Pictures of your Tube Amplifiers

henry4841

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 3:53 PM, seti said:

I know about the new one but I love the asthetics of the Trumpet. I love the construction and shielding... Good stuff.... Great score....

@setiand @joessportster

I cannot argue with the sonic qualities of the Trumpet because I haven't heard it, but to me, visually and as for the design, it doesn't make sense at all and breaks every rule of the book: the tubes are upside down (heat rising up, right?), the top-level is crammed, and as someone posted, just 1/16 inch of movement will result in a hum, while  the mid tier is almost barren, with plenty of room vacant. But the proof is in the pudding, they say...

Enlighten me, please!

5 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

@setiand @joessportster

I cannot argue with the sonic qualities of the Trumpet because I haven't heard it, but to me, visually and as for the design, it doesn't make sense at all and breaks every rule of the book: the tubes are upside down (heat rising up, right?), the top-level is crammed, and as someone posted, just 1/16 inch of movement will result in a hum, while  the mid tier is almost barren, with plenty of room vacant. But the proof is in the pudding, they say...

Enlighten me, please!

You are looking at a pic I posted to simply show the inside. The unit was upside down on purpose,  Any piece of gear that has something come in contact with the power transformer has a potential to have a MECHANICAL HUM, that piece was re-positioned, Hum Gone. I dont do review speak but you can check the web and there are several reviews of the Trumpet, It resides in some systems costing 100K and up (IOW.... people that can afford any phono stage bought and use the Trumpet, that alone speaks volumes to me) I personally compared the Trumpet to SEVERAL 5000.00 and below Phono Stages, we used Stevens and Billington TX 103 both silver and copper versions along with several MC cartridges in the 1.5 to 5 k arena My table was a Maplenoll Ariedna sig version with air arm and a 70 pound lead platter, My friends table was a La Luce SPJ. Between the 2 of us we tested a dozen at least and without fault the trumpet sounded better. I could care less about the odd appearance. What ever Jim Hagerman did, he did it right IMHO

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, joessportster said:

You are looking at a pic I posted to simply show the inside. The unit was upside down on purpose,  Any piece of gear that has something come in contact with the power transformer has a potential to have a MECHANICAL HUM, that piece was re-positioned, Hum Gone. I dont do review speak but you can check the web and there are several reviews of the Trumpet, It resides in some systems costing 100K and up (IOW.... people that can afford any phono stage bought and use the Trumpet, that alone speaks volumes to me) I personally compared the Trumpet to SEVERAL 5000.00 and below Phono Stages, we used Stevens and Billington TX 103 both silver and copper versions along with several MC cartridges in the 1.5 to 5 k arena My table was a Maplenoll Ariedna sig version with air arm and a 70 pound lead platter, My friends table was a La Luce SPJ. Between the 2 of us we tested a dozen at least and without fault the trumpet sounded better. I could care less about the odd appearance. What ever Jim Hagerman did, he did it right IMHO

No hostility intended, sir! Now that you explained that the amp is upside down, it makes a bit more sense. 😁

On 12/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, joessportster said:

To Preface. When I first got the Trumpet I had a loud mechanical hum / buzzing it could be heard across the room. I emailed back and forth with Jim Hagerman (He is great like that) after some looking 2 of the smaller transformers had shifted in shipping like 1/16 of an inch, Just enough that there mount tabs were resting against the main power transformer. I loosened the 2 mounting screws on each forced them back into place tightened them down and now no more mechanical hum nor any noise for that matter. 

10 - 15 years ago when I had a Edgar Horn Titan setup with an air bearing TT and arm,  My Neighbor had a 40,000.00 SPJ Laluce turntable we both did a lot of testing on Phono stages (I had like 10,000 LP and he had around 5000)  Vinyl was our main source. We must have gone through 20 different phono stages and to the last,  NONE could match the sonics of the Trumpet

trum 2.PNG

trum 1.PNG

In fact, of you just look at the number of transformers etc that is crammed inside, the cost of it barely equals the cost the parts. Nothing you'd ever find a commercial brand for that price, if you understand what I mean.. 

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

My Latest addition to the Fold (RIP Don Allen) SEP with 10 WPC KT88 (Think 45, with BALLS )

don-allen-salepics-2.jpg

What do you think of this guy?? I  only ask because I have a huge stash of kt90 tubes and the like.

16 minutes ago, seti said:

What do you think of this guy?? I  only ask because I have a huge stash of kt90 tubes and the like.

Superb Amplifier IMHO, Silky smooth, Dead Quiet, Holographic imaging, Mids are very SET 45 like,  and bass is stout with good definition. I dont keep a lot of gear as you know but I am afraid this is a lifer. I can not see getting a better SET amp.  I have another smaller / lower output KT88 SET amp that can be hauntingly good depending on source material but it does not have the Bass of the Don Allen.  I have a couple pair of 6550 tubes 1 pair of Gold Lion KT88 and a pair of tung sol KT120.....................Always on the look out for more, never heard the KT90

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

In fact, of you just look at the number of transformers etc that is crammed inside, the cost of it barely equals the cost the parts. Nothing you'd ever find a commercial brand for that price, if you understand what I mean.. 

No offense taken here, Just giving my Opinion of the Trumpet, did not intend for it to come off as confrontational. I agree Jim Hagerman did a superb with the Trumpet. He has a new much smaller version