So many SUBS so little time. I'm in the market for an upgrade

mmiles

There has been a lot hot topics debating subs lately on the forums that I subscribe to. BTW the forums are Klipsch / Home Theater Spot / Home Theater Forum / AVS Forum are there others or have I hit the basics? I must say the Klipsch forum is rather open and up beat when discussing other speaker companies. Any way I am off topic and I do appologize lets return to the subject.

Many claim that the Velodyne HG18 series II is the bomb... litterly and sonically, but at $2800.00 or so shouldn't it be? Then there are those that tout the EARTHQUAKE (cute name)Mark IV 12P and 15P, again we are $1900 and $2600. There are Sunfire worshipers as well. I think there latest is the Signature line? Not sure of pricing. The infamous "EAR" has suggested the Paradigm PW2200 I think here recently. Pricing unknown at least to me.

I have looked at some very aggressive web pricing on the Klipsch RSW 15 at about $1195, HSU VTF-3 at $909 (with freight) and what seems to be the best bang or shall I say boom for the buck the SVS PC Plus and Ultra ranging from about $850 - $1300 + freight depending on model and amp.

So what have I missed that an average Joe (actually Mike) can afford, appreciate in true sonic value, construction differences and longevity without breaking the bank? All mentioned above are players and in the budget but the spread is rather large. It's not like last Sunday take Tampa Bay and give up the 3 points!

Regards,

mm

I have twin SVS Ultras and an older Velodyne F-1800RII 18" sub. I prefer the two SVS to the single Velodyne. In my listening room there are fewer peaks and nulls in the bass range using twin subs, one located in each of the front corners as opposed to the one big Velodyne in one corner. I've spent 100's of hours with my SPL meter checking out different sub locations and the frequency response.

The SVS take up less floor space and are much easier to move around than one large sub. My Velodyne developed a problem a while back with the amp where it wants to pop sometimes when powering-up. I'll have to remove the amp and send it in for service. Considering this problem, I like the Ultra with separate amp.

I prefer the SVS over my single Velodyne on music and HT. Again I think alot of this is due to having two subs located in different positions (at least this seems to be the case in my listening room). With twin subs you have the option to locate them in the same area or separately (flexability to locate them best for your room).

I've had my SVS over a year now and am extremely satisfied. I use the Rane Parametric EQ that SVS sells also. If you tend to get boomy bass in your listening room the EQ does wonders. My room has a bad peak at 36hz (+14 dB). The peak is a little less of a problem with the SVS than the Velodyne but still troublesome. With the EQ I got rid of the peak and all boom is gone (never knew bass could be this good).

Doug C

I have a Velodyne in a HT situation now...front middle just to the left of the center speaker... Incredible.

You get what you pay for. Might not be necessary to go all the way to the top of the line, too, with Velodyne.

Even circut city carries a consumer one for like 499.. Very close to a SVS.

----------------

On 12/10/2002 2:36:51 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Even circut city carries a consumer one for like 499.. Very close to a SVS.

---------------

... in price, right? I know you don't mean performance. I used to have the $499 (well, actually, $599) Velo from CC (CT-120) and I replaced it with a barely used SVS 20-39PC for $450 and it kicked the sn*t out of the CT-120...

DD

I'll throw my $0.02 in here. I had the Paradigm PW2200 with my system and it is a VERY good sub. You should be able to get it for less that it's $800 (US) retail. I was very pleased with it; very musical and still had good thumpage for HT applications.

But, I recently upgraded to the SVS 20-39PC+ and took advantage of the summer sale price. Oh my, what a sub. As good as the PW2200 is, the SVS is that much better. I haven't done a lot of music listening with the new sub, but for movies it sure rocks. So far, it has done well with music too, so you can't go wrong there.

Sorry, m00n, I tried the RSW-15 after having had about a year of stacked SVS Ultras. Stacking them head-to-head allows one set of ports to fire off the floor and the other oof the ceiling... and there is not cancelling out due to having subs in different corners... and they are so clean that the deep sound seems to be coming from whatever 6.1 speaker is playing the associated sound to the deep bass over 85Hz. I haven't tried stacked RSW-15's... but that is where I would go if I was still the hard headed all Klipsch fiend that I used to be. Cheers! -hornED

Well I don't have a real sub at all(maybe someday).

For the time being though I'm using my GK electric bass amp as a sub.

380 watts into 2x10" speakers in a slot ported cabinet is not two bad.

As far as I can tell with a BassMekanik test tone CD and an SPL meter it hits solid down to somewhere around 25Hz to 30Hz or so.

Some day I will have something like a DIY horn loaded monster, complete with twin JBL 2241G/H drivers.

98dB @ 1W 1m

30Hz-3KHz

15lb magnet structure

I like the specs on this driver except the $500.00 price tag, oh well once i'm rich and famous.

Peace, Josh