Have you moved to Dolby Atmos?

Zen Traveler

How many have made the move to Dolby Atmos?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How many have made the move to Dolby Atmos?

• I have!
    • I'm still enjoying the other codex. :)
    • I'm waiting for my processor to go kaput before I do.
    • I tried it and it wasn't for me.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/15/20 at 06:05 AM

Moving to Dolby Atmos in a 7.2.2 configuration with in-ceiling speakers for the heights was totally worth it! I mostly buy Blue-Ray disks for the good action type movies, and stream the movies that are not action or "Big Sound" focused. Any movies that don't have a Dolby Atmos sound track, I run through the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) and get impressive results that way. I also watch TV shows, YouTube and listen to music through the Dolby upmixer. For music I turn center spread on though...

4 hours ago, AndreG. said:

and i´m content with my 5.1 system

I'm with our friend from Germany, Andre ^^^.

I have a Marantz 6011 AVR which can process 11 channels and an Emotiva XPA-5 200 wpc amp to go with it but 5.2 is all I need.  I am experimenting with Front Height speakers which are not Atmos  and they sound OK but don't really add a whole lot.

I could easily live with 3.1.

+++

I only have a TV, a 2018 Vizio P-65Q.  Great picture but lousy sound.  I've got the sound part covered. :cool:

10 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

My receiver doesn't even have hdmi. 

I can't argue that movies/multichannel music can't be appreciated in (almost) their full extent  without HDMI but it definitely makes things easier to connect, although you will have a box full of cords that you'll marvel at how much they cost and what are you going to do with them now. :o At least that was me. We had 3 multichannel HTs with 6 RCA cable each for Hi-rez audio alone. Then came the 2 other digital connections for audio cables, along with several variations of video that all became useless with the advent of HDMI...

All that said, I remember the smile that came to my face 20 years ago when I put my first system together and that was when I first experienced nirvana. 😎

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AndreG. said:

I can´t put up atmos speakers and i´m content with my 5.1 system, also i´m not really sure about the "added value" 😉. Besides, there´s other gear i would want to buy first.

Thanks for joining the discussion. Fwiw, I started a 6 week camping trip in Europe by flying into Tegel Airport and then making my way to Camp Kladow , where I pitched my Northface tadpole and toured Berlin for a week in April 1993--You have an AMAZING city. :) Insofar as added value and purchasing other gear those are definite considerations and good luck as you advance getting what you want and enjoy.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I could easily live with 3.1.

Not me. No way!

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I only have a TV, a 2018 Vizio P-65Q.  Great picture but lousy sound.  I've got the sound part covered. :cool:

Hmm. For watching TV and Youtube I'm satisfied with the Vizio listed in my sig sound, but definitely not for movies and multichannel music...That said, my guess most people who aren't on the Klipsch forum experience movies with tv sound and hardly any listen to multichannel music. Btw, hope you are doing well and I miss our conversations at the other place. ;) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Any movies that don't have a Dolby Atmos sound track, I run through the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) and get impressive results that way.

The upconversion of multichannel music using DSU is what intrigues me the most given how good the results are in our 9.2 HT using Dolby PLIIz. 

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

The upconversion of multichannel music using DSU is what intrigues me the most given how good the results are in our 9.2 HT using Dolby PLIIz. 

It's certainly a worthy upgrade in my opinion. I should also point out for those that aren't aware, that you don't need to have the overhead height speakers to enjoy the benefits of the DSU or Dolby Atmos. If you have a Dolby Atmos capable receiver (or upgrade to one), you would still be enjoying many of the benefits that Dolby Atmos and the much improved DSU bring to the table on your 9.2 or even a 5.1 or 7.1 channel system.

• Like 1

I'm still stuck with my Harman 7550HD.

As soon as I find an AVR or PRE/PRO in a "normal" pricerange, I would love to switch.

The closest one was the Lexicon RV-6, but as the Loudness (Dolby Volume) isn't usable together with Dirac, it was also not a real option for me.

And I need some sort of Loudness, as I'm living in an apartment with my family. That means no dedicated room for the home-cinema what results in

different listening levels, depending on the daily situation.

With Dirac in the RV-6 I could adjust the sound how I like it for just a short volume range.

That means, if everything was fine on low volumes, then on higher volumes it was just too much bass and reversed if I adjusted it for louder levels.

That's where a parametric loudness is very usable...

4 hours ago, stoka said:

As soon as I find an AVR or PRE/PRO in a "normal" pricerange, I would love to switch.

I purchased our Denon AVR-4311ci about 8 or 9 years ago when it was discontinued at a good price. I actually can't justify spending any money right now (given I have several AVRs including the one mentioned) and will only upgrade when it goes bites the dust. When I do I'll probably go with a recently discontinued upperend Denon as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Btw, hope you are doing well and I miss our conversations at the other place. ;) 

Yeah, me too.  I like your passion and the fact that you are well educated and informed on the issues of the day.  You can't ask for much more than that.  👍

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stoka said:

I'm with you.

The manufacturers are coming out with 8K in their AVR's.  Hopefully that will put some lightly used high end AVR's on the pre-owned market at decent prices.  Used AVR's tend to fall steeply in price but a good pre-pro holds its value a little better.

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

For those saying they still enjoy the old, pre-Atmos format--When your current processor dies will you upgrade or buys something similar to what you already have?

Probably similar to what I already have.

• Like 1

I added Dolby Atmos a number of years ago - when Gravity came out on 4K BluRay.

I only have Atmos speakers in front on top of the RF7ii.

I can't say that it adds much. In this configuration it seems a lot like stereo - I have to be in the sweet spot to get the best out of it.

• Like 1