yes i have some amps ... collected during a few years (over 40 years).

I also have Proton AA2120, Hiraga 8W class A Monster (DIY), Yves Cochet AL2 (EL34 PP - a french tube (or valve i do not know how you call it) amp maker).

I tried Topping D Class amp, a little Musical Fidelity, a SAE 2200 power amp, a very old NAD 1020 preamp and some more.

Over 40 years of trying to find the good sound ..

In speakers, i had Onken with Iwata horn - jbl 2440 drivers, jbl 2405 tweeters, Fostex FT90h, T925, FT65, .. B&C drivers, Atlas sound pd-5vh when i tried to make La Scala clones, ect ect ..

now i am trying to have a simple and good working hifi system .. with Cornwall IV speakers, McIntosh amp, an old Sony CDP-X7ESD cd, a little Logitech squeezebox Touch streamer, a Topping dx7s dac that i will not more use when i will receive my McIntosh MA7200 amp.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SpeedLimit said:

yes i have some amps ... collected during a few years (over 40 years).

I also have Proton AA2120, Hiraga 8W class A Monster (DIY), Yves Cochet AL2 (EL34 PP - a french tube (or valve i do not know how you call it) amp maker).

I tried Topping D Class amp, a little Musical Fidelity, a SAE 2200 power amp, a very old NAD 1020 preamp and some more.

Over 40 years of trying to find the good sound ..

In speakers, i had Onken with Iwata horn - jbl 2440 drivers, jbl 2405 tweeters, Fostex FT90h, T925, FT65, .. B&C drivers, Atlas sound pd-5vh when i tried to make La Scala clones, ect ect ..

now i am trying to have a simple and good working hifi system .. with Cornwall IV speakers, McIntosh amp, an old Sony CDP-X7ESD cd, a little Logitech squeezebox Touch streamer, a Topping dx7s dac that i will not more use when i will receive my McIntosh MA7200 amp.

When will your MC amp arrive? Just out of curiosity from where have you ordered, I guess somewhere in the EU? That money you say seems to be a brand new amp?

17 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Essentially they are a Filter ya know Also The HV Supply adds dynamic capabilities

Sir, I do not want to argue for the sake of arguing as you have shown you want to do but it is obvious to me and the other electronic engineers, technicians and geeks on this forum you do not know what you are talking about. Those that understand the basics of tube circuits understand that the high voltage is only necessary for the tube to function. A transistor can do the same with a fraction of the voltage a tube requires and make far more watts.

From previous post of yours about power needs of our speakers I also now know you do not know or understand the function and purpose of an oscilloscope and how it captures signals including transients where they can be seen. I see no purpose to continue discussing electronics with someone who will not listen to reason. A layman's test of power usage of a speaker can be performed with just an AC volt meter using ohms law with no elaborate test as Nelson Pass has done using a scope. I am first to admit I am not an electronic professional only a geek but I do have a basic understanding of electronics building and repairing audio products. I say all of this with no disrespect to you or others that consider the needs of our speakers to be mega watts but the fact is it is just not true. 

I am sure you are well respected in your field and have way more knowledge of that field than I do and I mean no disrespect. I want us to be friends and not adversaries and I hope we can move on from this. 

• Like 1

Different amps have different characteristics, and vary in their sound presentation, clarity, detail retrieval, and so on.  That said, a variety of amps can be said to sound excellent, while all sounding slightly different.  In the same way, there are many different restaurants, all serving different styles of food (different "cuisines").  Which one is best?  Which food is best?  There can be many "very good', some "excellent", and so on.  Best?  Is great French food better than great Japanese food?  That would be impossible to say.

I have not heard Cornwalls, but I can say that La Scalas can sound great when powered with amplifiers putting out anything between 5 and 500 watts per speaker.  The advantage of higher power is that clipping is less likely to become an issue, but depending on your choice of music and listening levels, that may never become an issue, so that factor could be irrelevant to you, while it might be a major concern for another person.  So one can say that there is no best power amplifier for any speaker, just as there is no best speaker, although the Heritage Jubilee would have to be among the very best speakers, of course.

There's no point in insulting each other, because this goes beyond the specs, as I discussed above.  Beyond a certain threshold of sound quality/performance, there is a variety of amps that can be extremely satisfying to listen to.  Can we just agree on that, and quit the sniping at each other?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Islander said:

There's no point in insulting each other, because this goes beyond the specs, as I discussed above.  Beyond a certain threshold of sound quality/performance, there is a variety of amps that can be extremely satisfying to listen to.  Can we just agree on that, and quit the sniping at each other?

Should we as a forum let untruths be propagated without facts? Should we allow fallacies to stand without someone speaking up? I did not mean to insult or snipe at anyone this morning and I am sorry if you see it that way. I am just stating truths which knowledgeable people understand disagreeing with people that speak otherwise. I have around 25 working amplifiers and many more old receivers at the present time and I assure you all sound different from each other if one is able to hear the differences. But this has nothing to do with the discussion of power usage of our Klipsch speakers. If someone does not believe facts and figures from those that know and understand electronics I do not know what more to say so if the majority want me to be quite I can certainly not say anymore and let this forum believe what they want and stick to technical forums where truth is important. Easy to prove truths in electronics because untruths will just not work no matter what one says. 

