How do I clean the vaneer on some Klipsch Heresy 2 spekaers?

Glenn Moss

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has any advice on speaker cleaning?  I bought these Klipsch Heresy II speakers from Ebay around 6 months back and I have tried to clean them with water with a bit of soap in.  Lots of dirt came off but I stopped as I wasn't sure if this was the best thing to do and I didn't want to ruin the finish.  I have since looked on this forum and seen that people have said not to use water. 

Could anyone give me some tips please.  I don't mind leaving them as they are but if I can get the dirt off without ruining the finish that would be great..

Thanks

Glenn

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5977.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG

• Like 1

I use a cleaning spray that I spray on the towel first and wipe it down to clean them. I would recommend using a rejuvenating oil of some sort. I like to use this for oak speakers:

Howard    Restor-A-Finish 16 oz. Golden Oak
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Howard-Restor-A-Finish-16-oz-Golden-Oak-RF3016/100592964

Let it dry for a couple of hours then I like to put some wax over the cabinets to keep them from drying out.

Howard    16 oz. Feed-N-Wax wood polish
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Howard-16-oz-Feed-N-Wax-wood-polish-FW0016/100592963

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Glenn Moss said:

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has any advice on speaker cleaning?  I bought these Klipsch Heresy II speakers from Ebay around 6 months back and I have tried to clean them with water with a bit of soap in.  Lots of dirt came off but I stopped as I wasn't sure if this was the best thing to do and I didn't want to ruin the finish.  I have since looked on this forum and seen that people have said not to use water. 

Could anyone give me some tips please.  I don't mind leaving them as they are but if I can get the dirt off without ruining the finish that would be great..

Thanks

Glenn

you can use a  wet white  soft cloth with soap and water to take out the excess of the dirt , rub it thoroughly , and wipe it dry as the same time -

you can  use Boiled linseed oil to bring out the finish  ---once you are done  ,  burn the rags outside  as they can catch on fire   -

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

you can use a  wet white  soft cloth with soap and water to take out the excess of the dirt , rub it thoroughly , and wipe it dry as the same time -

you can  use Boiled linseed oil to bring out the finish  ---once you are done  ,  burn the rags outside  as they can catch on fire   -

I don't think you want pure boiled linseed oil. Search the threads for the proper ratios (BLO, turpentine and something else). Take the advice about the rags seriously.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I don't think you want pure boiled linseed oil. Search the threads for the proper ratios (BLO, turpentine and something else). Take the advice about the rags seriously.

best person to ask for advice using  Boiled  linseed oil is @garyeanderson   --

I've used pure boiled  linseed oil , I use turpentine first to clean the surface of the wood , then I apply a coat of oil  ,  and the thinner , the linseed oil is the better

VIP --- I burn the rags right away after I am done  , no exceptions -

Just now, Islander said:

If those speakers are clear lacquered, like my Heresy IIs are, don't go near them with oil!  A damp-with-water cloth is all I would use on them.

It is hard to read the label , Is it OO or OC ? Personally , I have not seen the "C" used before. Rather, I have seen O, or R, or L. Is this common knowledge?

Thanks for all the answers and advice folks that has given me lots to think about.  After I had give the speakers a good rub with water previously a lot of dirt came off and some of the speaker vaneer vibres on top looked a bit fluffy thats why I stoped with the water and tiny bit of dish soap I was using.  

Regarding the speaker wiring I am going from the speakers into a speaker level input on a sub. 

Edited by Glenn Moss

If they're lacquered denatured alcohol will remove dirt and grime, then some Tung oil will sparkle'em right up. Do not let the Tung oil soak in long. If they're oiled you can use BLO or Watco. If not too faded maybe just some lemon or orange oil. Water on oiled veneer? Nope.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 3:20 AM, RandyH000 said:

The lacquer coat is not looking too good , I would sand these lightly------wipe with mineral spirits or turpentine , then oil  , one can use linseed oil  or Watco Danish oil 

IMG_5978.JPG

Yes that was what made me stop wiping them down in the first place the section near the top of the picture where it is more white its like the fibres of the vaneer have gone a bit fluffy.  Thanks for this advice its great very helpful.

Just now, Glenn Moss said:

Yes that was what made me stop wiping them down in the first place the section near the top of the picture where it is more white its like the fibres of the vaneer have gone a bit fluffy.  Thanks for this advice its great very helpful.

What kind of grit sandpaper would you recommend out of interest?  Something like a 1,000 or 500?

1 hour ago, Glenn Moss said:

What kind of grit sandpaper would you recommend out of interest?  Something like a 1,000 or 500?

sounds perfect   500 --1000 -  orbital sander , with very light passes in the direction of the grain -

• Like 1