Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

43 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

saving lives above all else is the priority. we'll adjust to the economic hardship as we go along. 

I took "products liability" law in law school.  It was a very interesting course because it exposed in great depth the bargains we make with people's lives every day.  "Life is priceless?"  Not!

• Like 1

It's really interesting to see the world try to put its hands around this outbreak.  We have all sorts of statistics, but nothing we have enables us to predict where this is going.  For example, the more testing you have, the more cases you find.  This does not mean the contagion is spreading.  It means it is being detected.

16 minutes ago, Seadog said:

This is the same as the initial response from Iran.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It is!  Do you think these people - all of them - should be arrested and sequestered?

Not arrested.  Let them heal each other through their faith, but they should all stay together and be sequestered. 

If they want to assume this risk, they can do so, but don't spread it to others, and if they get sick, don't go to the hospital, they already chose their cure.  The Hospitals are short on PPE and ventilators, these people should not get them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's really interesting to see the world try to put its hands around this outbreak.  We have all sorts of statistics, but nothing we have enables us to predict where this is going.  For example, the more testing you have, the more cases you find.  This does not mean the contagion is spreading.  It means it is being detected.

Not true. Pandemics can be modeled just like everything else. I posted a link to a video a page or two back that shows how it is done.

We have all sorts of statistics, but nothing we have enables us to predict where this is going. 

Uh, watch foreign news.  Actually, just see what is happening in New York right now.  In one of my first posts I said "We are not exceptional or special and this will happen to us."  I don't have a crystal ball, just an internet connection. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It is!  Do you think these people - all of them - should be arrested and sequestered?

Apparently, this is why shelter in place orders need to be mandated, with penalties for ignoring the orders.

2 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Uh, watch foreign news.  Actually, just see what is happening in New York right now.  In one of my first posts I said "We are not exceptional or special and this will happen to us."  I don't have a crystal ball, just an internet connection. 

So, Italy has 2x the deaths as Hubei Province, where the outbreak originated.  Hubei is not a good predictor for Italy.  Is Italy a good predictor for the US?  Is New York a good predictor for Houston?

6 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I can't say I disagree.  It's quite an interesting issue concerning, among other issues, what "separation of church and state" entails.

I guess they missed the part that says "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." 

True.  I watched your video.  Watch it again.  The model leaves room for lots of speculation.

Population density is certainly a big factor, as well as action types. 

Cool that you watched it. Most don't spend the time to get into the weeds.

Just now, Jeff Matthews said:

So, Italy has 2x the deaths as Hubei Province, where the outbreak originated.  Hubei is not a good predictor for Italy.  Is Italy a good predictor for the US?  Is New York a good predictor for Houston?

Yes, they are all good predictors.  Hubei shows what happens when you have a delayed, but strict response.  Italy shows what happens when you have a late and mediocre response.  The USA is handling this just like Italy.

Taiwan shows what happens when you prepare in advance and when it occurs, you go through your carefully prepared protocols that are already in place. 

• Like 3