1 minute ago, Islander said:

Henry, am I correct in understanding that you feel that there's an optimum power availability for a given speaker, and any other power level is inferior?

Ridiculous question. I see how this is going to go. If you and others believe only 200 watts are needed for our speakers get it. This means anyone who spends $25K for a Japanese SET 300b amp is wasting their money because there are no speakers they could be used on if our horns needs way more power than the 6 or 7 watts a SET 300B makes. What speaker do you think such an amp could be use on if it will not be enough power for 100db speakers?

This thread on power usage has got ridiculous with those that cannot understand simple electronics. 

Please, no fight ..

I only asked what amp for my CW IV.

I have tried some, and each are different .. Valve amp or SS.

It's a reality that our  klipsch speakers do not need much power (because of a high efficiency) but sometimes, woofer (15 inch) need a little more power that some tubes (valves) can give. It's my opinion. I have tried SE 300B amp, push Pull EL34, those amp i have are not enough powered or better said, do not go to wide in the bass frequencies ..

My integrated amp Audio Analogue Maestro Grand integre drive the CW iV much better.

If i ordered a McIntosh MA7200, it's also to see the two big blue eyes and to test my first McIntosh .. I have listen here and there that Mc amps work fine with Klipsch speaker. I think, it can't be so much people that make bad experience with Mc Amps .. they are not all liers ..

But please, no fight. Everybody has it's own ears .. and we do not all like the same sounds ..

Someone i know has CW III with Air Tight tube amp, and another with KT88 Jolida, and it sound very good ..

• Like 1

My Chorus II are not designed to be bi-amped from the factory. Those Cornwall's have the ability to put a nice sounding 5 watt tuber on the top and a nice 500 watt solid stater on that big ole woofer.

I have found it is my woofers in my Chorus that loves the watts. So I have found in my years of searching a pair of amps that sound great on my horns and able to take complete control of my woofers.

This is a great forum and it really doesn't need polluted with personal attacks on amplifier preference. I am sure I would enjoy listening to every forum members systems. We all put a lot of time and effort into what we feel sounds best in our environments and preferences in music. 

I prefer classic, hard, progressive rock and heavy metal. Quite a few of those recordings have much to be desired and I probably listen a bit too loud sometimes.🙂

Give me 5 great watts for my horns, 500 watts for my woofers and 1000 watts for my subs.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Ridiculous question. I see how this is going to go. If you and others believe only 200 watts are needed for our speakers get it. This means anyone who spends $25K for a Japanese SET 300b amp is wasting their money because there are no speakers they could be used on if our horns needs way more power than the 6 or 7 watts a SET 300B makes. What speaker do you think such an amp could be use on if it will not be enough power for 100db speakers?

This thread on power usage has got ridiculous with those that cannot understand simple electronics. 

Ridiculous question?   Okay, maybe the power range I suggested was too narrow.  Should I have said 2 watts to 200 watts?  I never mentioned price, but for $25k you can get a variety of fine-sounding amps.  I wouldn't tell anyone they were wasting their money, if their component or system makes them happy.  People who have a sound bar under their TV for music listening either can't believe their ears or think I'm insane when I reply to their question about the price of my system.

So do you consider a certain power output to be optimum when powering very sensitive speakers?  Maybe I got here late or am about to fall asleep, so please keep it simple.

Almost forgot.  Sometimes sound quality comes first, and power is less important to the purchaser, like myself for example.  I really like the clarity and detail retrieval abilities of my amplifiers (my LS2s are bi-amped), and the power was less important, because I very rarely listen at levels you can't talk over (65-85 dB).  However, my amps are, or were, Yamaha's statement amps, so they were designed to power any speaker, no matter how high or low their sensitivity might, and to be able to produce concert-level sound if required, with any speakers.  Accordingly, I don't see the watts I don't use to be a waste of money, because the amps help the speakers sound great at any volume, from whisper to fff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

It's a reality that our  klipsch speakers do not need much power (because of a high efficiency) but sometimes, woofer (15 inch) need a little more power that some tubes (valves) can give. It's my opinion. I have tried SE 300B amp, push Pull EL34, those amp i have are not enough powered or better said, do not go to wide in the bass frequencies ..

The last thing I need is arguments on a social forum. It is not the power need that makes a SS amplifier better in the bass dept but the design inherent in a SET tube amplifier. I assure you that power is not what is making bass sound better with a SS PP amplifier. But I have yet to find a SS amplifier with the vocals and mids that is as good as a SET amplifier. As PWK said, music lives in the mids. But if one considers bass as more important they should stick with a PP SS AB amplifier or better yet a class D amplifier. I have two class D amplifiers that make the best bass I have ever heard along with decent mids and highs as well. Both are stated as 200 watts per channel as well.