Strong Rhetoric on China

Jeff Matthews

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Please ignore him.  Let's keep this thread alive and continue the perfectly appropriate discussion up to this point.

I just hid @Zen Traveler 3 most recent posts which were clearly an attempt to swing this talk into current national politics.  @Zen Traveler, I agreed completely with what you had in 2 of those posts, but you are clearly taking jabs at current admin, please stop doing this.  If you can't help yourself stay out of here,  I put too much time into trying to keep this thread from being locked.

I really appreciate this.  It's not that I am all caught up on this particular topic.  It's more because I know we have some very thoughtful and intelligent people on this forum, and I like to have substantive discussions with them.  I don't like being shut down every time a topic can turn into political jabbing.  Maybe, this can be one that sets us on a new foot on how to have good, healthy discussions on some modern issues of substance without petty gamesmanship.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, LarryC said:

That's giving Russia a pass by presuming Russia + China are a zero sum. I'm only saying that Trump is trying to direct attention away from news of Russian meddling by trying to redirect fingers to China, which to my eyes seems to be a lesser offender.  China didn't try to swallow up Ukraine or possibly succeed in using subversive friends to help throw an American election and may still be trying.

It's a fine line Dr. Dr. but let's see if we can have this conversation about human rights in China without getting into politics, specifically the Chief Executive.

Over he last several days there have been a number of announcements about how bad countries were, like Canada, until a trade deal got signed, now they are our best friend again.

I don't think we need to get involved in politics to discuss Jeff's issues,

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I don't know if locking up a million Muslim citizens without due process is a lesser offender than Russia, or not.  Make the case for me.

Red Herring.  How about poisoning enemies of the state abroad, or murdering them in custody.  None of any offenses are meant to supersede the other.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I really appreciate this.  It's not that I am all caught up on this particular topic.  It's more because I know we have some very thoughtful and intelligent people on this forum, and I like to have substantive discussions with them.  I don't like being shut down every time a topic can turn into political jabbing.  Maybe, this can be one that sets us on a new foot on how to have good, healthy discussions on some modern issues of substance without petty gamesmanship.

Which is my goal in case everyone hasn't caught on, and I am doing this by myself.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Thus the challenge made above:  "Make the case for me."

Thus me pointing out that the comparison of one versus the other is a red herring.  You don't need a case to be made about who is worse.  It does nothing to further the discussion.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You mean before we were born.  Interpreting any of this using the very near term past is part of the problem, being sub-critical thinking.

Thank you.

You are so right.  None of this is near term, and why it can be discussed without discussing politics or current administration.

It starts in '72.

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

as long as we can keep the current administration out of it, particularly the Chief Executive. 

I really fail to see how you can possibly do that considering the current rhetoric out of Washington DC, and from "him"....dance around it all you want.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Ok, now that everyone has this figured out, you need to factor in the two most critical factors which, up to this point in the conversation have gone ignored.

First, you all have mentioned some of the ways the US and China poke at each other.  In advance of a negotiation sometimes, others just to get a jab in (kind of like on here at times).

The time to really start to worry, and it has happened in at least the 5 last administrations, is when China plays the Taiwan card.  

Second, China owns over 1 trillion of US Debt.