Guns Guns Guns

NADman

Actually, perpetrators of mass shootings do usually “work” alone.  The Columbine high school massacre and the Washington sniper shootings are very rare examples of two probably deranged individuals cooperating to kill a large number of people.  The sadly usual case involves a single man (almost always a man) with a grudge against a group (his bosses and co-workers, his school or college, etc.). As far as I know, there have no “team” shootings like that in Canada, unless you count the shooting spree across Canada last summer by the two teenagers who killed three victims and later killed each other in a suicide pact.

Mass shooting are in the minority of murders committed with a gun. Far more home invasions, numbers are NOT even in the same ballpark, and multiple assailants are common in home invasions. Local crooks robbed on of my moms neighbors at gun point. They were not home, it was the middle of the afternoon but a furnace repairman was there. They tied the repairman up with duct tape and proceeded to rob the house and left him there like that when they finished. I don't pretend to understand how anyone thinks, but if you have a wife and kids and intruders break into your house armed, I would hope you would arm yourself and protect your loved ones !!

Roger

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I have between 3,000 and 5,000 rounds on hand at all times. I would have more, if I were still able to work. Hell, I used to carry 1,400 rounds on hand just for .44 magnum. I have a 6 shot revolver and I used to shoot between 200 to 800 rounds in one day, every weekend, 6 rounds every time I loaded her and I hand loaded every round myself on my bench.

Roger

I believe that .44 magnum rounds are $35.00 per box.

JJK

The funny thing about all this outcry over evil black "assault" weapons is that the outcry comes from individuals who actually think the cops will be there to protect them from harm and the politicians/"intellectuals" that know the Bill of Rights is the only thing preventing them from taking over the country.

Then there is the quaint notion bandied about that  the armed citizens that overthrew the English did not need semi-autos so why do you have to have them now? I guess if we were to project that logic to all areas of our lives, well why not I ask, we don't need cars, PC's, smart phones, planes trains and subways. No skyscrapers and no electricity. They did not have those things back then now did they.

Insofar as technology goes those patriotic citizens that helped found this great nation had state of the art weapons for their day to fight with which were the equal, at least, of the British weapons. I especially love the absurdity of the argument that the Revolutionaries did not need a gun that did not even exist in their time to protect themselves so neither do we while they froth at the mouth against guns on the web which I have to say also did not exist back then. I find it also quite amusing how in Hollywood many anti gun activists have armed guards. It's the double standard of whose life is valuable and I happen to think my life is more valuable to me than they do.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-11.xls

Now the link above comes from a somewhat credible source. While other firearms is not defined as to what that means I figure a semi auto rifle is oddly enough a rifle just as it sounds. And in truth if you care to dig, which I do, the FBI includes single shot, semi-automatic, pump action, bolt action and those firearms which are categorized by Democratic lawmakers as “assault weapons” in its “rifles” category.

Knives or cutting instruments were used to kill 1,591 people, the 2017 crime figures show, while 403 were killed with rifles. Hence, people are four times more likely to be stabbed to death than get shot with any kind of rifle.

According to the FBI report, more people were killed annually with “personal weapons” like “hands, fist, feet,” than rifles and shot guns combined.

You can point to those tragedies of "mass" shootings and get all hysterical but in truth arson of nightclubs and fires from fireworks at the same are far more deadly. Ban gas cans and put authorized use only locks on car gas tanks to prevent access to deadly weapons would be my suggestion. The jihadis have proven that vehicles are effective weapons too so  "Ban The Ride".

https://www.bluesheepdog.com/2018/06/27/fbi-report-civilian-firearms-saving-lives/

Moral to the story is if you depend on something like CNNLOL to form an opinion you are being molded not informed.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Skelt said:

IMO a logical aproach to the mass shooting problem would be to eliminate all of the cheap military surplus full metal jacket ammunition. If 5.56 ammo cost $20-25 for a box of 20 like other calibers people would be less likely to stockpile  thousands of rounds.

Bad approach, I'm guessing you have no experience with guns in general. FMJ rounds are friendly rounds, lead tipped and hollow points, not so much. 

Get's old watching politicians grab at anything then trying to rationalize their actions or approach, their proposals do nothing to stop the bad guys from getting guns and killing people. You need only research gun violence within the City's and States that enforce the strictest gun ownership laws in the nation..... I think you'll find they're also the City's and States with the highest incidences of gun violence.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Bad approach, I'm guessing you have no experience with guns in general. FMJ rounds are friendly rounds, lead tipped and hollow points, not so much.............

FMJ rounds may be more barrel friendly and range/environmentally friendly but not really very victim friendly.  More of a target or practice round but they will still kill, granted not as violently (decisively) as hollow points or RIPs.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Meh I own a handgun so perhaps I'm part of the problem . But high capacity magazines in something that only exists only to MURDER people is reprehensible .

Define high capacity and why you think Joe American shouldn't be allowed to own one.

BOOM

2nd Amendment 

Not applicable now a days .

True, no threat of a British invasion, but that's not the reason for the 2nd Amendment, and it's damn sure no reason to surrender or throw away the ability to defend yourself against the reason for the 2nd Amendment.

Do you think we are on the verge of being invaded ? No way that happens in this time period .

When was the last time you drove SH83 or SH277 from the South Texas Valley to De Rio?  When was the last time you drove SH90 or SH 170 from Del Rio to Presidio, TX? You might want to talk to a few ranchers, US Customs Agents, DEA and DHLS employees next time you drive the Texas highways along our southern border. Last I heard, it was the same in New Mexico and Arizona's southern borders.

