Altec 19 vs La Scala

5ow

14 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

here's the monitor version

I have a good friend in Phoenix that has a set of those and has had them for close to 30 years now.  Those things are the shiznit and love being played on a big Mac 2300.  We tripped a house breaker one night jamming, maybe 1996 or so, and that amp was just coasting.  I still remember it to this day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

the Altec 19 was not marketed or sold as a studio monitor but it's that good   , HIFI Engine lists the Model 19 as a Studio Monitor  

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/altec-lansing/19.shtml

And Wendy (Walter) Carlos used Cornwalls hanging from chains in her studio. That means nothing. For a while certain engineers/producers liked Yamaha NS10s, too.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Are you done muddying the waters yet? They were a great speaker, a coworker of mine had a pair or them in the mid '70s. I still remember them.

That’s there’s funny. Ain’t a speaker he’s not an expert on. I heard rumor that prior to the passing of James B Lansing he had the foresight to name his famous tweeter “001”. Coincidence, I think not - 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, richieb said:

That’s there’s funny. Ain’t a speaker he’s not an expert on. I heard rumor that prior to the passing of James B Lansing he had the foresight to name his famous tweeter “001”. Coincidence, I think not - 

Jethro decides to become a "double naught" spy...

Speaker Spy.🤓

😇

• Haha 1

Well, to be fair here, he says he worked 'with the Altec VOTT' not 'at Altec', but the VOTT covers about 15 different models. Different ones were 'the Big Boys'.

3 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Well, to be fair here, he says he worked 'with the Altec VOTT' not 'at Altec', but the VOTT covers about 15 different models. Different ones were 'the Big Boys'.

"relax man" chill out, don't get so excited, calm down, .. lol

Okay, fair enough.
It is also fair to say that most of what someone has posted has not passed the sniff test, most of the posts have been edited or deleted, and that the behavior plus then disregard of that behavior has critically damaged this forum. 

Ignoring the iceberg and the destruction has not helped the decent.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, avguytx said:

I have a good friend in Phoenix that has a set of those and has had them for close to 30 years now.  Those things are the shiznit and love being played on a big Mac 2300.  We tripped a house breaker one night jamming, maybe 1996 or so, and that amp was just coasting.  I still remember it to this day.

Needs 30 A Circuit. 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

Picture just for size perspective. Early in life, I wanted VOTT speakers. Luckily, I saw and heard La Scalas at a party.

DSCF0992.JPG.20baa4840a00556476552b6541cabdc9.JPG

For many years the Altec horns were considered THE upgrade for a K400 on the LS/Khorn.

My LS will keep up with a lot of speakers out there but part of me still wants to build a set of A7 cabs.

Or maybe I’ll just refinish my LS in VOTT gray.

IMG_1663.jpeg.8417b54733c11c418a966a651a0b95cd.jpeg

• Like 2