago, Schu said:

Yes... like egg carton paper. Slightly more integrity but not really thicker. There are many patterns to choose from. There is another one I want to try, but I liked these more organic pattern and wanted to give it first shot.

51AR3AKwEsL._SX679_.jpg

61Ff2gOJn7L._SX679_.jpg

I say each panel is lite enough to hang with four small pin nails, but the permanent solution is supposed to be adhesive.

41+FtImqrKL.jpg

51TsDT12IIL.jpg

Where did you purchase those?

Oh... LOL, my bad.

Amazon...

There are many different patterns and sizes, though each design usually has its own panel size for step and repeat patterning.

I am really happy with the quality of the item and initial listening results are positive on the pattern I got... and the color closely matches my wall coloration.

I haven't hung the units BEHIND my main LP but I put them on the front wall temporarily and did several back to back listening s and I prefer them in position as opposed to a blank flat wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

What in the world is that behind the panels?  A giant box of Cracker Jack?  The surprise in that thing might be really worth something.

Oh... the BOX is worth something. I had a pair for years, but I finally sold one... for over $500

40733628465_a6f836c02c_k.jpg

• Like 2

I added three panels to the back wall where you would think improvement would be most important... I don't get that warm and fuzzy like I did when I first added the panels to only the front wall. 

I think it may have taken away some of the liveliness that was magical after the front wall was done. I am going to live with it for the time being as see if I don't adapt.

The front wall alone really seemed to clean up the influences of the reflections and got rid of a good portion of the smearing I think I was hearing before.