Just bought Hersey Gen1 for $100. I should have opened them up before I bought.

I can understand the buyer/seller on the one hand because he might be afraid of the effort to get the parts the same for left and right. But on the other hand, I think it's a shame to spend so much time consulting. In the end, the advice and information from all of us on the value of the parts gave him the idea to make a quick deal. Sad for the speaker. On the other hand it will keep other vintage speakers alive :)

When people don't hear "one voice", they throw in the towel. The only thing he really needed to do was find a single K-55 off of eBay. He could have done the network thing later.

Like I told someone else lately, the pearl-clutching over capacitors kind of needs to stop, there just isn't any real point to it. Over the years, and not just on this message board, claims related to varying sound and performance have been all over the map. Unfortunately, even Klipsch hasn't been very consistent with this. 

I have never bought into the placebo thing. I would have absolutely no problem sending someone to JEM if they emailed me and said, "I just want them to sound like they did when I first got them." There are also people looking for something different, and there is a market for that too.

Do they just want their speaker fixed, or are they looking for something different? So, we should try and discern what they are looking for and then point them in that direction. 

I try to view these threads now as a casual observer, and to be honest, it just looks like noise.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, geoff. said:

This is the collateral damage of what history will refer to as “The Great Capacitor Wars of the Early Twenty-first  Century”

Yeah I was a bit overwhelmed with everything.

I already have a bunch of unfinished projects on my hand ( Polk SDA-2B, Forte Gen 1 & infinity rsIIIb) 

I'll just use the $$ from this part out towards Those projects.

The fortes are matching # everything works, and they sound better to my old ears over the heresy IMHO,  only problem was some cabinet damage which I'm already in the process of fixing. 

Screenshot_20210523-170418~4.png

6 hours ago, Deang said:

When people don't hear "one voice", they throw in the towel. The only thing he really needed to do was find a single K-55 off of eBay. He could have done the network thing later.

Like I told someone else lately, the pearl-clutching over capacitors kind of needs to stop, there just isn't any real point to it. Over the years, and not just on this message board, claims related to varying sound and performance have been all over the map. Unfortunately, even Klipsch hasn't been very consistent with this. 

I have never bought into the placebo thing. I would have absolutely no problem sending someone to JEM if they emailed me and said, "I just want them to sound like they did when I first got them." There are also people looking for something different, and there is a market for that too.

Do they just want their speaker fixed, or are they looking for something different? So, we should try and discern what they are looking for and then point them in that direction. 

I try to view these threads now as a casual observer, and to be honest, it just looks like noise.

You know what the problem was? One tweeter was blown. The mid-range horns sounded fine to me, I couldn't tell the difference. 

The one that was blown had already sold on eBay, I had it listed for $40 I thought that was a fair price. If anyone is interested in buying some of the components please feel free to PM and I'll end the sale on EBay. I have no idea if the prices I listed for the individual components are fair or not, I just did a quick eBay history on sold items. 

I still have the cabinets.( The are for sale locally, )if no one buys them, I'll just keep them for a future project and buy all matching components. 

8 hours ago, Deang said:

I have never bought into the placebo thing. I would have absolutely no problem sending someone to JEM if they emailed me and said, "I just want them to sound like they did when I first got them." There are also people looking for something different, and there is a market for that too...

Someone should make a t-shirt that says, "Klipsch-CHANGE THE CAPACITORS!" 😉