New Forte iii’s in my life

Last Lemming

Just stopping by to say hello, as I am a owner of a pair of new Forte III’s.

I have several options for amplification

1. BAT preamp (tube) with Parasound A21 (SS) 200+ watts per channel

2. BAT preamp (tube) with vintage CJ MF 2100 amp (SS) 10p watts per channel

3. Decware integrated 6 watts per channel

any thoughts appreciated, but I will try all eventually.

oh, and Vinyl is my source, mostly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Last Lemming said:

I have several options for amplification

Welcome to the Forum! 

It it were me, I would start with the Decware, and then the CJ combo.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on some fine speakers.

I’m not a fan of BAT preamps, having owned two. They are ok, but not in my top ten. I like the thought of a Decware integrated but I would look at one of the Torii amps which have 25 watts on tap. I used one with khorns and it was a great match. 

For me it would have to be something with at least 20 watts, maybe more depending on the size of your room and listening habits.

11 hours ago, Last Lemming said:

you need power -----1. BAT preamp (tube) with Parasound A21 (SS) 200+ watts per channel

• Like 1

I think BAT preamps are ok, but there are far better options for equal or less money. I had a VK 3i in the mid 90s and later a VK 30 (the 3i was better to my ears). They are just not very involving, more to the clinical side for my taste. If budget is a concern, I recommend a good passive like a TVC or LDR (Tortuga Audio).

Shakey

18 minutes ago, Last Lemming said:

Other than Decware, what 20w tube amps work say $1500 new or used. 

It is very odd that you are ruling out SS amps or receivers , one thing you are forgetting is that Forte III speakers like powerful amps -

I have heard forte IIIs with 18 watts of Line Magnetic power and a 150 watt VTL amp. Both sounded extremely good. I see no need to venture down the SS path unless you just aren’t comfortable with tubes. You surely won’t buy a SS amp because it sounds better than a tube amp.

Shakey

• Like 1

Check out something from Cayin perhaps.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649529309-cayin-a50t-integrated-tube-amplifier/

As well, Primaluna and Jolida.

A few things on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=cayin+tube+integrated&_sacat=0

Check out this thread for more ideas.

• Like 1

I haven’t ruled out SS, in fact that is what I have hooked up right now. 

I’ve also hooked up my Decware integrated with 6 watts and it doesn’t sound as good to me as the SS amp, but there could be any number of things causing that, power being one thing to consider. 

I do have an audio research Classic 60 tube amp but that goes to my other system so I don’t want to pull it since I can’t keep in hooked up to the Forte’s

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Last Lemming said:

I haven’t ruled out SS, in fact that is what I have hooked up right now. 

I’ve also hooked up my Decware integrated with 6 watts and it doesn’t sound as good to me as the SS amp, but there could be any number of things causing that, power being one thing to consider. 

I do have an audio research Classic 60 tube amp but that goes to my other system so I don’t want to pull it since I can’t keep in hooked up to the Forte’s

One of many choices

They sell direct so multiply times 3 compared to many other options

Owner is the designer and managing director

Someone on the board unpacked their 20W Class A Schiit a few days ago

$799, check the site but I think this guy is satisfaction guaranteed

Owner designer cut his teeth designing for big name amp companies before he went solo.

The $699-899 DACs get high praise

Contact them and tell them the speakers you want to drive, and see what they say.

I sent an e-mail a few years ago and received  a response from the owner in about 15 minutes.

Power Output:

Stereo, 8 Ohms: 20W RMS per channel 
Stereo, 4 Ohms: 40W RMS per channel
Mono, 8 ohms: 80W RMS 

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB

THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 20W RMS into 8 ohms 
IMD: <0.01%, CCIR, at 20W RMS into 8 ohms

SNR: >112db, A-weighted, referenced to full output 

Damping Factor: >100 into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz

Gain: 12 (22dB)

Input Sensitivity: AKA Rated Output (Vrms)/Rated Gain. Or, 14.3/12. You do the math.

Input Impedance: 22k ohms SE, 44k ohms balanced

Crosstalk: >95dB, 20-20kHz

Inputs: L/R RCA jacks for stereo input, single XLR for mono input

Topology: Fully complementary, all-BJT, current feedback, no coupling capacitors or DC servos with Continuity™ constant transconductance output stage

Oversight: microprocessor-controlled monitoring and management of critical operational points, including DC offset, with standby mode and relay shut-down for overcurrent, thermal, and other faults

Power Supply: 600VA transformer with dual mono main rails, plus boosted, regulated supply to input, voltage gain and driver stages, plus separate, isolated and regulated rails for microprocessor management. 

Power Consumption: 450W maximum 

Size: 9” x 13” x 3.875”

• Moderators
1 hour ago, moray james said:

the Forte lll was voiced on SS amplifiers I think that is significant and not to be ignored.

Every Heritage speaker is voiced on SS Commercial amplifiers with AES pink noise. Roy goes back in with some actual music, tracks embedded in his brain do deep that he knows them nearly bit by bit, and those are just for minor for minor, minor tweaking if they even need that at all, so I don't think that plays much into it. Some on here,, will say that the the Freq. vs. impedance curve is going to play much more of a factor in how/why something is going to sound better with PP, or SET, etc. That is way, way beyond me.

I have heard them in the lab on decent commercial amps, they sounded great, I have heard them on good tube amps at RMAF, again awesome but with a distinctive difference. Too many variables to know if I had a preference for my ears, and I have no idea what power they were eating up for the volume they were putting out. 

I think a lot is going to come down to personal taste.