Waters vs Gilmour

Heritage_Head

20 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Im curious what others on this forum think of this debate........

Waters song writing has the life experiences and writing chops behind it. Gilmour's musicianship is undeniably greater. What is seared into our memories from music? You know the cut to the chase lyrics are fairly concise and to the point. The stories resonate with us. Memorable. The guitar solos have such power or finesse and emotion that stirs our souls. I do know, personally, there are some who don't 'feel' music. So the art of including your soul in your performance is somewhat 'lost' in their expereince. But not me. Music heals my soul and I can easily divvy up what is that stirs it. Sometimes the story... sometimes the way it is told.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KlipschFish said:

Waters song writing has the life experiences and writing chops behind it. Gilmour's musicianship is undeniably greater. What is seared into our memories from music? You know the cut to the chase lyrics are fairly concise and to the point. The stories resonate with us. Memorable. The guitar solos have such power or finesse and emotion that stirs our souls. I do know, personally, there are some who don't 'feel' music. So the art of including your soul in your performance is somewhat 'lost' in their expereince. But not me. Music heals my soul and I can easily divvy up what is that stirs it. Sometimes the story... sometimes the way it is told.

Definitely beyond just entertainment 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

I haven't read his book no.

Understand Waters was a very very depressed person. And we are all better off from it. We don't have the best Pink Floyd if he wasn't!!

Drugs and depression results in some of the best art in the right hands.  Unfortunate for the artist, but I guess that is their devil's bargain. 

I was just talking to my wife about this when listening to the Doors when Jim Morrison, whacked out of his mind, starts singing 'Mr. Mojo risin'  when he rearranged the letters of his name in his head.  The studio just went with it and look at what we all have to enjoy.  Same with the Beatles, they got good after spending some time in India doing "pharmaceutical research" with the Stones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Drugs and depression results in some of the best art in the right hands. 

Sadly yes this is so true. I have made it through many days by singing along to tons of blues tunes. Sharing the grief, so to speak. I wish I were an artist. I have the depression to be good! (only joking, by the way. I speak from my own experience. Wouldn't wish depression on anyone. Or make fun of those who are)

20 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

For me its Waters.... But as large as Waters was in the success of Pink Floyd. I don't think he becomes an all time great without David.

Got a good story from several years back, from a friend I grew up with. He was in NYC on business. As he was checking into his hotel, he walked up to the check in counter and was asked: "What is your last name sir?" To which he responded: "Waters," (his first name is Chris). Just then there were 3 older men, who overheard him and looked over at him with a slightly freaked out look on their face for a moment..............................the men were the other 3 members of Pink Floyd, also checking in at the same time, obviously after their original bass player had left the band.

Funny and totally TRUE! What's also interesting is that this same Chris Waters went to a hot dog stand at Cobo Hall, where a bunch of us went to see Pink Floyd soon after Dark Side of the Moon LP was released March 5, 1973, (with their Quad PA system). Chris came back from the hot dog stand and said: "The lead guitar player was in line to get a hot dog." This was during a brief intermission while the band recovered from an explosion gone wrong on stage. I think it's even on Wikipedia about the explosion. Small world.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Drugs and depression results in some of the best art in the right hands.  Unfortunate for the artist, but I guess that is their devil's bargain. 

I was just talking to my wife about this when listening to the Doors when Jim Morrison, whacked out of his mind, starts singing 'Mr. Mojo risin'  when he rearranged the letters of his name in his head.  The studio just went with it and look at what we all have to enjoy.  Same with the Beatles, they got good after spending some time in India doing "pharmaceutical research" with the Stones. 

Your right. Bands are great then they all get sober and never write another song anyone wants to listen to. See Metallica 

But Waters didn't use drugs. He smoked a little hash here and there but never anything that was all the time. None of them did really (sid but I don't really count him).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Your right. Bands are great then they all get sober and never write another song anyone wants to listen to. See Metallica 

But Waters didn't use drugs. He smoked a little hash here and there but never anything that was all the time. None of them did really (sid but I don't really count him).

Even worse, they get sober in the 80's when synthesizers were still somewhat new and everyone decided to use them as much as possible.  Like a little ketchup, how about too much?  Tragic decade for music.  

To the second point, well taken.  But even smoking really good pot with change the way that you interpret the world.   

• Like 1

Waters had many outlets of pain (ill only talk on one for this post). But war was the biggest. He referenced losing his dad a lot but that was just his way of using it as an example to make his point coming from someone who had it first hand. Like someone giving a speech on life on drugs. Comes much better from someone with real experience in life on drugs. 

So that was his way of being taken serious when talking about the pain war causes to families. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Even worse, they get sober in the 80's when synthesizers were still somewhat new and everyone decided to use them as much as possible.  Like a little ketchup, how about too much?  Tragic decade for music.  

To the second point, well taken.  But even smoking really good pot with change the way that you interpret the world.   

80s was pretty bad. Except for metal Slayer, and Metallica in there primes.

I don't know how much Waters really smoked, but...He always answers the question "did you guys use drugs ever back then?" His answer was always right away "NO". Then they would be like "Really?". And he would confess that he has on rare occasion smoked a little hash (I think he called it another word but same meaning).

From his tone and body language he was saying he didn't do drugs. But would be lying if he said he never has. This is a 60 year old man (75 or more now i think) thats done everything a person could dream of. Im sure he has his secrets but lying about this now would make no sense at all. So I believe him. 

What cut to my core was the amazing Vocals by Clare Torry on Dark Side of the Moon's "Great Gig in the Sky,"
as creatively driven by David Gilmour, who gave her a Heineken beer before the second take. She quit before the 3rd take and said she couldn't improve on it. She just spontaneously did it and never gave it much thought. She had no idea going in, and didn't know what they would do with it until the album came out and was a great success in the USA.

• Like 2

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

What cut to my core was the amazing Vocals by Clare Torry on Dark Side of the Moon, as creatively driven by David Gilmour, who gave her a Heineken beer before the second take. She quit before the 3rd take and said she couldn't improve on it. 

I didn't know that. Fun tidbit 👍

55 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

What cut to my core was the amazing Vocals by Clare Torry on Dark Side of the Moon's "Great Gig in the Sky,"
as creatively driven by David Gilmour, who gave her a Heineken beer before the second take. She quit before the 3rd take and said she couldn't improve on it. She just spontaneously did it and never gave it much thought. She had no idea going in, and didn't know what they would do with it until the album came out and was a great success in the USA.

Wasn't her 'singing' in Great Gig in the Sky her having sex?  (not actually, but singing out the act of having sex)

I think that after the second take she was done. 

She had no clue going into it what ANYone wanted.  Just cut loose and boom there it was. She was given a time frame to do anything she wanted and the end result?  Perfection!  One of the best ever runs like that I've heard!  Soooo many great back up's out there I'm happy to see them get some recognition for their work.

• Like 3