Amazon Robbed Me!

Pats3of4

Ok, so a few weeks ago I buy an Optoma 39hdr projector.  It was suppose to be new.  Received it.  It had been opened.  This irritated me so I returned it the very next day.  They received it 8 days ago according to UPS tracking.  I contacted them via chat 5 times prior to today asking about a refund as it’s usually immediate.  $834!  Last night rep said all was good and refund would def be issued today.  It wasn’t.  

I contact them again via chat.  Get their “special” department.  They said no refund would be given as they received an older model Optoma with a different serial number.  I asked what model.  They didn’t know.  I asked for both serial numbers- they didn’t know.  I said then return the projector to me so I could investigate.  They said the projector had been “destroyed and disposed of” (seriously) I asked for proof- they ended the chat without warning.

I contact again via chat.  Same convo.  They couldn’t give me any info- they didn’t have it.  It was just notated different projector returned.  I asked about their thought on being unethical and theft.  Ask if they felt it was ok that the only proof had been destroyed.  Asked if it was ok that I have no projector and they have my $834.  Asked for their supervisor. Nope, disconnected again.  Then they disable my chat function.

I just did a chargeback and a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. 

I’m dumbfounded if they truly felt there was a discrepancy, why they wouldn’t just return it.  Destroy it?  Really?  I have no proof.  They saw no problem with any of this...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Pats3of4 said:

Ok, so a few weeks ago I buy an Optoma 39hdr projector.  It was suppose to be new.  Received it.  It had been opened.  This irritated me so I returned it the very next day.  They received it 8 days ago according to UPS tracking.  I contacted them via chat 5 times prior to today asking about a refund as it’s usually immediate.  $834!  Last night rep said all was good and refund would def be issued today.  It wasn’t.  

I contact them again via chat.  Get their “special” department.  They said no refund would be given as they received an older model Optoma with a different serial number.  I asked what model.  They didn’t know.  I asked for both serial numbers- they didn’t know.  I said then return the projector to me so I could investigate.  They said the projector had been “destroyed and disposed of” (seriously) I asked for proof- they ended the chat without warning.

I contact again via chat.  Same convo.  They couldn’t give me any info- they didn’t have it.  It was just notated different projector returned.  I asked about their thought on being unethical and theft.  Ask if they felt it was ok that the only proof had been destroyed.  Asked if it was ok that I have no projector and they have my $834.  Asked for their supervisor. Nope, disconnected again.  Then they disable my chat function.

I just did a chargeback and a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. 

I’m dumbfounded if they truly felt there was a discrepancy, why they wouldn’t just return it.  Destroy it?  Really?  I have no proof.  They saw no problem with any of this...

Are you dealing with Amazon, or one of their 3rd party sellers?

• Like 2

This is Amazon itself.  We have had Prime for years, use Prime Pantry.  Its an Amazon cc but with Chase bank.  I called them.  I just couldn’t believe they destroyed the projector😱.  Then kept disconnecting me

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Pats3of4 said:

We spend a ton each month as we buy cleaning products, household stuff, pet food, etc.

Aside from stupid packing, excess boxes, etc

we have never had any trouble.  I even bought a couch and lawn mower from them

I'm sure that when you get someone on the phone they're going to clear this up.  Please let us know how that call goes.  

• Like 1

Sounds like you are dealing with company policy and the folks you have been in contact with do not have authority to do anything but quote policy.

Because serial #'s don't match... someone pulled one over on them and it didn't surface until your transaction... They are calling fraud and as far as they're concerned, you have the projector they shipped and you sent back an old model...  or, similar items were being repacked and put in the wrong boxes???

this is quite a departure from what I have heard of their return policy. My friend does have to be wary of what carrier is to deliver his stuff, though. The wrong one's  regular driver throws his packages over fences, everywhere but his place. The sub driver finds it fine.  ??? Lucky we live in a small town... ~500 in "town", the mis-delivered stuff does find its way "home"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Randyh said:

your credit card cie should be handling the refund --

Yep, let the credit card company deal with it.  Call them and dispute the charge.  You'll have your money back instantly while they research it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pats3of4 said:

Someone probably took it home, but the way they do security, if you clock out with a smile on your face they will fire you for leaving with something you didn't come in with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Situations like this are why I have gotten in the habit of taking pictures of what I'm shipping (either sold online or as a return) and how I've packed it into the box and also the outside of the box to show that it was not damaged when it left. It's saved my *** on eBay disputes a couple of times because I was able to prove that the item wasn't damaged, that it was what I listed it to be and that I packed it safely and adequately (all time and date stamped, of course).

Sorry you got the run-around.

• Like 2