Has anyone used sound baffles...

Schu

No, to hanging absorbing material from the ceiling, but have considered it, since I have a 16' vaulted den,

The only time I did put object's in the ceiling, was in 1975, and I found a case of lightbulbs in the garage, (the figure of 100 come's to mind) and meticulously punched them into the acoustic panels in our cabana, unwired, but quite spongy and accepting... I had a 15" 1960 University back then, in a homemade cabinet.... never figured out why I did that....

1 hour ago, windashine said:

No, to hanging absorbing material from the ceiling, but have considered it, since I have a 16' vaulted den,

The only time I did put object's in the ceiling, was in 1975, and I found a case of lightbulbs in the garage, (the figure of 100 come's to mind) and meticulously punched them into the acoustic panels in our cabana, unwired, but quite spongy and accepting... I had a 15" 1960 University back then, in a homemade cabinet.... never figured out why I did that....

... a combination of absorption and diffusion?

A University 6303?  It was a contender back in 1959.   A schoolmate's family had a 6201, which was good, but only 12"  ... I eventually went with a 15" JBL D130 "extended range" crossing over to a 075 "orange juice squeezer" tweeter.   A homemade cabinet?  Was there any other kind?   It was quite a step up to Khorns, decades later.

@Schu, I wonder how these baffles compare to plain absorbers attached to the ceiling.  I wonder if anyone has compared them.

Experimented with just a touch of diffusion on the ceiling.

It helped but have to mention that it was very reflective room, one glass wall, other parallel one empty concrete.

A combination of absorption at the first reflection points, but only diffusion on the ceiling.  It is worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parlophone1 said:

Experimented with just a touch of diffusion on the ceiling.

It helped but have to mention that it was very reflective room, one glass wall, other parallel one empty concrete.

A combination of absorption at the first reflection points, but only diffusion on the ceiling.  It is worth a try.

Or, if the room is not too overly live to begin with, just diffusion at the first reflection points, and over maybe 50% of the ceiling.  I've seen lots of photos of studios and control rooms with lots of diffusion behind the listeners (back wall) and all over the ceiling.

image.png.81d7ada8160a71d7b004c0d8311022ab.png

image.png.14b230fed8002d9dd4ac124eb10ec800.png

image.png.a1edd0a8d294699fbe5457a02a0a3ad4.png

I've got absorption on the ceiling in front of the listing position and diffusion above listen position but not hanging like that. The 3rd pic looks like pool noodles....closed cell foam. All of the absorbtion in my room is a spungy open cell foam.

The first picture looks like hanging acoustic tiles with the fabric stretch over them.

Hello, Thank you for an interesting topic to ponder upon,

The first experience I had with an audible discovery, was standing under the middle of the Texas State Capital buildings' huge rotunda.... on the floor tiles marking the center.... 

In respect to sound, this pdf article link was offered as free, with a page link near the bottom to other products, room size, reflections, acoustic treatments and so on...

https://www.soundcontrolroom.com/News_Saturn_Polycylindrical_Diffusor.pdf

The pricing on most all of these pre made panels is ridiculously high... I am thinking more about dyi...
I went into an Italian beef/sausage joint about a year ago. The place was really big. The ceiling was exposed ductwork etc. They had a stage with pro gear....mixers etc. If I remember correctly it was for karaoke in addition to bands and background music.

I glanced at the gear and speakers all around the place while it was playing background music because man it sounded really good. Much better than would have expected from that type of gear/equipment.

Then I happened to notice the ceiling looked like Shu's first pic. They looked like 2x4 panels of rockwool(?). No fabric covering them....just naked and exposed but dark almost black in color so it worked pretty well. There was a LOT of them....I mean a LOT......and it sounded really good in there. No echo with a lively sound that was really nice to listen to.

I might stop back in there today and take some pics but the food kinda sucked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I have a vaulted ceiling so there are TWO first reflection points on the ceiling at different distances from my seat.  I chose to place 2x4 absorption panels in those spots which was a definite improvement but I wish I'd tried diffusion.   Could try a combination.    They also have decent prices here: https://www.acoustimac.com/ and they have supplies for DIY as well.  

I vote for the Massenburg, diy, of course. :wacko2:  It'll go better with :emotion-22: or even 🍄.

On a more practical level, way back in the antedilluvian,  PWK recommended DIY Bonner polycylinders, which helped keep one of his rooms from being "hooty."  http://assets.klipsch.com/files/Dope_810601_v20n1.pdf?_ga=2.151245241.1079510187.1535095612-797547607.1525991139  Some people (who, by coincidence, market expensive diffusers) have said that polycylinders are not really "diffusers."   Somewhere on this forum Artto discusses this in a most informative way.

If wood diffusers are used, should they be hardwood?  Polished and hard surfaced?   I'd think so, to increase the efficiency of the diffusion.

See Chris A's thread on corner horn imaging and the placement of absorption, even though your La Scalas aren't really corner horns, if they are near the corner, I think Chris's recommendations would apply.

My wife built us some modest diffusers of the kind former forum member mas apparently liked. image.png.10e967d0538105517288a9845aceb215.png  If I had it to do it again, I'd be inclined to mix in some deeper diffusers.  We deliberately used a minimum of absorbption, but, if anything, the room is a bit too dead.

In both the Avery Fischer Hall and the Davies Hall, they had vast acoustical problems, and almost cured them with acoustical clouds.

In the Walt Disney Hall, when fine tuning it, they used lasers to simulate paths of sound.

image.png.6daf82f15f786a515a466270408316f3.png

• Like 1