Recommendations for 3 way speaker to replace KG 3.2 (with a sub) Update!

Dewey68

A few years ago I purchased my first pair of Klipsch speakers and my first horn speakers ever, KG 3.2's.  I had avoided Klipsch because I had always heard that horns are fatiguing.  I guess I like fatiguing, because I really love the KG 3.2's.  I'm not looking for more bass since I have the sub (it's a DIY 15" sealed box).    For those that have had the KG 3.2's and have moved onto speakers in the heritage line, will I see enough of an improvement in the mids and highs to justify the change?  I'm currently driving the 3.2s with a NAD T758 receiver.  Love the DIRAC room correction.  I prefer the look of the Quartets or the Fortes, but if I found a good bargain on some Heresys I wouldn't say no. 

Edited by Dewey68
spelling
  • Like 2

Either with the horn mid will be a big improvement over the 3.2. I had Quartets and they sounded great, but had placement issues due to the rear passive. They have taken off in price recently too. I’d have the same issue with Fortes. For the price Heresys would be the way to go. Especially if bass isn’t an issue. 

• Like 1

I would ignore the Heresy, INMHO they do not provide the big open Klipsch sound.  I owned Forte II for 30 years and just upgraded to forte IV.  As long as you can place the speakers 10-12 inches off the rear wall that is really the only placement consideration.  Either the forte II or IV will give you enough bass to ditch the sub and put the funds toward better speakers.  GLWS.

• Like 1

You already have a subwoofer, so it doesn't really matter how low your main speakers will play as the sub's got the low end covered.

Assuming you're thinking about the used market, get the speaker that fits your room. The Heresy most nearly matches your kg 3.2s in size.

Will you notice the difference in having a horn loaded mid-range-there is a slight difference in voicing but if it was bad, Klipsch would have stopped making

horn loaded 3-ways!

On 10/27/2022 at 12:53 PM, Dewey68 said:

will I see enough of an improvement in the mids and highs to justify the change?

Marginal improvement due to bigger/better horns. Probably NOT worth it because you will be quadrupling the cost as Heritage speakers have exploded in price :)

Have owned KG4's, KG3.2's, KG4.5's ... really nice speakers. Yes; "upgraded" to Heresy's, Forte's, etc. and even as it was an improvement I was not "overwhelmed." The only REAL improvement I got was when I switched to K-510/402 style horns. But ... you will need bass bins since these horns will make Heresy's/Forte's/etc. sound like cheap bookshelf speakers.

Cheers, Emile

ADD-ON ...

Even though I don't think they are "Heritage" speakers, suggest you include CF3/4's into you search. Much better than Forte's (OK; have NOT heard the "IV.")

1 hour ago, Dewey68 said:

I've had the sub for a while, the main reason I have it is for home theater.

I appreciate all the input, I've got some more models to add to the radar. 

Figured HT... Deals are out there. Forgot where you are located...

• 1 month later...

Bought some 1983 Heresys in raw birch.  So far I like the look of them on the floor with the risers but I think I prefer them on stands.  Veneer is in nice shape on both.  Was thinking about wrapping them in some woodgrain black vinyl since the rest of my speakers are black, but I may just leave them as is.  Vinyl wrap would be easy to take off if I would go that route. 

Now I need to dig out my Dirac microphone and run some new room calibrations. 

• Like 2

• Dewey68 changed the title to Recommendations for 3 way speaker to replace KG 3.2 (with a sub) Update!

I picked up some Quartets this week.  Hooked them up last night and I'm really enjoying them so far.  Nice bass compared to the Heresy's.  I had the Heresy's on stands that didn't help, but I did have the sub helping out.  The Quartets don't need a sub IMO.  That wasn't really a surprise.  What was a suprise was the highs/mids.  The Quartets sound a bit more laid back to me than the Heresy's.  Maybe it's the bass balancing out everything more.  I'm still going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on some Fortes but I can see myself living with the Quartets and being happy.  

• Like 1