Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
rplace

Sold- Khorns Walnut MD/DC/VA/PA

Recommended Posts

I'm the 2nd owner of these beauties. I know everything there is to know about their history. They have only been moved twice in their life. From the Gramophone store, 1987 in the Baltimore, MD area to the original owners house and to my house from his in 2004. I guess 3 moves if you count the trip up from Hope.

 

I don't really need or want to sell them but they are out of my music room and sitting near my pool table in poor corners with tile floors, windows and glass framed half marathon posters all over the walls. Surely not an ideal listening environment. I'll probably regret selling them but it seems a shame to have them sitting unused. Hopefully the next person will love them as much as I have.

 

They are in really good shape. Not perfect but darn good. All corners are crisp and straight, no water/flower pot marks of any kind. These are perfect for being the show case of your main living area. Nothing to hide, nothing to be ashamed of. Truly fine furniture, not beat up frat house casts off in need of a winter's worth of restoration. If you were really motivated to make them better than new they could probably use a woodworkers fine toothed comb to rejuvenate the veneer. They never needed any attention as far as I was concerned. Just dusted and oiled from time to time. Multiple forum members have seen them and remarked on what great shape they are in.

 

The sound fantastic as you would expect. I'm selling them with Crites tweeters and DeanG crossovers installed and all the original parts included. If you have dreams of a killer home theater I have a single Walnut Belle with Crites tweeter and matching DeanG XO. I had all three crossovers built at the same time. The Belle includes the original tweeter and XO as well. I won't sell the Belle as a single speaker until the Khorns are sold. I'd really like to see them stick together if at all possible. The only exception is that I'll sell the Belle to @sunburnwilly for a good price to get the pair back together.

 

For the time being I don't have any interest in shipping them. I'm very close to I-95 Exit #80 in Maryland. Close to Philly, D.C., Northern VA, Delaware, NJ and NYC.

 

If you are seriously interested and need more pix I have a digital SLR. But please don't waste my time or yours kicking the tires. These are the real deal. If you want a pair of Khorns that ready to use, not a project come get them. Again if you are serious, I can move them back into my listening room for a test run with tubes or solid state gear, vinyl or CD/FLAC. Come hang out, have a beer and leave with a pair of Khorns.

 

$2950 for the pair of Khorns Crites and original tweeters, DeanG and original XOs. I've not given any thought to the Belle because I figure it is a long shot you want all three. Cell phone pix limited in size due to the forum rules to follow. The Lava Lamp is on one because of recent forum discussions and so you can tell the two apart if we need to discuss which one is which in PM. Oh, BTW they have been played loud....like they should from time to time.

 

1464981823_001Serial(Small).jpg.5f176fa77ae1b31f8dbeeb192d033545.jpg

 

1565638381_002Serial(Small).jpg.7c2b49e7c6c9b92756e147e1edc1c1ac.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look great.  Do you mind if I ask which Crites tweeters (125 or 120), mid drivers (solder lug or push pin), and what is the DeanG network config (AA or AKx)?  Figured you'd be getting those questions anyway.....GLWS

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rplace said:

BTW they have been played loud....like they should from time to time.

 

You're being honest about them.  I always get a kick out of someone selling them saying they've never been abused or played too loud....  I'll bet that person always drives 55 mph too!

 

Nice looking pair....  and nice lava lamp.  Those (damn) things always transfixed me when I saw them.  I grew up seeing them for the first time at the local barber shop and just sat there mesmerized by it.  Probably a diabolical plan by the barber to keep kids in line.  Certainly worked on me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That lava lamp is much too modern and, as such, is definitely not timbre matched to those Khorns!  The LL people went to a cheaper Chinese wax in 1994 that has completely different tonal characteristics. The least you could do is swap out the light bulb for one with a Crites filament. 

 

Pretty speakers, btw. Wish I lived closer. 

 

Matthew

Edited by Mateo6477
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beauties. GLWS 

 

Oh, BTW they have been played loud....like they should from time to time.

