prodj not prod! get it right please!

prodj101

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered why the American Army used the term "rangers". This comes from the British Army and when I hear the term I think of British Army units like Rodger's Rangers, Butler's Rangers, Simcoe's Rangers and The Royal Irish Rangers. During The Revolution British and Tory Ranger units were VERY deadly and handed the Patriots many defeats.

They were experts at forest warfare and the arts of light infantry skirmishing and bushwhacking. Despite the common myth, during The Revolution the British bushwhacked us in the woods far more than we bushwhacked them. And the Brits were better at fighting bushwhackers, many a Patriot waiting along the road from Concord to Boston to take a potshot at the Lobsterbacks instead fell prey to the British Light Infantry ("Light Bobs")who were sent out as flankers, bushwhacking the bushwhackers so to speak.

So anyway when I hear the term "Ranger" I think of British soldiers making mincemeat out of Americans.

This has nothing to do with audio but came to mind.

----------------

On 12/12/2002 11:29:19 AM Orange Peel wrote:

Damn, I thought they were "O"'s not zero's, what are you trying to pull mOOn
9.gif

----------------

I don't know man, I just don't know... But, check this out, I have a odd question....

If you walked up to a peir, and say there was a Navy ship, it was NOT tied to the peir, can one human push it away from the peir. I reaize from the side, but if you pushed on it from the stern of the ship, would you be able to push it...

I think so. It would take a few secods, but given perfectly still water, no currents, ya... I be one human can do it.

Don't ask where that question came from.... It just poped in my head. Kinda like at the end of Ghost busters where Dan A's char just thinks of the stay puff marshmello man.

Tom,

Indeed the U.S. Army Rangers do trace their origins back to elements such as Roger's Rangers. But, although Rogers Rangers WERE definitely UNDER the British Army for their operations, it was during the FRENCH & INDIAN WAR...NOT our Revolution! And they were British citizens, because we had not yet separated from British rule. Sure, the British employed their own rangers during OUR revolutionary war, as did our own Continental government against the British forces.

There were numerous oragnizations on BOTH sides during our Revolutionary War who employed tactics designed to disrupt supply lines and routes of communication, as well as to whittle down each sides forces...and not ALL of them were made up of frontiersmen who were afoot. Take Francis Marion's provisional cavalry, for instance....it was quite successful in its short but effective history during that war...and our own military's cavalry units of today like to trace their lineage back to units such as those.

The Rangers were reborn during WWII, and in many instances they like to establish their lineage with other units born of that conflict...such as the First Special Service Force(U.S./Canadian), which is also used as one of the progenitors of our Army Special Forces(as are the Office of Strategic Services(O.S.S.) operatives of that conflict).

Today's Ranger Regiments are comprised of more-or-less individual battalions, which are further OFTEN broken-down into sub-elements (companies, etc.) and task-organized in a subordinate command to other units for specific operations within a conflict. The addition of Rangers to a unit's operations allows a flexibility and increase in combat power that would otherwise be severely lacking on today's battlefields....and allows those units to eliminate the need for reducing their organizational combat power to accomplish missions within their operations that the Rangers are better suited-for.

You may NOT realize it, but fully over 90% of all Infantry Officers in our Light Infantry units(Airborne, Air Assault, Mountain, etc.) are Ranger-qualified!! Having earned the Ranger Tab is pretty much a requirement now-a-days for a successful career in those units. Also, a very large number of the non-commissioned officers and enlisted men are also Ranger-qualified. You can take any Ranger-qualified SP/4, hand him a light infantry platoon...and he can SUCCESSFULLY lead it as well as a commissioned platoon leader could...they are THAT-WELL-TRAINED!! That same young man will have the training it takes to successfully lead a company, too!! In combat, platoon leaders are in short supply, so it behooves the Army to have plenty of Ranger-qualified personnel in these units!!

----------------

On 12/12/2002 2:49:22 PM mike stehr wrote:

You folks are just giving him the attention he wants.

The classic statement, "Don't feed the Troll" comes to mind.

----------------

While this is a true statement, it is becoming generally amusing.

9.gif

yes, but what kind of horns did the Rangers use?

what drums did they employ?

what was the resonant frequency?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Prod?

Prod!

PROD

ooh, just shut up and push -

prod, prod,

dig, dig...

2.gif

of course you don't get mad when people change your names because when they change yours it's a shortened virsion, not making fun of it. OP is a shortend version of oarnge peel. TPG is a short version of trespasserguy. Prod is a completely different word. and cattle prod is just insulting. And I know you guys don't mean it "lovingly".

Gregarious gets it!!!! Why don't you??? Notice I spelled his name wrong also as a subtle, yet simple way of asking for clarification....I have heard the word Gregarious but never gregorius....But he isn't getting all bent over it. He realizes its just a screen name.

So as I asked you Prod, I ask Greg...Is it Greg and Orius as your last name or is it a subtle play on words/spelling to infer you are "gregarious".

Prodigy- Your screen name is just plain confusing to me and makes me think of that one british dude/techno/electronic group that sings that song "Smack my B*tch up". As a ProDJ, you must know that tune. For clarification, before the females flame me, this song is about heroin addiction, not promoting violence towards females......Me, I love the ladies.

Prodig is another version I just thought of and since I am on a roll if you don't like Cattle Prod, we can rearrange the letters in Prodig and call you Pigrod.

By the way, yes I was state champion scrabble player.....Ok at least in my house.

Wow, I think I drank too much Mountain Dew today. 6.gif

Man, I remember prod having this same type of conversation with Ears a while ago, didn't he decide then he was never coming back?

Prodj, I doubt anyone here is trying to insult you, its just a shortening of the name, it doesn't mean anything.

And as far as "I know more about audio than you do" just grow up, we're all hear to talk/learn about audio.

On a side note, until you said something about djing, I thought your name had something to do with the band "prodigy" and was just spelled incorrectly. :)

-mkl