Anyone here a recruiter or hiring authority?

BigStewMan

6 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i’ve never participated in facebook.  crazy?  well, they’ll find that out if they interview me. i tend to leave interviews thinking, “I probably shouldn’t have said that.”  Except for the time i went to a panel interview and there were four ladies on the panel, and i approached the table they were seated at, stood there and shook their hands. after the interview as i walked out i noticed that my pants were TOTALLY unzipped and it was VERY noticeable.  Didn’t get the job; but they ranked me high and put me on the “A” list for future hiring. 

I don't do facebook either. Have heard they frown on not having social media but im not into it either. We ll except for 2 or 3 forums.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, moray james said:

as it turns out there is not a lot of difference and that's why PW chose to save material and overall cabinet size by mounting them horizontally. the same can be said for the Heresy and also the Cornwall which as we all know was made available as a vertical positioning both the K600 and the K77 vertically.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:35 PM, BigStewMan said:

and you’re counting down the days till first snow, right?  When do you usually get the first snow accumulation? October???

On 10/5/2019 at 12:42 PM, BigStewMan said:

When a question asks you to “briefly” state how your background and experience prepares you for the job ... how much can you write and still be “brief?”  

Curious as to whether there are unwritten rules such as  “x” number of paragraphs is acceptable -- go over that amount and the application is tossed without being read. 

I’m getting answers ranging from one paragraph that consists of four to five sentences and others saying two double-spaced pages and one said 500 words. 

so, if anyone here is in HR and reads mountains of resumes ... please let me know what recruiters think the limit of brief is.  oh yeah, this wasn’t in regards to the resume; but, to three  supplemental questions asked on the application. Thanks for the advice.

Very timely post, I am now in the same situation. Was just ousted by our board. Looking at a position with the government of the NWT. Met with a friend who is a regional director and discovered they (government), look for a different style and format than do the private sector. Will be word crafting all day tomorrow. Incorporate things that directly relate to the verbiage in the job description. A cover letter addressing some of this is essential. Many HR departments now use very robotic initial screening. First time I’ve had to do this in over a decade.

• Like 1

Good Luck Thom ... hope you get a new gig quickly.  My package was submitted and recruitment closed on the 9th; but governments work exceedingly slow. Yeah, there are buzz words that some look for; but to me i wonder why they’ll fall for a person that uses too many buzz words?  I guess if it’s electronic vetting then you have to use them. I’m not sweating since i don’t “need” to work.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Good Luck Thom ... hope you get a new gig quickly.  My package was submitted and recruitment closed on the 9th; but governments work exceedingly slow. Yeah, there are buzz words that some look for; but to me i wonder why they’ll fall for a person that uses too many buzz words?  I guess if it’s electronic vetting then you have to use them. I’m not sweating since i don’t “need” to work.  

Thanks. Fortunately I received a pretty reasonable severance and will be afloat until June. Gives me some breathing room and lessens the stress. Looking for a new position is now my full time job.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 12:42 PM, BigStewMan said:

When a question asks you to “briefly” state how your background and experience prepares you for the job ... how much can you write and still be “brief?”  

Curious as to whether there are unwritten rules such as  “x” number of paragraphs is acceptable -- go over that amount and the application is tossed without being read. 

I’m getting answers ranging from one paragraph that consists of four to five sentences and others saying two double-spaced pages and one said 500 words. 

so, if anyone here is in HR and reads mountains of resumes ... please let me know what recruiters think the limit of brief is.  oh yeah, this wasn’t in regards to the resume; but, to three  supplemental questions asked on the application. Thanks for the advice.

I used to have to hire people and do annual performance interviews before I retired (liked to hire people, hated to have to fire them - 3 for cause in 30 years, so I was pretty picky or pretty lucky). I always preferred a short concise resume or CV preferably with the highlights in point form. The old writing rule of tell them what you want to tell them, tell them, and then summarize always caught my eye.

Getting in the door is usually more than half the battle.

Good luck!

Wb

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 2:42 PM, BigStewMan said:

“briefly” state how your background and experience prepares you for the job.

I would look for someone who can write a coherent sentence or two without trying to BS you. The qualifications section is for the BS.

On 10/17/2019 at 2:34 PM, BigStewMan said:

While I’ve never heard of Tarheel ... if he was expecting me to lobby for the right to unzip my pants ... sorry to disappoint him. 

Just tell them what I do. It’s not real big around, but it sure is short!

So, this morning, I decide to email the job recruiter and thank her for her help and ask if she has any idea when they’ll decide who gets invited to interview. I had a bad feeling that i’d screw something up; but as is often the case, i didn’t listen to myself. So, I drafted an email, checked it three times -- no errors and off it goes. 

She replies by thanking me for the email and saying that there were well over 200 applicants and they hope to make the first cuts in a week or two.

Then i notice my email to her is in some GIANT font size.  It looked normal when i hit reply and typed it out; but somewhere along the line it got enlarged to four times the size of the font that she used.

well, she knows now that it was a serious question!  I guess either Apple or Safari doesn’t want me to go back to work. this reeks of a vast tech conspiracy to keep me out of the workforce. 

I sure hope i wasn’t on the bubble because that font was large enough to pop it.. 

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It could be worse---all caps and exclamation points!

she did overuse the exclamation points ... one after the greeting and another when she ended with “Thanks!”  I didn’t hold that against her. Actually, she’ll probably forget about my email by the time she finishes lunch and the team working on the applications won’t ever see it. So, when they give her the interview list, i doubt she’ll have me removed because i used a font size better suited for a poster announcing that the circus is coming to town.