Steve Guttenberg‘s final system (including Klipsch).

KT88

23 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I wonder if his selection would be different if he didn't live in an apartment?

I have the impression that Steve has put together a small system for intimate listening in a smaller room. Somehow I can understand it, depending on what you want to achieve. 1.5 years ago I was isolated with Covid19 in my office for two weeks. I had small Stirling Broadcast LS3/5aV2 in the rather moderate sized room. I remember that time back very well. Listening was at least for some of the time more relaxed and at the same time more involving than with my various large speakers in a living room not too small by German standards. Maybe Steve thinks in apartment terms but maybe he also thinks like he heard most of the music. It's the same with Herb Reichert, among all the other medium and large horn speakers, his favorite if he could only pick one model is a Rogers LS3/5a. In my opinion it is not only about the room size but about the experience of these old dinosaurs after 60 years of listening to hi-fi. What I share with them is that it opens a window to music when small monitors don't interact with bass problems of a room as opposed to larger speakers. You can't have it all, but perhaps as we age, the memory of a sound produced by small speakers becomes more important than its full reproduction...or should I say imitation.

• Like 4

As I understand it he lives in an apartment in Greenwich Village, not a space ideal for large speakers. Many now live in condos, and are reaping the rewards of what I consider the new golden age of stand mount/bookshelf speakers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, YK Thom said:

As I understand it he lives in an apartment in Greenwich Village, not a space ideal for large speakers. Many now live in condos, and are reaping the rewards of what I consider the new golden age of stand mount/bookshelf speakers.

You know my current space is 14x18 and I was pretty shocked at how well the little RP-160m's filled that space there seemed to be a bit of a gap in the mids that really wasn't that noticeable unless compared directly to my main speakers but overall for the size and price I consider them a huge bargain. Their performance actually peaked my interest in the forte IV again if these newer little guys can sound so good can only imagine how good the bigger line up sounds.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

You know my current space is 14x18 and I was pretty shocked at how well the little RP-160m's filled that space there seemed to be a bit of a gap in the mids that really wasn't that noticeable unless compared directly to my main speakers but overall for the size and price I consider them a huge bargain. Their performance actually peaked my interest in the forte IV again if these newer little guys can sound so good can only imagine how good the bigger line up sounds.  

excellent sounding speakers!