Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

1 hour ago, Schu said:

it depends on what year and adornments your d18 has... is it Sitka or Adirondack? what bracing pattern? is it modified in anyway?

in as far as Martin set up goes, they come from the factory like that on purpose... CF Martin expects owners to modify their guitars to their liking and everyone's 'Liking' is different than anyone else's. what's more important when you buy a Martin is neck profile and not string height.

True...

I would have to contact Martin to see if they have the records for the '51 D-18 I had. Obviously, I bought it used in a pawn shop and they had no info about it. I paid $350 for it in the '60s when I got it. I figure the original owners of the 0018, D-18 and D-28 had already had adjustments made as I never had any problem with the neck relief/string height (without getting into the finer points of guitar maintenance).  I now the D-18 value is somewhere north of $4k, and I thin maybe more. Doesn't matter, as it won't be sold.

I did adjust the relief on the neck for the new D jr. that I was given by my best friend. Beautifully built for a made in Mexico guitar. All solid woods, unlike the X series with HPL backs/sides and some tops.  The D Jr. is a ridiculously fun guitar to play.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Is that permissible? I didn't know if that was ok. I'll put something up tomorrow morning.

Um, technically iffy, It says “audio related” in TOS I believe. Someone put a car in their once and I had to draw the line.

Guitar, Audio????

Close enough.

post away. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/26/2023 at 6:47 PM, Marvel said:

So... head over/down to the Lounge area and join the Guitars and more... section. We could probably get Travis to move some of these posts over to it.

@Travis In Austin

@Marvel Bruce and @Kevin cornette Kevin,

You are over here now.

P.S. Bruce, I had a chance to talk to Roy about Rat Fur covered Professional Speakers finally. Can’t find our email/pm where you asked me to ask him and what the specific question were. Can you shoot me a PM, or post in Pro “Rat Fur” Professional with your question(s) and I will answer them?

Travis

30 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

@Marvel Bruce and @Kevin cornette Kevin,

You are over here now.

P.S. Bruce, I had a chance to talk to Roy about Rat Fur covered Professional Speakers finally. Can’t find our email/pm where you asked me to ask him and what the specific question were. Can you shoot me a PM, or post in Pro “Rat Fur” Professional with your question(s) and I will answer them?

Travis

Rat fur sounds like a good way to hide speakers made out of sawdust.

10 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Can’t find our email/pm where you asked me to ask him and what the specific question were. Can you shoot me a PM, or post in Pro “Rat Fur” Professional with your question(s) and I will answer them?

I'm drawing a blank... must have been more than two days since I asked. I'll have to search. Thanks for moving the guitar stuff...

On 9/27/2023 at 11:58 AM, Marvel said:

it depends on what year and adornments your d18 has... is it Sitka or Adirondack? what bracing pattern? is it modified in anyway?

In 1951 pretty much all D models were Sitka, although some Adirondack spruce has turned up on some. 1953 seems to be the year they started using more Adi for the tops. Given the age, most think there is not much difference in sound. The only modification was switching to Grover Rotomatics in the late '60s. Since I bought it in a pawn shop to play and travel with and not as an investment, it certainly didn't matter to me then. I'm sure my BIL is quite happy with it, too.

On that matter, many who buy as investments often don't play their guitars much. Such a shame, as they were built to make music. 

• Like 1

I had this Fender bass back in the early '70s. Without reading the headstock, doesn't anyone... Josh, Duke... know which model it was. It was white until I stripped off the paint and stained it. It wasn't a Squier model. Maybe a Mustang?

Don't wake the cats!

mahle_arlo_2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

I had this Fender bass back in the early '70s. Without reading the headstock, doesn't anyone... Josh, Duke... know which model it was. It was white until I stripped off the paint and stained it. It wasn't a Squier model. Maybe a Mustang?

Don't wake the cats!

mahle_arlo_2.jpg

Music Master ??

Give me a bit to think... I had one and sold it to a guy in a Punk Band It had Stratocaster pickups. 🙄

26 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Music Master ??

Give me a bit to think... I had one and sold it to a guy in a Punk Band It had Stratocaster pickups. 🙄

I think the Music Master bass was the budget version of the Mustang bass and had the straight single coil Strat type pickup.

• Like 1

My squier bronco bass had a single coil Strat pickup in it, a cheap ceramic bar magnet with 6 pole pieces and a solid plastic cover.

i routed the body and pickguard a little bit and fitted a jazz bass pickup.

the pole piece spacing on the pickup is a little wider than it needs to be but it sounds miles better than the original pickup.

IMG_1490.jpeg.487e036a2fcd2c25f0a3fb0a9c61fb31.jpeg