BB

Jim Cornell

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Hey all,

It's sort of a relief to hear I'm not the only one that experiences the, "alone" feeling of this hobby.

I've auditioned my system to freinds & family members, and it seems like they can't what to leave the room. I start to wonder if its my imagination, that it sounds so good that you DON'T want to leave the room.

I don't think were alone in this line of thought. I'm sure there are hobbists out there that feel the same about there enthusiasm for what they love to do, feeling all alone and all.

Tom

I have found this hobby is very lonely. Though forutnate a number of friends have helped me build the HT, I am talking a lot of hours and only asking for lunch.

My family doesn't enjoy it, friends think its impressive but think I am crazy for doing it.

When asked what is involved in doing an HT people usally say things like BOSE or HTiB. I love but find it difficult to enjoy it by my lonesome.

I agree about the loneliness of this hobby, but fortunantly for me I have my 2 younger brothers who live with me, and they're just as passionate about audio/HT as I am (we, along with yet another brother who lives up in Niagara Falls, get our love of audio from our dad). We all just have a few good friends who are also into audio to some extent, but most if not all of our coworkers couldn't care less...

Oh well, their loss.

Yep, I have all this system and no one but myself to enjoy it with. I can't seem to get anyone to come over and watch a movie and see what it can do. The wife listens and uses it all the time but probably doesn't give it much thought. The only time I heard her say anything about it was when she and her sister watched the movie Drumline they both were amazed with the clarity, detail and live impact sound of the Heritage speakers. Other than that mums the word, unless something new shows up, then it's where did you get that? when? How much did it cost?

This is NOT directed at Jim. I thought he was refering to me in earlier in this post.

It gets old sometimes when you love audio and stereo equipment and sound. People outside of this forum, for the most part, say it is stupid to be passionate about music after your out of high school and or college. We love music, so we buy great stereos to play our music back on. Movies become more important at home, especially when you have kids, so you build a Home Theater so you and your family can enjoy it together, and still people say it is stupid. (BTW, some of the best movies by Disney and Pixar have incredible sound tracks.) In my case, I also enjoy to sing. But I no longer desire to be a "rock star" with a real job and family commitments, so I did the next best thing... Karaoke. With Karaoke at home, instead of going out to bars at 9PM - 2 AM trying to sing 2-3 songs in one whole night wooopie ...enduring smoke.. drunks and jerks..ok I adnmit it.. some are..., at 40+ yrs old I neither had the patience or the need to do that above my family but rather enjoy singing in general all types of music and periods. Sometimes with friends, sometimes alone.

I happen to love Klipsch, I think they make some of the finest reproducing speakers that MY ears like, so I incorporated it into my own music system for Karaoke.

Below is my rant to all the anti Karaoke people. BTW your beloved La Scalas were developed by Paul for the Rockafeller running campaign to be gov. of NY to project his VOICE over crowds he was visiting by trains or in big halls. We all love the La Scalas becuase they are a true VOICE speaker..in that the vocals seem to really be smooth and crystal clear out of the box. (OK, and sometimes very loud too.. hehehe) Below is my origional post.

====================================================

I just let this forum BB go as I was afraid to join in too. It is a lonely hobby to pursue something that you feel soo passionately about, only to have someone else you like or love have no or little interest!

Karaoke in the 2000's.

As a musician in the 80's I was in a good rock n roll group. We toured as a college frat party band who made it to the little, then bigger, better playing clubs. My energy seemd to be focused on getting great music to the people who came to see us first. (The 80's were notorious for great one hit wonders. As well as a midwest kinda guy John Mellencamp was my hero.) I also was very passionate about having great sound at our shows..LOTS of lights... And above all, having fun. I wasn't into it for the money, or as big of an ego thing to my own head, OK, maybe to meet girls was a consideration, and showing off some.. But really more of a I want this to be good, and proud of it later of myself stepping back from it.

