Any Lennox HVAC guys on this here forum

babadono

3 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

And on the subject, R410a looking like another huge government forced mistake. Higher pressures coupled with aluminum coils resulting in much shorter service life. 5 year old units across many brands needing refrigerant??? Friggin ridiculous.

I replaced all of my outdoor units in 2015 or 16 even though they were all working, to avoid the switch over to 410.  Hopefully a new technology. 

Anyone using mini split systems? 

A big thing with minisplits is that you cannot neglect maintenance. The way the condensate drains are designed (no other choice really) makes them very susceptible to clogging up, which leads to water running down your wall or worse inside your wall where you may not realize it until it's a really big problem. It's also really nice if you have it mounted in an area where you have access directly behind the unit. Not always possible though.

They've become very popular in large buildings as well with multiple heads on a single condensing unit in what's known as VRF systems. Some of the "heads" are ducted, wall mount ductless or ceiling cassette ductless. We've done a lot of hotels, offices and multi-family applications.

Like anything else a good contractor can make or break the installation. 

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Allrighty, Lennox says 10 year warranty from time of closing/certificate of completion on home. So that means they should honor it until June 2020. I think I'll make sure my dealer will replace motor under warranty. If not I'll order the one @CECAA850 found for me and DIY. Maybe there is more wrong with the unit?

Hey I thought they said no way any warranty was left.... :)

12 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Hey I thought they said no way any warranty was left.... :)

That's what the original install contractor said. Now that I have confirmed with Lennox that "no its 10 years", the contractor is investigating. I've told them I know at least the fan motor is bad and if they will not cover  the fan under warranty I'll do it myself.

Then we'll see if anything else is wrong or not.

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Anyone using mini split systems? 

I just installed an LG mini split in my garage.  Wish I had done it sooner.  I did everything install wise but pull the vacuum on it and had a friend who does ac do that for me.  It's really efficient as I believe it's around a 24 seer.  The inside and outside units are unbelievably quiet.

54 minutes ago, billybob said:

Them split systems seem reliable. Bro has just one and doing the job efficient ly with no prob after 3 years Florida...

Brother built a house a year or so with 3 of them.  They do a great job.

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I just installed an LG mini split in my garage.  Wish I had done it sooner.  I did everything install wise but pull the vacuum on it and had a friend who does ac do that for me.  It's really efficient as I believe it's around a 24 seer.  The inside and outside units are unbelievably quiet.

Unit is as quiet as a mouse p,ing

on cotton...

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Brother built a house a year or so with 3 of them.  They do a great job.

I'd like to convert my whole house.  Here is where I struggle.  How do you handle hallways, closets and bathrooms? 

The mini splits circulate air in a room, but are not designed to circulate through halls like a central unit. 

Small rooms like closets and bathrooms are also an issue.  How do you circulate air in these rooms? 

Just now, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I'd like to convert my whole house.  Here is where I struggle.  How do you handle hallways, closets and bathrooms? 

The mini splits circulate air in a room, but are not designed to circulate through halls like a central unit. 

Small rooms like closets and bathrooms are also an issue.  How do you circulate air in these rooms? 

You can install flexible duct fans if you need air in a particular room. 

• Like 1