Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

24 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The thing is, everyone's a cynic until they need help.  Then they discover there really are good people that save their lives.

I guess that depends on what you think makes a person "good."  I think we're all bad, sometimes we do good deeds though. I don't believe in altruism.  Many good deeds are done for selfish reasons. Not going to overthink every person's actions, but overall I think people are more selfish than not and I think selfishness is evil. 

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

I guess that depends on what you think makes a person "good."  I think we're all bad, sometimes we do good deeds though. I don't believe in altruism.  Many good deeds are done for selfish reasons. Not going to overthink every person's actions, but overall I think people are more selfish than not and I think selfishness is evil. 

Try and think some more then stew.  The implications of what you just said logically conclude that good deeds are evil.  Some people philosophize without grasping philosophy.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Try and think some more then stew.  The implications of what you just said logically conclude that good deeds are evil.  Some people philosophize without grasping philosophy.

you rethink that ... it does not conclude that at all. I won't argue with you that the motives are evil ... that's is exactly what I'm saying (for most cases), the result of their selfish act is an entirely different thing. but thanks for the insult anyway.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Anybody here actually know anybody with this? We have 60K people in the county where I live and not a single confirmed case yet.

Yes, I know one presumption positive in Central Texas and two in close contact with confirmed positive. 

Keep seeing that question on Facebook and can't figure it out. Are they suggesting it only happens to "other people" or "those people"?

I really don't want to know anymore beyond that.

Just now, BigStewMan said:

I guess you've got it all figured out. create your own reality and call it good if that's what you want just don't be surprised when someone disagrees. 

Not figured out.  Not my own either.  However we do all have our own empirical evidence from experience.  Of course I am not surprised about disagreements, that's what makes it fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

However we do all have our own empirical evidence from experience.

except I was talking about the motives behind a person's actions ... I don't think anyone has empirical evidence of another's motives.  

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Exactly! So you have no idea!  C'mon man.

C'mon what?  That's why I said that is what I THINK.  my observations, your observations OFTEN just form opinion not facts--sometimes we're right, sometimes not.  This entire conversation is based on my opinion of something.  I don't think your personal empirical evidence can invalidate my opinion -- just forms your own. 

Dude, you're a step closer to moderator now. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I was just at the grocery store, for the second day in a row.  Just a few items for me, I have always had plenty backup on hand from taking advantage of sales and close outs.  People are inherently OK, at least Americans are, or maybe I have to limit it to Texans, or since Carl begs to differ, north central Texans.  People are stocking up for sure, but there has been no rudeness or altercations.  The cynics seem to be from places where people must really suck.  I am sorry you have chosen to live in such places.

Same here as far as I can tell.  Maybe for 5% of the population, they actually encounter bad behavior.  Then, 75% who didn't encounter it react to news of it and start judging.  Kind of like they're just looking for a reason...

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

C'mon what?  That's why I said that is what I THINK.  my observations, your observations OFTEN just form opinion not facts--sometimes we're right, sometimes not.  This entire conversation is based on my opinion of something.  I don't think your personal empirical evidence can invalidate my opinion -- just forms your own. 

Dude, you're a step closer to moderator now. 

Then don't be surprised if someone disagrees?  :lofr:    :gotcha: