The Klipsch Audio Community
mopardave

CornScala project

Now that the weather has turned I will be getting started with this project. It will takes some time because they are at my fathers home.  I just cut the holes for the zxpc horns and sanded them down a bit. I will be using DE85 Mid driver on them and for tweets will be using the De120's. Debating on using new woofers as my k33E's do not match, 1 square and 1 round magnet. Think i'll just order up a pair of 15c's.  Need to get the tweeter openings cleaned up a bit and some more sanding.  Will also be using ALK universals.   Gonna paint fronts, backs and risers semi gloss black. The rest will be veneered.  Haven't decided on veneer for sure yet. Have to see it to know.  Here's a couple i'm now looking at.   Also gonna use the lambs wool grill fabric.   Should be fun.

1_Vinterio_walnut_classic__54932.1550690384.jpg

vtecebonybrownqtr__54512.1510348383.1280.1280.jpg

• Like 1

I like it alot. The walnut in the top pick will be darker when oiled and will look nice as well.  The walnut is $400 a 4x10 sheet. The ebony is about half that.

Thinking about ordering a couple Kappa 15c's for the project.  Which ohm version do I order, 4 or 8ohm?  My BC DE85's are 8ohm as well as the DE120-8.  

The Kappa 15C is a 4 Ohms, it's normal!

K33E is also a 4Ohms and the corns above are in 8ohms

1 hour ago, mustang_flht said:

The Kappa 15C is a 4 Ohms, it's normal!

K33E is also a 4Ohms and the corns above are in 8ohms

Ok. Thought I seen 15c available both ways.  Thanks

Looking forward to seeing this project being built. I might need your advice on veneer for my K-Horn project.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:02 AM, kevinmi said:

Looking forward to seeing this project being built. I might need your advice on veneer for my K-Horn project.

Not a problem Kevin, any time.   Hope to have these finished by the end of the year.

Where are you sourcing the veneer?

5 hours ago, Skelt said:

Where are you sourcing the veneer?

Oakwood veneer Detroit area.  They have some nice stuff and very helpful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Contrast on the ebony is gorgeous and eye catching.  Looks like a fun project 

Yeah, shouldn't be too bad.  Veneering is so easy to do and looks very nice when your done.

• Like 2

Made a little progress on the project. I must say I am not a professional carpenter in any way, just a hobbyist.   Horns are just about ready to install. Got holes cut and inside flange installed. Tweeter openings are moved and trimmed out.  Next trip to my dads I will get all the sanding done and install the mid horn brace.   I filled in all the old counter sunk screw holes on the backs and drilled new one's as well.  Lots of sanding to do.   Once that's done I can lay down some semi gloss black paint to front and back.    I should be able to get to the veneer by end of November.

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

couple more.    Question, on the back panel, I removed all the rope caulk I had around opening to seal back. Should I put anything in there or just install back with no seal?    I know Paul never used seals to seal the backs of his speakers to best of my knowledge.

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

I would use a thin foam seal, like the stuff you buy at Home Depot, to make sure the cabinet is as airtight as possible.

3 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I would use a thin foam seal, like the stuff you buy at Home Depot, to make sure the cabinet is as airtight as possible.

Ok, thanks kevin. I'll see what I can find for that.