Tropical Storm Arthur/Amanda/Cristobal

billybob

It’s still early in the season so hopefully we won’t be seeing these get whipped up into massive hurricanes. I remember Andrew back in the day as a kid- and even with all the crazy devestation it was some of the most amazing beautiful skylines I can remember. Been through a bunch o’ ‘canes. I guess the most interesting one was right after college- I had moved to the Houston area- pearland at first then Dickenson. Was mandatorily evacuated b/c of Rita- this was right after Katrina devastated NOLA. Spent 20 hours locked In traffic on I10 until some locals showed us a back stretch of roads to take to get to open state highways that could get me to fort Polk. (They only allowed east west traffic blocked all north south flow it was a cluster****) Finally made it to my moms just southwest of Alexandria La. Well wouldn’t you know it ol Rita that B**** never hit Galveston or Houston. Nope- went straight up Lake Charles made a straight run to my moms and dropped a tree on the house. Power was out for a week (why us Cajuns gots us a bunch o genies) And I couldn’t get back home b/c of fuel shortages. No station had fuel around the area for days and the little I could get here and there on my 26 hour journey that usually took 3 hours was wasted idling and detouring and backtracking trying to find a way around the stalled out interstate. And that Camaro drank the fuel I tell ya. It was a mess I guarantee. 

-Rooster

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hear you Rooster!

Saw my nephew's nice black car that was in Homestead for the duration of Andrew. The rear glass was gone, just sucked away. Looked like it had been sandblasted... and suppose it was. Yes, seen a few...

14 minutes ago, Rooster42 said:

It’s still early in the season so hopefully we won’t be seeing these get whipped up into massive hurricanes. I remember Andrew back in the day as a kid- and even with all the crazy devestation it was some of the most amazing beautiful skylines I can remember. Been through a bunch o’ ‘canes. I guess the most interesting one was right after college- I had moved to the Houston area- pearland at first then Dickenson. Was mandatorily evacuated b/c of Rita- this was right after Katrina devastated NOLA. Spent 20 hours locked In traffic on I10 until some locals showed us a back stretch of roads to take to get to open state highways that could get me to fort Polk. (They only allowed east west traffic blocked all north south flow it was a cluster****) Finally made it to my moms just southwest of Alexandria La. Well wouldn’t you know it ol Rita that B**** never hit Galveston or Houston. Nope- went straight up Lake Charles made a straight run to my moms and dropped a tree on the house. Power was out for a week (why us Cajuns gots us a bunch o genies) And I couldn’t get back home b/c of fuel shortages. No station had fuel around the area for days and the little I could get here and there on my 26 hour journey that usually took 3 hours was wasted idling and detouring and backtracking trying to find a way around the stalled out interstate. And that Camaro drank the fuel I tell ya. It was a mess I guarantee. 

-Rooster

I was living in Beaumont TX at the time (still am).  The roads were a cluster****.  The interstates were littered with vehicles that ran out of gas and were abandoned.  We had an evacuation but I ended up staying.  We were without power for 8 days.

• Sad 1

Yeah it was crazy, I was caravanning with my aunt and uncle and some of our extended family on my uncles side. Lucky for us we had some gas cans in the back of one of the trucks or my Camaro would have been one of those vehicles. We were also lucky enough to talk to some locals between Pasadena and Beaumont that took us down some back roads (literally dirt backroads) found a lil country store that still had fuel and was able to refuel head north and hop over to fort polk. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Rooster42 said:

It’s still early in the season so hopefully we won’t be seeing these get whipped up into massive hurricanes.

That would be nice, rain is great, things flying in the wind is not fun. Hope it just stays  rain or a 1 at most.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dtel said:

That would be nice, rain is great, things flying in the wind is not fun. Hope it just stays  rain or a 1 at most.

Gotcha at that- like I said-been through my share o’ canes spending the majority of my life in Louisiana. 60, 80, 100mph winds destroy things quick. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Like the comedian Ron White says, " it's not THAT the wind is blowing, it's what the wind is blowing", " If you get hit with a Volvo it makes no difference how many sit ups you did that morning".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, billybob said:

Looks like I'm in the clear even though predictions this far out aren't entirely accurate.  Once it gets to T minus 3 days they're almost always spot on.  Even if it moves west, we'll still be on the clean side.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like I'm in the clear even though predictions this far out aren't entirely accurate.  Once it gets to T minus 3 days they're almost always spot on.  Even if it moves west, we'll still be on the clean side.

Yes they said that their hurricane

person of 43 years doing the 

prediction. Seems to think it will head north. Mentioned Texas to Florida. Agree that closer the event

then we can know where. Maybe a hurricane before landfall. Be safe.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, billybob said:

Maybe a hurricane before landfall.

Hey, hey don't be talking like that I got things to get done. :lol:

Who knows, at the point of it being all the way across the gulf no one knows.

There guess right now.

204147_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• Like 2

Yes, I'm a little early. Think you will have enough time to work and relax. Then, have more time again.

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

Hey, hey don't be talking like that I got things to get done. :lol:

Who knows, at the point of it being all the way across the gulf no one knows.

There guess right now.

204147_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Cheers...thanks for the noaa map.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, billybob said:

Cheers...thanks for the noaa map.

They have a good website

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=30.525752900000043&lon=-89.67892289999998#.Xtl1nEVKiUl

Go there put in your zip code when it comes up just bookmark to always easily check the weather where your at, I do the same for radar here to easily check.

At the bar at the top says Forecast, click it and then click under hurricanes and it gives all the info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like it'll pretty much be a rain event and if it doesn't stall it won't be bad at all.  Winds won't be horrible.

True as long as just keeps moving. 

Looking forward to the rain for a few days, looks like even the early prediction is 6-10 inches of rain here and a 90% chance of 39 mph winds, if that's it, it would be like a bad summer thunderstorm but over a couple days. :emotion-21:

024118WPCQPF_sm.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Looking forward to the rain for a few days, looks like even the early prediction is 6-10 inches of rain here

Just got back from working down in South Florida and stayed at my friend's house in Hobe Sound.  Parts of the county near his house on Wednesday got 11 to 12 inches of rain and it was not directly caused by Cristobol.  Crazy localized flooding.  His home is at the top of the hill in the top photo.

Colby Besaw, of Hobe Sound, carries personal belongings  while salvaging items from his home that had 3 to 4 inches of flood water damage on Southeast James Street in the Hobe Heights neighborhood on Friday June 5, 2020, in Hobe Sound. Several homes flooded in the area caused by the heavy rainfall this week. "I spent the last three years remodeling it and this happens," said Besaw. "I already gutted the house and now I'm just waiting for the water to recede."

Up to 6 inches of rain fell on Martin County the morning of Wednesday, June 3, 2020, flooding The Home Deport parking lot in Stuart. The National Weather Service issued a flood watch for a portion of east Central Florida through Saturday afternoon.

Bill

• Like 1