I would love to have had the opportunity to have had a CD done..or a video done of us to laugh at today. My local heros such as Faith Band, Roadmaster, and Henry Lee Summer, The Deal with Kenny Edmonds (known today as Babyface) and Jimmy Ryser.(All Indiana bands.)

One great group called The Producers, were a huge favorite of mine. Kyle henderson who played bass and co- sang lead vocals in the band was a HS speech teachers son of mine, and just a few years older. They were one of the first bands to make it big on MTV the first few years. It was semi his fault to create this passion to sing live in a band as he pulled me up on stage at 19 yrs old to sing in front of a full house of beautiful screaming women... In an encore Beatles number with the band. I was hooked. If you lived in Atlanta, Louisianna, or FL, or for some strange reason Wisconsin... The Producers were huge. I played thier tunes as a DJ and sang them later in my band. A person on my dorm floor, now an Sr. Exec. at One Way Records where they re mastered their 2LP's on CD for all to enjoy today, I know Eddie would have never pushed for it, had he not heard "She Shelia" and tother The Producers songs literally 1000's of times from my dorm room.

I played baseball with a kid named Scott Leonard. Scott is the lead singer in a accapella group called Rockapella. If you have never heard of what 4 voices and a vocal percussionist sound like, no instrments except their bodies and vocal cords, you need to check them out. If you have kids, and can remember the kids show "Where in the world is carmen san diego?"..., They were on the show doing skits and sang the song.

Music was brought into our house as a kid with the 40's singers singing what we call today classics, into the 50's and 60's.. some of the 70's era was terrible, but I was a young teen too, so all of the Osmond Brothers, Jackson Five, Bay City Rollers was my bubble gum fix while groups like YES, Kiss, The moody blues, doobie brothers, rush, styx, reo speedwagon, Queen, intermixed with symphony and broadway musicals, neil diamond, Johnny Mathis, blue oyster cult, re discovering the beatles, jimmy page, jefferson starship, and other late 60's - 70's artists too. While in high school into the 80's in college I found funk, RnB, reggae, ska, dance, trance, high energy, lots of mellencamp, bruce springsteen, tom petty, james taylor, Stray Cats, Michael Jackson, luther vandross, and U2. I guess like Jim, music like movies..well some movies...always has always moved me. Sometimes to passionate lows or highs... but always within my soul.

I love finding artists and introducing them to others like at the Klipsch weekend with Eva Cassidy. I do not think we need to pigeon hole everything we listen to as this or that. As a matter of fact if you only like one genre of music shame on you for not stretching your horizon a little. Green Day, Alanis Morrisette and Frank Sinatra are way apart. Yet on some songs you feel the passion still come through.

So, I am sorry I upset some of you with using pro La Scalas as a Karaoke System. I happen to like Klipsch a lot, and I love to sing... still. My "band" today in 2003, is now a audio CD with words, so I do not forget them. I never have any issues with band members, bass players, girlfriends of band members wanting to sing backup... Then when they split up, which one do I keep? Or managers, club owners, or money issues. Or even bigger issues in real life on the road like how to bankroll the band and still have fun doing it, till you get famous? My band on the CD--- CDG to be exact, shows up on time every time when I insert it into the machine...it plays the songs I like. My friends come over sometimes and sing with me, and some yes even bring their own instruments, too, as we sing into the night.

You guys on the board are my friends, much like the guys as a kid in the better stereo stores were to me.. We exchange ideas, learn from one another, and yes understand as we get to know eachother better, where the other one comes from.

To quote a friend of mine, Karen, who is a KJ or Karaoke Jock:

"Everyone can sing

As humans, most of us have been blessed with a voice

One which allows us to communicate and laugh and cry

And sing

But we are taught that certain people are special

And deserve the right to sing because their voice is better

Or prettier

And we support those elite few by giving them money

And singing along with them in our cars

Or our showers

Or sometimes walking down the street

Because we are moved by them

Until we catch the next car over staring

And having been caught

Silence ourselves

Now I'm not saying there isn't brilliance of talent in the universe

Artists

Voices that can touch millions and move us to sing along in our cars

Or our showers

All I'm saying is we each have an inherent need for self expression

And insecurity and fear and this elitist mentality

Prevent us every day from discovering the great works of art

That are most definitely hiding within

With a little luck

Some humor

A smart-*** DJ

And maybe a wee bit of alcohol

Together we can create a non-threatening environment

Where we can all feel comfortable enough

To find our own voice."