We have more guns than people . Mass shootings shouldn't take away from your freedom but . I applaud Canada for doing something we should have done almost 40 years ago !

Agree with you second statement and should leave it at that, but what the hell, we allow the actions of 0.0003% of the population to dictate the law to the masses, what's one more loss of freedom, what's one more useless law that hurts Americans and/or puts them in danger or potential risk.

And while I see the rationalization for the approach you propose, I can't for the life of me see the effectiveness of instituting another gun law that won't work.

Forty years ago today,  guns were just as prevalent and more accessible, yet 40 yrs ago there were no mass shootings. I suggest the root of the problem has nothing to do with guns, gun-clips or ammo. Might I suggest you direct your focus and attention toward items that didn't exist 40 yrs. ago; for example, gun violent video games, sniper games, Hollywood gun-loving shoot'em up movies and poor parenting?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sputnik said:

FMJ rounds may be more barrel friendly and range/environmentally friendly but not really very victim friendly.  More of a target or practice round but they will still kill, granted not as violently (decisively) as hollow points or RIPs.

My 2 cents worth......    I don't think FMJ's are barrel friendly, lead is a whole lot easier to clean and remove than copper......   I think an LA, Chicago or NY ER doctor would be better able to explain the differences between various types of bullets, none of which I would not want to get shot with, but do have significant experience. Trust me, FMJ's are as friendly a round as you will ever encounter, banning them is just another ineffective feel good law that fails to identify, let along address the problem.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Forty years ago today,  guns were just as prevalent and more accessible, yet 40 yrs ago there were no mass shootings. I suggest the root of the problem has nothing to do with guns, gun-clips or ammo. Might I suggest you direct your focus and attention toward items that didn't exist 40 yrs. ago; for example, gun violent video games, sniper games, Hollywood gun-loving shoot'em up movies and poor parenting?

i think you have a good point - violence in general breeds more violence  the loss of values -gun violent video games, sniper games, Hollywood gun-loving shoot'em up movies and poor parenting?----    but if weapons are being used by people who should not own guns , then there has to be a way and will to make sure these people can't get their hands on weapons - something has to be done , mass shootings have to stop -and it has nothing to do with the right to own guns for self-defense -

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

My 2 cents worth......    I don't think FMJ's are barrel friendly, lead is a whole lot easier to clean and remove than copper......   I think an LA, Chicago or NY ER doctor would be better able to explain the differences between various types of bullets, none of which I would not want to get shot with, but do have significant experience. Trust me, FMJ's are as friendly a round as you will ever encounter, banning them is just another ineffective feel good law that fails to identify the problem.

Agree, FMJs are more surgeon friendly.  Also agree re lead vs copper fouling.  Copper fouling in my target rifles affects precision after about 40 rounds or so and is a real PITA to clean (Butch’s Bore Shine is the best solvent I’ve found if you survive the ammonia fumes).  In my experience, what some would consider heavy lead fouling improves accuracy - I rarely clean my .22 competition rifles.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I completely agree but I also think that the popularity and availability of black guns and the spectrum of possible mods enables inexperienced knuckleheads to make the transition from Nintendo hero to societal menace much easier (whether intentionally or not.)  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sputnik said:

I completely agree but I also think that the popularity and availability of black guns and the spectrum of possible mods enables inexperienced knuckleheads to make the transition from Nintendo hero to societal menace much easier (whether intentionally or not.)  

I personally remember one hell of a lot more AR-15s in the Gun Shops in the early to mid 1970's than I see today....

3 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

I personally remember one hell of a lot more AR-15s in the Gun Shops in the early to mid 1970's than I see today....

I’m not doubting you, but it’s just the opposite from my recollection.  Sure seems like there’s a lot more of them at the range these days - practically all you see anymore unless it’s near hunting season.

7 minutes ago, sputnik said:

I’m not doubting you, but it’s just the opposite from my recollection.  Sure seems like there’s a lot more of them at the range these days - practically all you see anymore unless it’s near hunting season.

I would suspect you do not live in a rural area. As I stated way back, they were cheap, about 200 even back in the 70's and we used them on the farms for livestock protection from Feral Dog Packs, Ground Hogs and even Fox. We would have laughed our butts off at you back then if you said you saw a Coyote back then...  :D

Also used these days for Fox, Groundhog, and pushing Coyotes and alot more can be done to accurize an AR these days than back then... 

My best friend the farmer who farms 4,500 acres and has a 400,000 Chicken egg farm has a $4,500 custom AR-10 chambered in .22-250 !!

Roger

Just now, twistedcrankcammer said:

I would suspect you do not live in a rural area. As I stated way back, they were cheap, about 200 even back in the 70's and we used them on the farms for livestock protection from Feral Dog Packs, Ground Hogs and even Fox. We would have laughed our butts off at you back then if you said you saw a Coyote back then...  :D

Roger

And I would suspect that Montana is helluva lot more rural than Ohio. 🤔

1 minute ago, sputnik said:

And I would suspect that Montana is helluva lot more rural than Ohio. 🤔

I would suspect that depends where you live.... I grew up on a 1,250 acre farm and since there are 640 acres in one square mile, that is pretty close to 2 square miles. How many acres do you own and is your closest neighbor about a half mile away ??

Roger