Guitars and more...

the real Duke Spinner

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Looks like there is 100K worth of ebony in that guitar, even the knobs.

JJK

I think only the fretboard was ebony on those.

The 50’s era black LP customs used a one piece Honduran mahagony body.

The headstock overlay is typically dyed black holly wood.

Just now, The Dude said:

it's like I see one then I become obsessed with it.  

For sure. Jason Isbell was able to get Ed King's '59 Gibson Les Paul 'Redeye' (at Carter's). He won't say what it cost but his manager and accountant told him he couldn't afford it. He got it anyway.

7 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

There are some pretty good buys on there, especially around the $1500 range.

I agree, as well as a plethora of overpriced ones.

Since I've already mentioned Jason Isbell, he owns a few NICE guitars, but doesn't consider himself a collector. He plays them, takes them on tour. If he replaces tuners, he puts on reproductions and puts the original parts in a labeled ziplock bag. I should have done that on the '51 Martin D-18 I had, but I put on newer model Grovers that Martin was using. I wasn't thinking about the investment value, I was traveling and playing.

5 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

They didn’t have a single monitor on stage. 

In ear monitoring has made a huge difference in the quality of live performances. I think Metallica uses the Waves Soundgrid for all their effects now, as well. Not as many microphones and re-amping to muddy up the sound.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I went to see Metallica this past weekend. Kirk Hammett plays that Les Paul “Greeny”. It sounds fantastic. Actually, all their guitars sound great. I am amazed how good they sound live. They didn’t have a single monitor on stage. 

The Gibson guys are confused by a recent comparison Kirk did between the Greeny by Gibson and the one by Epiphone. He wasn't supposed to like the Epiphone as much as he did. They are selling fast at $1299.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I went to see Metallica this past weekend. Kirk Hammett plays that Les Paul “Greeny”. It sounds fantastic. Actually, all their guitars sound great. I am amazed how good they sound live. They didn’t have a single monitor on stage. 

Was this the show where there was some controversy with the general admission crowd and the line to get in? Some pushing and shoving ensued.

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Was this the show where there was some controversy with the general admission crowd and the line to get in? Some pushing and shoving ensued.

Not that I was aware of. This was in St. Louis. Most shows I’ve been to in the last few years have involved numerous rude people. I’ve never dealt with that at Metallica shows. Most folks are pretty laid back. I would highly recommend seeing them. Now leaving the venue was a different story. Very chaotic. I go to quite a few shows every year. Usually I gravitate toward less popular acts, but Metallica is up there with the best I’ve seen. 

9 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Just s note

Do jot discount Takamine They are producing fantastic instruments. 🙂

I didn't think we were, my friend.

They make some great guitars. If we had the vast range of good guitars in the '60s and '70s. There sure weren't a lot available back then.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:57 AM, Kevin cornette said:

That is one gorgeous instrument. Here’s my “Keith’s”, old 76 custom with my main battle axe of many campaigns my black 4001. Severe belt buckle rash on back side. Again I love your custom. That’s a work of art. 

IMG_1836.jpeg

That LP is beautiful!

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I didn't think we were, my friend.

They make some great guitars. If we had the vast range of good guitars in the '60s and '70s. There sure weren't a lot available back then.

It's ironic you mentioned that the lack of guitars in the 70s. I watched a show today on Prime called Heirloom Guitars. They mentioned how guitar sales dropped in the 70s and 80s because of the move to electronic musical equipment. It did pick up after that, and has been going strong for the last couple decades. It's a terrific show, they talk a lot about Martin guitars, it's definitely worth watching.