So I am sorry if I use Klipsch for Karaoke and that annoys you audio purists. I happen to think it is not only ok to use Klipsch in this way, but incredible!!

Wow! The Producers! I didn't think anyone else knew this band existed. I have the LP, but recently got the double album CD my favorites are "Body Language" and "Life of Crime" good beats on that album, certainly one of my favorite bands growing up. Small world.

LOL thats right, most pixar movies have kick *** sound!

Roger you have a very nice post here, makes sence in more ways than i can count!

I myself have sang on the wifes old pioneer QX9900, and ill tell you what, i could of been a lead singer in a heavy metal band, i have it!

It was a blast, me and the wife both had fun that night!

I got rid of the H/T twice, only because we were the only ones into it, and we got bored with it, so i decided to sell it off, to get into something else!

Now once again, i will do it again, with heritage, i think i will like it the most, out of all 2 times we had it!

Wont be easy, itll be a while before i can get a 7.1 reciever, no hurry!

Its all good and fun, im glad to see the old BB thread come back after alomost a year!

JCTurbo, im not into heavy metal as much, i got old LOL!

Regards Jim

9.gif

----------------

On 10/19/2002 11:59:39 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

I guess I have a little bit of both city and country. I work in doowntown Cincy (yea, I know the Bengals suck (again)) but I live about 20 miles east in the next county. There's barley any sidewalks out here and the people are a lot more friendly than where I grew up. The Fatherland (as we call where we lived as children) unfortunatley is starting to look a lot like (insert your down trodden area here). I've lived out there for five years now and still don't know nearly the same amount of people I did where I was young. But in retrospect the old nieghborhood didn't seem that bad back then. Looking at that same place now, this was definitely a step up.

A lot of times I just lament over the days in the early 80's when the usual night was sitting on the front porch of a good friend's just seein' who we'ed see go by. Sit, talk, tease, listen to a boom box of oldies', drink (well, they did anyway) and for the most part toasting our friendship. These were the same group of guys I've known since 70' or so. We all did some growing since then. Some growing away and some not. But that one house is till the meeting place if we decide to visit "home".

Here's to "the guys":

Tim Thomas (the house owner)

Bud Thomas (Tim's dad)

Dewey Thomas (Tim' uncle)

LeRoy Presley

Rusty Steadman

Chris Steadman

Roger Cress

Terry Stacey

Tom Blasing

----------------

Wow. We must live about 10 mins from each other. I also work downtown. Hmmm...are you my boss? LOL

i was reading this thread and came upon a comment that "audio is a fad that is fading" or something to that extent.

now i dont know if this relates to the recent thread of posts but i just want to put my two cents in.

audio is not fading atleast not to me. i am one of those recent converts who 6 months ago knew nothing about audio - much less the physical difference between a subwoofer and an electrostatic speaker - or even more so, i wouldnt be even able to differentiate the difference between a tweeter and a woofer for a sub.

i love audio. it has opened my eyes and has given me an excuse to relearn the physics i was taught a year ago (V=IR, P=IV, c=hf - stuff like that, stuff that i couldnt really relate to). now here i am, about to take the mcats (medical school entrance exam) and my favorite passages in it are those that relate to audio.

so, no... audio isnt a fad dying for me. in fact, my friends and brothers are all into it now - what are you gonna do with $5000 (if you had it) i asked my brother the other day? the answer? keep in mind this is coming from a 13 year old.

4 rf-5s, an rc-3II, an svs pci-25-31 and a flat tv.