 

👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

They look great.  Do you mind if I ask which Crites tweeters (125 or 120), mid drivers (solder lug or push pin), and what is the DeanG network config (AA or AKx)?  Figured you'd be getting those questions anyway.....GLWS

 

Thanks! No idea on tweeters, tell me how to tell the difference. If bigger number = newer I'd bet the older version as I've had them since at least 2010. No mods beyond what I've listed from creation date. Mids are the stock 1987 type, is that K55-M, perhaps? Silver and flat not the gray domed. For sure not the soldered or push pin. The Belle has the Push Pin, older gray domed type. See blow from Dean when I questioned him about what crossovers I have when I was playing with the attenuation settings. If you are truly interested in them I'll go take pix of Mids/Tweets/XOs. Though, I have the feeling you are not in the market.

 

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, Deang said:

I sold you Super AAs, which were later renamed Alkjr by Al. 

 

I used to send a sheet with the networks, looks like you might have misplaced it. 

 

5 and 2 are the best setting for the K-55. 

 

As the chart shows, 4 and 1 is -7.4dB in midrange attenuation, which is more than a Cornwall! Set to 5 and 2 and walk away. 

 

 

53 minutes ago, Coytee said:

 

You're being honest about them.  I always get a kick out of someone selling them saying they've never been abused or played too loud....  I'll bet that person always drives 55 mph too!

 

Nice looking pair....  and nice lava lamp.  Those (damn) things always transfixed me when I saw them.  I grew up seeing them for the first time at the local barber shop and just sat there mesmerized by it.  Probably a diabolical plan by the barber to keep kids in line.  Certainly worked on me.

 

Thanks as well. I put that in just because I think the never driven hard is such a crock of sh!t. Loud volume can't hurt these babies, only extreme abuse can. They have been well played, loved and cared for. Mark IIIs, VRDs, Carver, Scott, Wright, Sunfire and probably more. All sounded great.

 

 

43 minutes ago, Mateo6477 said:

That lava lamp is much too modern and, as such, is definitely not timbre matched to those Khorns!  The LL people went to a cheaper Chinese wax in 1994 that has completely different tonal characteristics. The least you could do is swap out the light bulb for one with a Crites filament. 

 

That made me laugh. I agree a terrible match, what was I ever thinking. Wile mine is not super vintage it is still made in USA, Chicago in fact. Just like the khorns, not old not new.

 

565553713_IMG_20181009_072601638(Small).jpg.3c0162a58060e161a6f1cf647282a074.jpg

 

148540421_IMG_20181009_072633626(Small).jpg.8c5f1f7e078f2e78ae7544d10bd4c8e0.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rplace said:

Thanks! No idea on tweeters, tell me how to tell the difference. If bigger number = newer I'd bet the older version as I've had them since at least 2010. No mods beyond what I've listed from creation date. Mids are the stock 1987 type, is that K55-M, perhaps? Silver and flat not the gray domed. For sure not the soldered or push pin. The Belle has the Push Pin, older gray domed type. See blow from Dean when I questioned him about what crossovers I have when I was playing with the attenuation settings. If you are truly interested in them I'll go take pix of Mids/Tweets/XOs. Though, I have the feeling you are not in the market.

No, actually the other way around with the tweeters.  The 125 are the older version.

 

Yes, likely K55-M.

 

I was just asking first since I figured others would anyway, not tire kicking.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rplace said:

I sold you Super AAs, which were later renamed Alkjr by Al. 

GLWS

Thanks for keeping me in mind for my center Belle's sister . I would be interested if it came down to it . But whoever buys the KHorns should seriously consider the front 3 package .

I went Dean's Super AA's for my front 3 as well and have been very happy with the choice .

Here's a pic of mine .

07.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Rich I know it is killing you to part with the K-Horns, But you are on the right path my friend. Keep the Faith

 

GLWS

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 2:39 PM, veloceleste said:

Does that mean I can't buy them because I live in Delaware?

 

Okay, just this once. I was hoping they would go to a good home.😉

 

Weekend bump

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khorns and Belle sold. Thanks Klipsch forum! 

 

I already miss them. Fear I'm going to regret this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rplace said:

Khorns and Belle sold. Thanks Klipsch forum! 

 

I already miss them. Fear I'm going to regret this.

 

I thought that too when I sold my Khorns and Belles. However, I should have kept my Khorns for my wood shop, although they were way too nice to put in a shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

 

I thought that too when I sold my Khorns and Belles. However, I should have kept my Khorns for my wood shop, although they were way too nice to put in a shop.

I've got LSIs there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...